User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Day three continued

Next section was 15 km long gravel road to Bjelomici village. Nice and relaxing ride in a beautiful scenery. I came across another medieval graveyard and took a lunch break. There is something about those old graveyards which made them good places to stop and rest... Not in a weird way, no...

In Argud I decided to take a shorter route. Sun was getting low and I didn't want to ride in dark (you miss to much natural beauty that way). Another break at bottom of the valley.

Here you can see my ultra modern GPS and its high-tech handlebar mount

Road out of the valley is paved in sections. This was obviously designed as a major road but in reality it was never completed, most likely due to the fact that its not needed... Now it's not maintained, in some places trees are starting to grow in the middle of the road. There are numerous small landslides and it's just a matter of time when it will be washed away...

In Kalinovik I refill my gas tank and buy some food and beer for dinner. After that it's another 25 km of gravel to my overnight destination, Orlovacko jezero lake at Zelengora mountain. I used to camp there few times with my parents when I was younger so I knew what to expect. It' always nice to return to such a great places...

I arrived at sunset and managed to pitch my tent and gather some firewood before it was to dark. I found some fresh mint for a tea. When I wanted to start a fire I realized that my lighter was empty, never bothered to check it out before departure. That was a moment when I realized that it's actually a good thing to have other people camping nearby :) My first neighbors were a group of students from Czech Republic, three girls and two guys. They were hitchhiking around Bosnia and climbing some mountains. They had no maps, no GPSs. As I said, this lake is in the middle of the mountain, 25 km of gravel road to closest civilization. Only people using it were campers. Czech walked all the way and planned to hike to some peaks next day and after that to hike to the other side. Only, there was one trouble: they were out of food. I offered to give them some cans of tuna. At first they refused. Then they wanted to give me some money for it. Finally they just accepted it. They were much less shy when I offered a beer It was a beautiful night around a campfire with new friends. For somebody who is shy as I am it was big step.

After a long time I spent the night far away from city lights. I almost forgot how many stars there are...

This was a short day, only 150 km, but it was obvious that I'll have "problems" with many following days because distances are getting longer and roads are unknown to me. It just takes so much time to cover any distance when riding as I do: go slow and stop every so often to take photos. It caused many nervous afternoons in next few days :)

Gliga screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:37 AM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmike View Post
Hey Gliga

Thank you for the RR and the great pic from the Balkan Countrys.

This year i will come the fifth time to the Balkans, a few of your tracks i rode the last year other are new and i will say thanks for the gpx file.

see you maybe
I just went trough some of your photos, we camped in exactly the same spot on Zelengora, and on Durmitor (lake was gone by the time I was there) I see that you found some great roads.

I'm glad that files are helpful to you. I know how much time was spent preparing and finding nice route, and that was for somebody with local knowledge...

This year I'm planning an even more ambitious trip: Montenegro, Albania (as much offroad as possible in the northern mountains) and Macedonia. Depending on available time I might add some more routes trough Bosnia...

Gliga screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 12:08 PM
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradex56 View Post
ello, I want to return this summer to shoot in Bosnia. I love the mountain roads and dirt roads. Where do you advise me to do a ride? Thank you from Italy
For starters, you will not go wrong with using GPS tracks that Gliga here posted :).
svestenik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day four

I woke up to a beautiful morning. It was to cold for a swim but perfect none the less.

As fresh as it gets. Breakfast time.

I don't want to leave this place. On the other hand I want to leave as soon as possible, eager to experience rest of the trip. I took my time with breakfast, making some tea and breaking the camp down. By the time I was packed and ready to go it was 11.

Road soon enters the forest. Nice and relaxing morning ride with many breaks. Scenery is just to good to pass quickly.

Time for some snacks.

After 25 km of gravel I get to one short section of pavement which will connect to another gravel road.

Next on agenda is climb to Lebrsnik mountain from the northern side. I wasn't sure if this climb was possible. Only info I had came from few Panoramio photos, involving bicycles, which showed the road to be pretty damaged. First part is steep but easy to ride with good crushed stone surface. After I climbed above the tree line road conditions deteriorated.

Soon I rejoin with normal gravel road on southern slope. From there it's few kilometers of good gravel to the top. It's time for a lunch break and location is simply breath-taking. Patty and yesterdays bread never tasted so good. This was another of those very special moments, when everything seems just right, when life makes sense...

Zelengora, where I spent previous night, in the distance.

Unwillingly I move on. South slope of Lebrsnik is gentle. There are no attractive high mountains and that makes me feel like adventure has past its prime (I was wrong, of course). Road down was in worse shape than I expected with several tricky sections. Steep downhill and large loose rocks...

