Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #1516
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

The two best things in Colombia are the women and mountain roads. Both have lots of curvas peligrosas.
The bike is out of service for the time being so no pics of calle curvas... how about the other side of this coin?

You the man!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #1517
emilymariaa
tinygiant

Oddometer: 2
Yes! go go go! Adventure away;)
emilymariaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1518
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
I have hardly had time to catch my breath since arriving in Medellin. It is the weekend and I need to get SOAT insurance for the bike before heading out into the countryside Orlando tells me. I will follow his sage advice and get some insurance on Monday. Colombia will confiscate uninsured bikes. That wouldn't do.

With no transportation I am limited to walking around the neighborhood and taking pictures of 50's Chevy moving trucks:

I haven't had easy access to internet and have been spending my time trying to keep up with Orlando. He's a mover and a shaker and knows how to get things done. Yesterday morning we hit the Metro station early and hopped a bus at the end of the line up to Eduardos shop. Here Eduardo is finishing up the new Sherpa wheel. Just had to grind down the spoke tips:

before putting the rim tape, tube and tire back on:

here is the new set of front forks for the Sherpa with the original triples bolted to the new fork legs. He welded a new bracket on the left fork lower to accommodate the Sherpa caliper:

and here Orlando is overseeing Eduardo as he makes spacers to keep the new forks parallel to the rebuilt wheel:

He had to run down on his Honda 90 to do some final machining to get the parts to work with the axle. Here is his shop bike:

And a '74 XL185 he is fixing up for a customer:

Hailed a taxi and hauled the wheel and forks back to the parking garage where the mechanic and Orlando helped put the front end on. It was pretty easy since the original Sherpa triple clamps had all the same mounting points for the fender, headlight and instrument panel.

It was raining hard all afternoon, so perfect weather for bike maintenance and assembly.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:08 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1519
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

This morning started out with clear weather and sunshine. Spent quite a while cleaning grime off the Sherpa with toothbrushes, Fab and water. Got the bike much cleaner and removed most of the dirt and salt from the last three months of riding and sailing across the Carribean.

Then it was time for some tourism. Orlando took me up into the mountains on a collectivo. Here is our tour bus:

Had lunch at a mirador where dozens of hang gliders were catching thermals:

and hiked up the steep trail to the launch site:

Beautiful views out over Medellin. And then it was time to hike up the hill and catch another collectivo bus for the trip over the mountain and down the steep sinuous Veo San something or other road that dropped back down into the valley. But not before winding up the mountain through pastoral dairy farms that looked like they could have come from the Swiss alps.

Medellin is a wonderful city, very cosmopolitan, almost European feeling. With all the brick buildings and red tile roofs it has a Spanish Mediterranean feel to it. People are very friendly for such a big city.

But I've been off the bike for two weeks between crossing the Darien and bike repair. It's time to hit the backroads. Maybe tomorrow.

Buenos noches mi amigos de aventura,
Juan Medellin

JDowns screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 02:09 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #1520
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Good to hear from you John... We want a pic of Sherpa's refurbished front !
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #1521
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
well said. I also like to say that its not an adventure if you don't get lost or if it completely goes your way.

Hey John, I made a post a while back making this request but I'm going to make it again thinking you might have missed it. I made a 'contribution' a few weeks ago but instead of putting my name on your tank, I want my name on a plate of food.
Hi Clem,

Sorry I missed that one. I'm on it. I got a little side tracked but will take care of your request as soon as I find a plate. Might take a day or two.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #1522
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Good to hear from you John... We want a pic of Sherpa's refurbished front !
Hi Mario33,

It's been raining cats and dogs all afternoon with thunder and lightening, but I'll be sure to post up some pics as soon as it dries out tomorrow when the sun comes out and I can wheel the bike out of the darkness and into the light. All this Colombian hospitality has kept me busy and the boys around here work so fast you have to be quick to get photographs.

Saludos,
Juan Mechanico
Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #1523
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Quote:

It was raining hard all afternoon, so perfect weather for bike maintenance and assembly.
Hi John,

Nice to read that Sherpa is coming back to life, there is nothing those old school mechanics can't fix. I enjoyed the pictures from the city tour. Internet forecast there seems rainy for the days coming with cooler temps, hopefully you can pick a route where weather gets better for you when you head out on the road again.

Best,
Vic
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #1524
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Hi Clem,

Sorry I missed that one. I'm on it. I got a little side tracked but will take care of your request as soon as I find a plate. Might take a day or two.

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Nothing fancy, keep it grubby. The best part of traveling is trying all the sketchy cheap cuisine.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #1525
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

Nice to read that Sherpa is coming back to life, there is nothing those old school mechanics can't fix. I enjoyed the pictures from the city tour. Internet forecast there seems rainy for the days coming with cooler temps, hopefully you can pick a route where weather gets better for you when you head out on the road again.

