Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1141
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jly51 View Post
I worked at a large dealership in sales and took deposits on bikes daily,once a motorcycle had a deposit it was off limits to anyone except the buyer.Good luck.
This has been my assumption. Thanks for that.
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #1142
interloper
n00b

Oddometer: 4
long time lurker and new inmate here...
I've been following this thread and read earlier in the thread that there is a huge disparity in prices in the US vs Canada...
...just curious why canadians can't just come into the US and buy the bike and ride it back to Canada?
interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #1143
CajunRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper View Post
long time lurker and new inmate here...
I've been following this thread and read earlier in the thread that there is a huge disparity in prices in the US vs Canada...
...just curious why canadians can't just come into the US and buy the bike and ride it back to Canada?
Government regulations / taxes would be my guess.
CajunRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #1144
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper View Post
You can, but there are lots of hassles and expenses. For most brands, there is also no Canadian warranty on US bikes. Do a search and you'll get some idea of what is involved. It's a lot more than just "riding it back to Canada".

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #1145
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Yep. both of our countries cling to their respective sovereignty, and their collection of taxes and fees. As Americans, we cannot go into Canada and request American MSRP or special pricing, especially on items or models unavailable here.
We are separated by more than just an imaginary boundary, but by laws and governments, sometimes for the good and sometimes not so much.

Like in the case of the CB1100, Honda allows our respective country's dealers one color to sell, different from the other country's, and knows our governments will not allow purchasers to share the different colors, through these laws and requirements. Seems the real controlling agent here is Honda. If successful, the 2014 1100, may be available in both our countries in several different colors. A pearl white, royal blue or gold would suit me better than the red, as Honda uses some fashion of red so often for their bikes here in the USA, but looks like red it is.

Oh well, I spoke to my dealer yesterday and I am still first on the list to option the first unit they receive, whatever color, as long as it is red... tomp dd50
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #1146
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
If it's *just* the colors, I'm sure people will be swapping parts soon 'nuff to have the color no one else in their country can easily get.

As for the price, as mentioned above, the imaginary line is a powerful thing. Ever try getting Cuban rum or cigars in the US? Heck Tylenol 1 would be nice. In Canada, it's OTC, in the US it's an act of Congress.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #1147
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
If it's *just* the colors, I'm sure people will be swapping parts soon 'nuff to have the color no one else in their country can easily get.

As for the price, as mentioned above, the imaginary line is a powerful thing. Ever try getting Cuban rum or cigars in the US? Heck Tylenol 1 would be nice. In Canada, it's OTC, in the US it's an act of Congress.
FDA allows our citizens just what they want us to have. FWIW, I love your signature quote. Who knows, you may be famous and not even know it... tomp dd50p
Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #1148
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
On purpose?..Why, did she lose a bet..
If your idea of A D V E N T U R E is looking for a gas station..then you are covered.
Not a fail, but it would have been sooo easy to add 1 stinkin gallon. Would have completely changed the way you do a trip.
Gary
I agree, and here's the way I look at that. Who would have shunned the bike if it had a 5 gallon tank? Who may shun it because of the lower fuel capacity? The bike really appeals to me, but that tank size is an issue for me.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 AM   #1149
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Well, I grew up in Colorado and have been riding out here for the past 30 years or so. I've never had a bike that had more than a 160 mile (safe) range (I've gotten some of my bikes up to 175 miles before hitting reserve but I knew it was a fluke) and it has simply never been an issue for me. Most of my bikes would go 125 - 150 miles before hitting reserve.

If you are on paved roads, there actually aren't very many places in the Lower 48 where you can go more than 100 miles without hitting a gas station. Even in wide open, empty places like Wyoming and Nevada, there are gas stations at least every 70 - 100 miles on every paved road I can think of. And of course if you're on the interstate, they are even closer than that.
Unfortunately that means you have to stop at each one of the stations you come to if you have a 140 mile range. I suspect what people are thinking but haven't quite articulated is that it's nice to be able to pass a gas station out west without stopping. Each time I have ridden out west I have done so on a bike with 200+ mile range, and each time I have found myself in a situation where I was a little nervous about where the next station may be. It's easy enough to plan around it, but it takes effort. If you are the type of rider who tends to drift, as many ADV types are, then it can be a bit of a nuisance to ride for an hour and a half then have to start worrying about fuel.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #1150
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
Yes, not a fail, or deal breaker by any means. Just tiresome always topping off the tank, but doable. If you are going off pavement..(god forbid..isn't it dusty out there??..) you will have to look into carrying extra fuel.

A little like my 1800 VTX..no fuel gauge..none . Now people said at the time "all you have to do is watch the mileage or just pop the cap off and look"...and they are right.
But it is still stupid when that could have been so easily fixed from the jump.
Cant wait to see the beast in person.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #1151
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Yes, not a fail, or deal breaker by any means. Just tiresome always topping off the tank, but doable. If you are going off pavement..(god forbid..isn't it dusty out there??..) you will have to look into carrying extra fuel.

A little like my 1800 VTX..no fuel gauge..none . Now people said at the time "all you have to do is watch the mileage or just pop the cap off and look"...and they are right.
But it is still stupid when that could have been so easily fixed from the jump.
Cant wait to see the beast in person.
Gary
My bikes:
73 cb350
77cb 550
74 cb750
75 cb 500T
92 TDM....

Bikes come with gas gauges and big tanks?

Never in my life have I run out of gas on a bike, and that includes on some pretty long trips in remote places. Being prepared and situational awareness goes a long way. When I do heavy commuting on a motorcycle I will fill up a5 gallon can at the house in case I am on R and not wanting to go to the station mid week.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #1152
jitterymonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
The CB 1100 was designed to be the retro CB 750, one of the best selling bikes of all time. Want to tour, fix it up yourself, like back in the 70's.
I agree.
This bike is a great base for personalization.
Want a tourer? Build it.
Want a Cafe' racer? build it.
Want to make it a hardtail chopper? No, wait,don't do that to this bike.

I'm sure the after market companies will start cranking out more exhaust,
suspension,handle bars, seats & fairings soon.

[joefast14] Never modify a Yamaha SRX-6, they turn into a money hole that you can never get out of.
jitterymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #1153
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
My bikes:
73 cb350
77cb 550
74 cb750
75 cb 500T
92 TDM....

Bikes come with gas gauges and big tanks?

Never in my life have I run out of gas on a bike, and that includes on some pretty long trips in remote places. Being prepared and situational awareness goes a long way. When I do heavy commuting on a motorcycle I will fill up a5 gallon can at the house in case I am on R and not wanting to go to the station mid week.
Where yat in NOLA? I am in Metairie.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #1154
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,818
Talked to one of the larger dealers in the south yesterday, they are expecting 5 in March, have 4 sold already... I think the big CB will be a hit.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #1155
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I agree, and here's the way I look at that. Who would have shunned the bike if it had a 5 gallon tank? Who may shun it because of the lower fuel capacity? The bike really appeals to me, but that tank size is an issue for me.

I dont think anyone would have complained about a little more capacity, however one of the design criteria is that the rider be able to see the two outside cylinders while sitting on the bike. This was important to the designer (probably more than it would be to potential owners, but not our call ). This determined the width. The front of the seat and back of the steering stem determine the length, the top of the motor borders the bottom, so the only place to get any additional capacity is in height. Make it too tall and it loses perspective. Personally Id have rather had it a little wider, but I can live with it..or I will live with it.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote