ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #6826
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
I still get the occasional white screen. Otherwise, it seems to be working ok.

Damn!!! I just got it out to check what Atlas said about USB mass storage and when I started it up, I got that white screen!!

Have you tried JaVaWa Device Manager on that gps to see if it finds any problems with it?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #6827
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Have you tried JaVaWa Device Manager on that gps to see if it finds any problems with it?
Not yet. I downloaded it earlier today. I'll install it tomorrow and see what shakes out.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #6828
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
how does one ascertain the age of a unit in a shop?If i buy one from a local shop i want it to be a NEW one not an old NIB one
I don't think a serial number list was ever circulated, but I doubt there would still be unsold old stock. Garmin actually stopped production and quit shipping units while they sorted out the issue.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #6829
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
A little primary on the frustrating Garmin language:
Hey! You plagiarised my post!
At least I quoted the original poster from the BC Forum........Tsk, Tsk, Tsk....

God, I love all the smileys we have here!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #6830
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Nice to know I wasn't just seeing things.

Thanks Mike.

Is that latest citynav too?
Yes, I have 2013.30 on my Montana. I reported it to Garmin but have not had anything back from them on it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #6831
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Hey! You plagiarised my post!
At least I quoted the original poster from the BC Forum........Tsk, Tsk, Tsk....

God, I love all the smileys we have here!
Sorry, I'm lazy.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #6832
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
I couldn't agree more!

Not all gps support non announcement of shaping points. It would appear that the Montana doesn't. and thus treats them as way-points, That's why you see the Blue Flags when the route loads.

I feel like I've beat this horse enough for one day.
daryl
Looks like I'm going to have to beat the horse some more.....

Here's another post from the BaseCamp forum, including response from a Developer.

Shaping points on Montana 600
Hi,
I tried using shaping points in BaseCamp (won't alert, grayed out), but when I transfer the route to my Montana, while the route is as I created it, it is full of Via Points. I'm guessing this means the Montana does not support shaping points? If so, can anyone say if it will in the next firmware release?

Desktop App Developer:
I don't think the Montana supports this. I probably won't be in the next firmware release. Please contact product support and request that feature. The more people ask, the higher the chances it might get implemented.

OK, so I must be wrong. If the Montana does not support shaping points, and does not allow the non alert of via points, doesn't that make ANY type of point you use in describing a route a via point?

And therefore doesn't it follow that the 50 (51) point limit applies? AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

AND....we seem to have been discussing via point limits on an autorouting profile and map, i.e. CNNA, without actually specifying that....my bad.

THERE IS NO 50 POINT LIMIT ON DIRECT ROUTING, BUT I CAN'T FIND THE ACTUAL LIMIT!

Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #6833
AlaskaDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Birdseye imagery for Thailand

One of the reasons I bought the Montana was because it has the ability to use "custom maps". My idea was that in certain areas in Thailand where no roads appear on the OSM maps I could use the Google Earth images as a guide, driving them with a GPS and then adding those roads to the OSM map later. However, after playing around with this approach for a few days and suffering through the frustrating tedium of correctly geolocating those images I began to reevaluate the idea of using Birdseye imagery for my map making efforts.

I've read quite a bit of the info about Garmin Birdseye imagery and have not been impressed. The customer comments on Amazon are very negative and what I've been able to ferret out in here and on other forums is far from positive. The money isn't the concern -- $30 a year is peanuts for a good mapping alternative to the GE images. But if the imagery is indeed inferior or out of date as many reviewers say, I don't want to waste my time on it.

Do any of you have experience with Birdseye positive or negative you'd care to share? And more specifically, have any of you have tried the images for Thailand or SE Asia?
AlaskaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #6834
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDave View Post
Do any of you have experience with Birdseye positive or negative you'd care to share? And more specifically, have any of you have tried the images for Thailand or SE Asia?
This isn't really a Montana subject, but Lost Rider seems to love Birdseye. I'm looking for a post of his where he describes using it. Not in Thailand or SE Asia, though.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #6835
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
OK, so I must be wrong.

