Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #46
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
How much did those shocks run you and what is the stroke ?

By the way it looks much better with the fairing!
Ginger, the shocks were a grand. I went with the pricier model because, like the WP forks, I can dial in the suspension I want. The shocks have 60 positions for rebound and 20 for compression. Also I can adjust the length and spring preload. In my neighborhood we have two kinds of roads, great and crap. The idea is, if I'm going to ride hundreds of miles on a crap road like the one pictured below, I can dial in the suspension to handle it and stiffen up the suspension when I'm on a good road. And stroke is 4.5 inches which translates to 5.5 of travel.

dpetersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #47
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetersak View Post
Ginger, the shocks were a grand. I went with the pricier model because, like the WP forks, I can dial in the suspension I want. The shocks have 60 positions for rebound and 20 for compression. Also I can adjust the length and spring preload. In my neighborhood we have two kinds of roads, great and crap. The idea is, if I'm going to ride hundreds of miles on a crap road like the one pictured below, I can dial in the suspension to handle it and stiffen up the suspension when I'm on a good road. And stroke is 4.5 inches which translates to 5.5 of travel.
Cool, thanks for the response. Yeah the roads up there aren't great but they sure do have great scenery! My dad lives in Homer and every time I go up there I do my best to get out a ride as much of your beautiful state as possible.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Cool, thanks for the response. Yeah the roads up there aren't great but they sure do have great scenery! My dad lives in Homer and every time I go up there I do my best to get out a ride as much of your beautiful state as possible.
Yep. I've ridden all over the U.S. and my favorite roads are still in my own backyard... the Seward Hwy towards Homer and the Richardson Hwy. out of Valdez. Motorcycle heaven.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 754
Subscribed.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #50
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

tires

My rear wheel is laced and ready to go. For the rear, I went with a 3.5" Excel rim laced to a hub from an 06 Dyna FXD that I picked up on Ebay for $75. Although I had researched the axle sizes for that year, this was a transitional period for Harley as they went briefly from .75" axles to 1" and then to 25mm. The 06 Dyna was supposed to be 1", but of course the hub I bought was .75". It was a nice hub and I couldn't return it, so I took it to the machine shop and had it drilled out. For tires, I decided upon Pirelli AT 90 Scorpions, which fit my intended riding style of 60-70% street and 30-40% trail. The reviews regarding street handling are excellent. Even with my shortened front forks, I still need to get the rear as high as possible to correct the chopper-like geometry of the Sportster, so I went with 18" 140/80. For the front, I kept the stock 21" KTM wheel with a tire size of 90/90.

The both tires went on with no problems.

The front tread of the Pirelli is beefy but still street capable.

dpetersak screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 07:55 PM
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #51
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetersak View Post

The both tires went on with no problems.

The front tread of the Pirelli is beefy but still street capable.
Edit the image links for you..

What brake are you using on front? It looks like harley rotor? And how long is the brake rotor?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

fender

With the tall suspension, the rear fender didn't look 'right'. There was too much hanging out the back with that huge taillight sticking out even further. I bought a hidden, under-the-fender tail light from Drag Specialties and chopped the fender to match it. It kind of has a dirt track look to it now.

I didn't take a picture of the stock fender with the new shocks, but here it is in the original photo of the bike.

The bobbed fender with the new wheel/ tire.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #53
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Because I am obsessed with weight, the new rear wheel shaved off another 9 pounds of weight (unsprung) when compared to the stock wheel. The front wheel with the Pirelli tire is 7 pounds lighter.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #54
JimmyTheHog
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Its looking good! It will be interesting to see what the finished weight comes in at. Not sure your doing this, but the Shorai or other L-I batteries can shave up to 10 lbs off. I went with the Shorai and so far, so good.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Definately looking better with the laced wheel and cut fender. Nice stuff.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #56
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Edit the image links for you..

What brake are you using on front? It looks like harley rotor? And how long is the brake rotor?
Everything on the front end is KTM. The front rotor is an oversized supermoto rotor, which comes with an adapter bracket to step the caliper out further. The only thing still Harley is the brake line, and Harley and KTM use different style bolts. I think I can marry the Harley line to the KTM caliper though, and I'll be working on that riddle this week, so more to come soon.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #57
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Subscribing: This is looking really good!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #58
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

A few weeks back I was unable to get rid of the play in the front end, even after cranking down on the top bolt as much as I dared. After looking at it further, it seemed that the bottom seal was hitting the edge of the steering head before the bearing seated in the race. I decided to try a spacer on top of the race. I used the old seal as the spacer by grinding off the lip, honing and beveling the inside, and then filing off the burrs. The race seated nicely in the steering head and the bearing seated in the race with no play. Another problem solved

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #59
dpetersak OP
Adventurer

I cut-out, bent, and drilled some aluminum plate to create a skid plate.

I also added some mini crash bars. They're off a 79 Yamaha 1100. The bottom is bolted to one of the bolt holes for the forward pegs and for the top I welded a tab to the frame.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #60
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Looking good!! Your skid plate is really simple!

I am curious to see what your plan is for the kickstand. I like JimmyTheHog's but I think his might be a bit too tall for mine. Or are you gonna stay with what you have?