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I can't tell you how good it felt to get the Sherpa back together, fire it up and ride around the parking garage.

I looked at the forecast, and I don't really care if it's raining. Heading out into the mountains will be a blast no matter the weather.

I just can't get over how nice the people here are in Medellin. Really warm and outgoing. Quite unusual for a big city. It makes you want to learn more Spanish. It helps to be around people who don't speak English.

I got the Sunday paper and tried working the crossword puzzle. Got more words than I thought possible before an Engineer came in for his car and finished it for me. I have been reading the newspaper and looking up all the words I don't know. Great way to improve your vocabulary.

Anyone who says Colombia is dangerous and to be avoided obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. This place is awesome!

Saludos,
Juan Paisa
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1526
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
... I remember the last gas stop today buying 5.2 liters of gas at 99 miles on the trip meter for 55 pesos. If anyone knows how many miles per gallon that is I would like to know too. ...
Hi John! Here's how to figure that: 99 miles / [5.2 (liters) * 0.2642 (gallons per liter)] gallons = 99 miles / 1.374 gallons = 72.1 miles per gallon.
An incredible 72 mpg!
That rocks
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #1527
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 78
Columbia

Quote:
Hi Vic,

I can't tell you how good it felt to get the Sherpa back together, fire it up and ride around the parking garage.

I looked at the forecast, and I don't really care if it's raining. Heading out into the mountains will be a blast no matter the weather.

I just can't get over how nice the people here are in Medellin. Really warm and outgoing. Quite unusual for a big city. It makes you want to learn more Spanish. It helps to be around people who don't speak English.

I got the Sunday paper and tried working the crossword puzzle. Got more words than I thought possible before an Engineer came in for his car and finished it for me. I have been reading the newspaper and looking up all the words I don't know. Great way to improve your vocabulary.

Anyone who says Colombia is dangerous and to be avoided obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. This place is awesome!

Saludos,
Juan Paisa
Can't agree more! My son Ryan rode his 1997 BMW F650 to Columbia and I flew down to meet him. I rented a bike from Motolumbia and we traveled the "coffee axis" for 10 days. Amazing riding and the people were the best. Medellin was my favorite big city. I was surprised at all the public art, it seemed to be everywhere. Ryan had intended to hang out in COlumbia for a couple of weeks before moving on, ADV post: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770001 he ended up riding Columbia for two months, just could not leave. We felt safe each and every day.
Thanks for all your effort in posting!
Regards,
Kurt
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #1528
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Hola amigos,

My boots had some seams coming apart so I superglued them. And bought some black polish and spiffed them up since the ladies keep staring at my feet.
Ask for a zapatero (shoe repair-man)... They are everywhere and will stich and re-paint your boots very cheap... Might as well put new soles if needed. It will be a permanent repair...

Buen viaje!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #1529
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...You really have to watch it when you cross the border north into the U.S. after being in Latin America for a long ride. It is quite an adjustment to have to ride in a country where splitting lanes is illegal and everyone stays in the lines, and there are speed limits that are enforced more rigorously. Especially after having been in the freestyle anything goes Latin countries. ...
This has gotten me into trouble. In Latin America, they are more common-sense and 'spirit of the law' oriented, whereas here, it's all 'letter of the law'.
There, you have some latitude to operate safely as long as you don't get in an accident. Just don't get in an accident! Here, we're past the point of ridiculousness with the innumerable things you can't do, and when you get in an accident, it's no big deal, that's what insurance is for.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #1530
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
There are more camping opportunities than I would have thought down here. It was especially encouraging to talk with Arte in Reynosa who camps down here out in the countryside.

It seems to work fine to camp a few nights and then stop at a cheap hotel and take a shower and charge up batteries etc. You do have to stop earlier if you are camping though. But out in the countryside where there aren't hotels it is nice to have that option.

And there's no way you can travel for under 30 bucks a day if you are staying in cheap hotels. I hope other people start reporting GPS waypoints for these gems like that canyon I was in yesterday. It will make future riders lives a lot more fun.

Suerte,
Juan
I love this. It's so cool that you're doing this and reporting your locattions. And it's bound to remain a good option as long as people show respect to others and the environment and leave no trace in the wilderness. Or leave only the trace of having had a pleasant and interesting traveler pass through when people are around.

In the wilderness, it's a good idea to set up out of sight, though, as you've been doing, because some folks passing by might find you a potential target, or simply become perturbed by your presence.

If we become conspicuous, or irritating, it will become more difficult and possibly more dangerous for future travelers.