If the Montana does not support shaping points, and does not allow the non alert of via points, doesn't that make ANY type of point you use in describing a route a via point?

And therefore doesn't it follow that the 50 (51) point limit applies?

THERE IS NO 50 POINT LIMIT ON DIRECT ROUTING, BUT I CAN'T FIND THE ACTUAL LIMIT!
Say it ain't so!
Yes.
Yes.
Try 250.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:02 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #6836
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
So I am pretty set on getting a Montana for my first gps... Seems like a solid choice.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #6837
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
So I am pretty set on getting a Montana for my first gps... Seems like a solid choice.
I have nearly a dozen GPSr..... I use my Montana every day!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #6838
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
50 (Shaping/Via) Point Limits on the Montana

All the discussions about 50 (via/shaping) point limits prompted me to perform a few tests of my own. The tests confirmed much of what has recently been discussed here, and my understanding about some of the limitations of the Montana.

In BaseCamp, I created a 30 point (30 via points, according to the route property window) direct profile route. I duplicated the route and converted it to automobile profile routing (so I could see how BaseCamp calculates the actual routing on roads (versus the straight lines shown between the direct routing points). I then transferred the 30 point direct route to the Montana. As expected, when loaded via the "Where To" menu, the route initially displayed as the direct route, while the Montana re-calculates the route, and then displays the route on the roadways, using the via points that I defined. The route calculated by the Montana matched the BaseCamp calculated automobile profile route (same map set loaded on both BaseCamp and the Montana!).

I repeated the process, but this time using an 80 (via) point route using BaseCamp (as shown by the route's properties window) and set to use direct profile routing. I duplicated the route in BaseCamp and converted the duplicate to automobile profile routing, again so I could see how the route would display on actual roads. I also converted the 80 point automobile profile route into a track. I transferred the 80 point direct route, the 80 point automobile route, and the 80 point track to the Montana.

When the 80 point direct route was initially selected using the "Where To" menu, it initially displayed all 80 points and all the direct line segments between those 80 points (along with the "Go" button). Immediately selecting the "Go" button resulted in a message being shown that states "Only 50 points can be used for follow road navigation." If the "Go" button was left unselected, after the Montana completed calculating the route, the route along the roadways was displayed, but was truncated (did not display) any of the segments after the 51st via point. The route's description box provided the correct length of the route up until the 51st via point (compared to the length of that route as calculated by BaseCamp).

When the 80 point automobile profile route was selected using the "Where To" menu, it displayed the full route with direct routing segments, but the "Go" button never appears. Clearly the Montana cannot re-calculate the full route for a non-direct profile route when that route exceeds 51 via points.

Next, the track that was generated from the 80 point automobile profile was loaded via the "Where To" menu. As expected, the entire track displayed properly (along the actual roadways) and selecting the "Go" button began navigation using the track.

To summarize, direct profile routes exceeding 51 points (which on the Montana includes via points, waypoints, and points of interest) can be used when transferred to the Montana, but these routes will be truncated to use only the first 51 points. Non-direct routes (for example, routes created using the automobile profile) which exceed 51 points in length cannot be used by the Montana for navigation. Routes created in BaseCamp using a non-direct profile (for example, the automobile profile), that exceed 50 points in length, can be converted to tracks and those tracks can be loaded to and used by the Montana for navigation, albeit without the turn-by-turn direction provided by routes. (From a programming standpoint, I assume the via points are loaded into an array that begins with a base value of zero and has a maximum value of 50, resulting in 51 location values being used for the route calculation).

My apologies for the long-winded discussion, but I hope this explanation will be of some value to our newer Montana owners, or to those still trying to make a decision on whether to purchase a Montana.

Bill Murray screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 05:20 PM Reason: typo fix
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #6839
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Good Job Bill!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #6840
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I have nearly a dozen GPSr..... I use my Montana every day!
Very reassuring... It seems to me when it comes to gps it is fairly simple. Like all electronics it just needs to be reliable and easy to use (relatively speaking). I will be shopping around for awhile as I am in no hurry, want the gps for riding the TAT later this year.