Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #241
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
New packraft seems to work ok. Fell off a few beaver dams no problem.

When for a ride on the R2 today. The river wasn't open, but the creek was and I couldn't resist .
Looks like a cool ride. Fun looking. Not many beavers around southern WI. All the ice / snow around here melted last month, not that we even had much this last winter.

We've had a lot of warm weather around here lately, 20 to 40 degrees above normal (close to 80 a couple weeks ago). Took my sisters kayak out on the local river system and discovered otters in WI. I didn't even know we had otters in WI.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #242
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Awesome!

That looked like a great trip, beautiful country. I was surprised it went down them so well, and when you kind of bounced off of the bank, tough little boat! Looks like you had a blast! Now go warm up!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #243
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Dude, you are way hardcore.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #244
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
What's the venue for the first whitewater trip? Looks like a good play boat.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #245
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
Took my sisters kayak out on the local river system and discovered otters in WI. I didn't even know we had otters in WI.
I love otters. Except for the one which attacked me when I was 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Dude, you are way hardcore.
Haha, I don't think so, but it was fun. I do hope to try some big stuff this summer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
That looked like a great trip, beautiful country. I was surprised it went down them so well, and when you kind of bounced off of the bank, tough little boat! Looks like you had a blast! Now go warm up!
I ended up hitting the bank many times, as well as lots of sharp beaver sticks. The boat is incredibly tough. I actually pinned it under a log with the whole creek pushing it against broken branches and not so much as a pinhole. I didn't get that part on camera, but I did end up putting some more (and better) footage of the trip up here.

Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here

Crooked Creek screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 08:42 PM
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #246
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
What's the venue for the first whitewater trip? Looks like a good play boat.
Not sure. I'm gone Wednesday to the coast for two weeks, but first free day I get I'll be heading to the mountains with the bike to try out some remote creeks/rivers.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #247
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,085
Epic.
Next adventure count me in
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #248
Leckster
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey, Crooked Creek

I'm from Edmonton Alberta as well and I've been going up to the Cassiar for the last 9 Years to do Exploration (I also was born and raised at Cassiar before the mine shut down in '92) and Quadding up there and did the Mount Klappan Trip as well but I didn't go any further then the actual Mountain itself due to limitations of fuel.

I do spend most of my time around the Good Hope Lake, Cassiar Area in the summer but on the way up I've mannaged to stop and do a few days at Tatogga and some fishing and Quadding around there.

This summer one of our trips is to finally head back into a place called Boulder Creek the access is about 7km South of Dease Lake and the road takes off in a Eastern Direction for from what I can tell and read it goes for about 100 - 150km.

Any ways if you ever find you way up around Cassiar again and would like someone to do some adventure riding with I'll give you directions to our Gold Claim where we spend most of the summer between Mid-June and Mid-July.

This is the map of about 80% of the trails I have found up there around Cassiar
GPS
I'm sure you recognize this :-)
Mount Klappan AirStrip
Leckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #249
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leckster View Post
I'm from Edmonton Alberta as well and I've been going up to the Cassiar for the last 9 Years to do Exploration.
PM sent. As it turns out, in my top 3 canoe trips for this summer is the Turnagain river, which is accessed via the Boulder City road. Are you going to go all the way to the Kutcho Creek Mine?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #250
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
PM sent. As it turns out, in my top 3 canoe trips for this summer is the Turnagain river, which is accessed via the Boulder City road. Are you going to go all the way to the Kutcho Creek Mine?
Hello CC...Do you have Laurel Archer's book Northern BC Canoe Trips Vol. 2? Do you plan to canoe or packraft the Turnagain?

Good chapter on the Turnagain/Ketchika River. I'll be in the Stikine/Muncho and Whitehorse area during the last 2 weeks of June. Anyone else have plans up there then? I envy your expidition river trips and someday i hope to tackle one of them. The Babine R. intrigues me which is more of a late Aug. or early Sept type trip...and thats only one river of many that I dream about.

My river ride is an 18 ft Aire Leopard.

GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #251
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 159
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #252
aquadog
Dude Buddha

With NRS frame and Carlisle oars, just like mine. Cool. Since I rent 'em, I have a couple Leopards in red and aqua and also a 16' Jaguarundi in aqua. I'm a cat type of guy, and thought I could turn more renters on to them, but most prefer (and probably need the weight carrying of the floor) self-bailers.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #253
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Hello CC...Do you have Laurel Archer's book Northern BC Canoe Trips Vol. 2? Do you plan to canoe or packraft the Turnagain?
I don't, but I took it out from the Library (love internet library ordering...) when I did the Stikine/Spatsizi. That's where I first got the idea for the Turnagain. We would have done it then if we would have had two weeks. I have volume one on my coffee table right now, as I'm also thinking of the Gataga/Kechika (since I found a free way in...) Laurel is good people though. Her and Tony Shaw were lots of help when I was planning to packraft the Finlay.

If I do the Turnagain solo, I'll packraft it (because the portage around the falls is like 6km) but if I go with my buddy, we'll probably canoe since he's a little more high maintenance than I am . He likes his hardshell, but I picked up one of these off Craiglist a couple weeks ago and I am itching to put it to the test. Much cheaper if you ever have to fly and the self-baling is nice.

What are you up to there in June, just passing through? That's a SWEEEEEEEEEET cat you got there though. Babine would be fun. If you ever need a pilot packraft or SOAR for a trip, let me know. I'm not too far from you.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #254
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
I don't, but I took it out from the Library (love internet library ordering...) when I did the Stikine/Spatsizi. That's where I first got the idea for the Turnagain. We would have done it then if we would have had two weeks. I have volume one on my coffee table right now, as I'm also thinking of the Gataga/Kechika (since I found a free way in...) Laurel is good people though. Her and Tony Shaw were lots of help when I was planning to packraft the Finlay.

If I do the Turnagain solo, I'll packraft it (because the portage around the falls is like 6km) but if I go with my buddy, we'll probably canoe since he's a little more high maintenance than I am . He likes his hardshell, but I picked up one of these off Craiglist a couple weeks ago and I am itching to put it to the test. Much cheaper if you ever have to fly and the self-baling is nice.

What are you up to there in June, just passing through? That's a SWEEEEEEEEEET cat you got there though. Babine would be fun. If you ever need a pilot packraft or SOAR for a trip, let me know. I'm not too far from you.
That is one good looking family you have there CC. Your a lucky man.
I like your new SOAR and it's payload. Will be interesting to see how 16' of inflatable canoe tracks on the water. Something about the Aire Outfitter series I find very appealing for a pack and paddle.

Yes, a whirlwind trip though the north....I'm due. I lived in Whitehorse and Ft. Nelson many many years ago and still have fond memories up there when I had a honda XL500. I still have friends up there that I keep in touch with and more recently a friend living year round in Atlin now that I also hope to visit.

Eventually I have to make it back down the Cassiar to Babine Lake to help the father-in-law with a new roof on the family cabin. The last couple years at Babine have produced record runs of sockeye with some great sport fishing. I know you like fish so here's a pic of my son with an 8 pounder.
...and thanks for the boat offer. I'll be in touch.

GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #255
aquadog
Dude Buddha

You'll like the SOAR, I rent those as well! As you'll have found, pretty rigid when inflated, tracks well, kind of a combination between a canoe and a ducky, in that you can bounce off things that would be an issue in a hardshell. Put in footpegs or use thigh straps (or both) for best effect. Rolling up in a ball makes helicopter portages possible, since you don't have to sling a load and therefore reduce the number of trips - and there are rare places where a helicopter portage, if it's short, is worthwhile.