Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #32896
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163
here's another.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/do...eed-rating.pdf

Just for fun, I had a quick look at my Scorpion Rally, and it is indeed the 54R.... that's probably because I try to keep my speed just a hair under 106mph when I've got the front wheel loaded to 467lbs

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If it were a supersport track bike, then maybe, but a WR? That same tire is often used on much heavier bikes, and will see much more abuse that most WR riders will throw at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
Thanks Thumpididump. I didn't see your post before I posted. Anyone have the cheaper version evidently without a rating?

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #32897
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,773
Oh no Lieutenant Dan, what happened to your legs?

Since there's not a whole lot of interest, and I want a project bike anyway, I might as well take what I have and do her right by getting her back in to shape. Despite the cold temps, I went out to the 'garage' (the covered porch of my first floor apartment) and got to work. Pulled the wheels, pulled the forks, and pulled the rear shock. Tried to pull the rear swingarm, but it appears that the pivot is nice and stuck.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #32898
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
Getting the suspension redone Skierd?
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #32899
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Thats the idea, unless an 11th hour buyer comes through. Or the first step of parting her out, depending on how the motor's compression check goes if I get to it this afternoon after the Super Bowl.

First things first, I'm going to throw up some tarps to make my work area a little more enclosed and hopefully a few degrees warmer. The weather's currently ranging from -10 to +10F, and I'm hoping I can at least get to freezing with some tarps up to block off the space and a small space heater running outside. So glad I don't have to pay for electric here... Not gonna lie, Denmah's my inspiration to just get to work and not bitch about the weather.

Suspension: Forks are going to Go-Race Suspension in Virginia for a complete revalve and rebuild. I've ridden a bike with their work done and it was excellent.

Wheels: Replaced the rear wheel bearings today (which is what got me started). Either going to stay with the 17" X wheels, or go back to a 21"/18" setup, or both...

Motor: 1st step, check the compression. If its healthy, I'm more or less going to leave it alone. The clutch is definitely on the worn side, so I'll be replacing the friction and clutch plates at least. If the motor isn't healthy... I'm not sure. Leaning towards sending the whole top of the motor to Thumper Racing for a big bore kit with head work.

Misc: I'm going to strip the GPS wiring and consolidate the wiring for the FMF programmer, heated gear lead, and heated grips. I might go back to a DRC tail light instead of the stock whale tail. I'm planning to do lot more trail riding and possibly some track riding, so its time to get a set of fat bars and beefier hand guards. All of its current luggage is going away as its worn out, might get rid of the rear rack, and possibly just replace the tank bag. Its also time to replace the brake lines and brake pads, ensure the calipers are working right, etc. Also time for new clutch and throttle cables, if only for the mileage.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #32900
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Sounds like a good plan.

My only current mods are to maybe get a set of SM wheels for weekday commuting, since they are talking about gas prices going up this year. I have the SV1000 as my street bike, but it gets better gas mileage than the truck, but the Wr250 will get even better mileage...and would be fun to commute on. If I can avoid getting raped on their cost, I'll get them....other wise it will be a 50/50 tire instead.

To each is own, but personally, I'd stay away from any big bore kits. I think you lose reliability, which is a key point of my owning this bike. The "gas and go" is really something I love about it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #32901
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Actually..along those lines....if anyone has a spare set of dirt wheels, or knows someone selling a set, let me know. May be cheaper to go that way with some 50/50 tires, and leave the full knobbies on my current wheels.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #32902
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
First things first, I'm going to throw up some tarps to make my work area a little more enclosed and hopefully a few degrees warmer. The weather's currently ranging from -10 to +10F, and I'm hoping I can at least get to freezing with some tarps up to block off the space and a small space heater running outside.
You probably don't want to hear that I had to mow my lawns this week.............
Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #32903
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,117
Well I can't seem to find the time or winter maintenance now. Found a new way to ride it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #32904
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,163

That looks like sooo much fun.

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #32905
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 442
god that looks fun!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #32906
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Studs are in my plans.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #32907
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post

Misc: I'm going to strip the GPS wiring and consolidate the wiring for the FMF programmer, heated gear lead, and heated grips. I might go back to a DRC tail light instead of the stock whale tail. I'm planning to do lot more trail riding and possibly some track riding, so its time to get a set of fat bars and beefier hand guards. All of its current luggage is going away as its worn out, might get rid of the rear rack, and possibly just replace the tank bag. Its also time to replace the brake lines and brake pads, ensure the calipers are working right, etc. Also time for new clutch and throttle cables, if only for the mileage.
Skierd,

Hope you can do a photo report with the wiring mods. As for the brakes suggest the Galfer or HEL lines and Black semi-metallics 1054 compound from Galfer .
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #32908
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I'm taking a group out to the CO. river to go riding this weekend......one of them has a brand new CRF250L......I'll hop on board his bike and take it for a spin/report back.......I tried to steer him into a used WRR when he was on the hunt for a new set of wheels.......but he wanted to buy new, he's vertically challenged at ~5'7", and he bleeds red (coming over to dualsport from a XR400)...........couldn't sway him......he also wanted to spend the new cost difference on personal gear/bike farkles.......which is probably fairly common.....

So I'll see what kind of dog the CRF250L really is......and briefly spoil him with my 350XCF-W
CRF250L - My verdict - heavy/gutless/lower end components than WR......heavier than WR.....non adjustable suspension..........he broke off his mirrors and bent the wimpy handlebar (cheesy handlebar similar to stock WRR handlebar).....but the owner is a short/~165lb/mellow rider.....for him, the Honda works fine......he won't be pushing the suspension, the weight is low, the seat is low......the bike chugs along "good enough" for him......

He handled everything I threw at him......slowly/cautiously.....but he made it (most of the time )

Sample of my backyard single track......video shot by a buddy this past weekend:

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/P397VJqqzzE

I'm up to ~500+ miles on the 350XCF-W now....dream machine....

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:25 AM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #32909
Honda55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Anybody want to trade for a sweet fz6?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860508
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #32910
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I'm up to ~500+ miles on the 350XCF-W now....dream machine....

so that was what at least three oil changes and one valve adjustment

I have ridden one, they are fun bikes!
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote