User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,613
Morphous

I've got a 2006 Yamaha Morphous that has been in storage almost the entire time since new. It's got a little over 13 miles on it and I'll be picking it up from climate controlled vehicle storage in AZ next week. I just ordered a 7Jurock screen for it and would like to know what tool I'll need to swap the screen out.

Is it a standard phillips head? Anything else you think I'll need for certain?

I'll probably ride it from storage to a condo I have in Tempe. From there I might ride it up to WA and toss it on the steamship for a ride north... or I might decide that I hate scooters and peddle it right away in Tempe.

Looking forward to trying it out.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,730
Wow! Great find.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 548
Wow- what a cool thing to get! I wonder if any of the systems need going through after sitting for 7 years? Battery, oil change, cooling system, brakes? It's been sitting quite a while....
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I'd find out what sized carb jets the Morphous uses, and get prepared to change them. Chances are, if gas has been sitting in those carbs for 13 years, those jets may be gummed up.

Remember that the then-new tires had a sealer that made them slippery until rode and worn off. Your bike may have this, and, combined with the fact that old rubber gets harder and less sticky - your tires may be extra slippery.
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Wow- what a cool thing to get! I wonder if any of the systems need going through after sitting for 7 years? Battery, oil change, cooling system, brakes? It's been sitting quite a while....

I've actually had it for a couple years but haven't ridden it myself, ever. First time I'll lay eyes on it will be in about a week. I've got the battery issue under control and the fuel has had stabilizer in it for the last couple years at least so I'm hoping not to have a snag there.

I guess overall though it'd be a good idea to do a general service on it just because. Hmmm...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Those are awesome scoots...here's a shot of one of my buddies on one...

'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,473
What speed can these cruise at comfortably?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I believe the Morphous is fuel injected. There is a recall on at least some of them. Wonder how many were sold in the USA?
http://www.bikernewsonline.com/2008/...p250-yp400.htm
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSteel View Post
Chances are, if gas has been sitting in those carbs for 13 years
Fuel injection and check your math!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
the fuel has had stabilizer in it for the last couple years at least so I'm hoping not to have a snag there.
According to the Sta-Bil can I'm holding in my hand your fuel should be good for an indefinite period. That's presuming the fuel was treated and the engine run for a few minutes prior to storage. Anyway you've got a cool scooter and what a find it is.

LL75

Edit: I just now noticed your post about the possibility of riding it "up north". Been there, done that a couple of times...guaranteed you might find a lot of the roads a bit unfriendly towards your Morphous. Considering it's probably as close to museum status as any other you'll find it would be a genuine sacrifice of a rare model. I hope your kidding...

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:49 AM
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Considering it's probably as close to museum status as any other you'll find it would be a genuine sacrifice of a rare model. I hope your kidding...

Not really. I know everyone looks at this kind of thing differently and I can appreciate other perspectives but in the fullness of time I've developed my own. The short version is that I don't keep a vehicle in museum condition for an anonymous future buyer; I buy it to enjoy it. I have few vehicles that others think should be preserved and not enjoyed. For example, the pickup I drove over the weekend is a 1983 and has less than 8000 miles on it. It's not perfect but almost.

Some think that's irresponsible but not me. I maintain it very well and enjoy it. I might put 10,000 miles on that little pickup this year and won't feel bad about it.

I'll be dead someday and when my time rolls around it will have been more satisfying to know that I've enjoyed my stuff rather than kept it all those years so that some other dude can put it on display.

I used to think like that though before my personal hour glass flipped.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Anybody know what kind of fastener that is that holds the windscreen on?

Nylon? Phillips? Bring a tool kit and quit being a spaz?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
It is a screw. There are four of them.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Not really. I know everyone looks at this kind of thing differently and I can appreciate other perspectives but in the fullness of time I've developed my own. The short version is that I don't keep a vehicle in museum condition for an anonymous future buyer; I buy it to enjoy it. I have few vehicles that others think should be preserved and not enjoyed. For example, the pickup I drove over the weekend is a 1983 and has less than 8000 miles on it. It's not perfect but almost.

Some think that's irresponsible but not me. I maintain it very well and enjoy it. I might put 10,000 miles on that little pickup this year and won't feel bad about it.

I'll be dead someday and when my time rolls around it will have been more satisfying to know that I've enjoyed my stuff rather than kept it all those years so that some other dude can put it on display.

I used to think like that though before my personal hour glass flipped.

I can't argue with that, it is after all your own property. I wasn't thinking so much of saving it for a future owner but rather not wiping it out on rough roads just for the sake of doing so. If that's what you decide to do then so be it, that's why we own our stuff. I've never been much for trailer queens but even so I still admire older or unique vehicles when I see them. That's all I meant to say, probably could have worded it better. How about this: Run the fucker off a cliff for all I care.

LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
How about this: Run the fucker off a cliff for all I care.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep that in mind but I'm hoping for better luck than that.