Once off the mountain I find myself at lake Gatacko jezero. Artificial lake which is just stunningly beautiful. It's not hot enough to convince me to take a swim break. Instead I just ride around.

It's a short ride from there to border crossing. There is no traffic and I enjoyed wide pavement road. It turns out that this border crossing is only for locals, I would have to go to another one. It instantly ads 80 km to my route. What's worse for me is that I'll have to skip few off road sections. Needless to say, ride back was even more enjoyable because I knew there were no police radars around

Road to the border is fast and twisty, with little traffic. I'm the only one at the crossing. Bosnian officer approaches me with huge smile. He shakes my hand and stares at the bike. He didn't even look at my documents:
-Bikers don't need papers. I used to ride when I was younger...

Usual questions, where from, where to, how fast. Spark in his eye was hard to miss.

At Montenegro side I got another cold shower: road from border is under construction and will be closed for almost two hours. Positive thing about that is that now I have almost two hours to take a nap.

As the road opening time approached I started to prepare myself for a ride. By the time I was ready several cars got to the border line in front of me. Since police check takes five minutes per vehicle that meant I'll be loosing even more time.

Few kilometers after border I got to the construction zone. They are upgrading single lane, twisty tarmac road to a new, fast and wide one. I had a blast riding on hard packed gravel for some time. Rest of the ride to Niksic was on nice main road, fast flowing corners and everything.

Lake Slansko

Around 6:30 PM I arrived to Niksic. Time for a fuel stop and to restock on food. By that time I was nervous. It will be dark in less than two hours and I don't know how much more I have to ride 'till destination. Worse still, I don't know if my planned route is passable.

Soon after Niksic I'm on gravel again. In the beginning road is in very good condition. After every little village it gets worse and worse and soon it was covered with large-ish round rocks. I missed one turn and found myself in somebodies front yard. They were surprised to see me, offered me with coffee, cookies, juice. Hospitality of people in remote regions is well known around here. Since I had no time I just asked for directions and got on my way. Road lead trough something that looked like somebodies front yard. It's no wonder I missed it... Batteries in my GPS decided to call it a day which meant it was time for another break. Stopping down I almost tipped over.

Climbing up the hill views got better and better. Warm sunlight and long shadows, picture perfect world.

[

I was very happy when I got to pavement. Locals confirmed: 10 km of pavement and 5 km of gravel and I'm there. Paved road is just a single lane, twisty. It climbs up the mountain trough the forest. Then my jaw dropped... I got out of the forest just as road climbed to a pass. In front of me were high mountain tops bathing in setting sun. Just what I needed to get my spirits up

After pavement ended it was a short gravel ride to lake Kapetanovo jezero. I had another near tip over. Steep uphill section, very loose surface and sharp turn, with people watching just to make it interesting :) I wave to them, from second gear shift to neutral and loose momentum. Somehow I managed to keep the rubber down.

Once at the lake I found nice camping spot, close to three Austrian campers. When I turned off the bike any signs of nervousness were gone instantly. While I was pitching the tent my new neighbors invited me for dinner. By the time I finished unpacking it was almost completely dark. And the dinner was ready They weren't happy how the food turned out and I had just one thing to say: "It's infinitely better than cold canned tuna that I have":) And they had some very cold and very tasty beer, just to make it all even better.

After dinner we said our "goodnights". I spent some time just lying on a rock next to water, staring to the skies above. Life can't get much better than this

[/COLOR]

Gliga screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:39 AM
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #35
Mr Pif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87

absolutely awsome pictures! balkans are place to ''motorcycle'' especially their mountain terrains

p.s.: KLE rulez

Mr Pif screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 04:01 AM
Mr Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!

Thank you for taking us along!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #37
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 119
same Place

last year we made camp too at Orlovacko Jezero

on later evening we saw a Brownbear on the other side of the lake

same fireplace as yours

this year i try to cross the border near the Leversnik Mountain

i will follow partly of your tracks a must see this year is Kapetanovo Jezero

Thank you
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
last year we made camp too at Orlovacko Jezero

on later evening we saw a Brownbear on the other side of the lake

same fireplace as yours

this year i try to cross the border near the Leversnik Mountain

i will follow partly of your tracks a must see this year is Kapetanovo Jezero

Thank you

Just wait and read. We also camped in same spot on Durmitor, by the lake Susicko jezero. I'm glad that you'll be able to use some of my tracks.

Do You have any tracks from your rides and do you mind sharing? I'm looking for more tracks in Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #39
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliga View Post

Do You have any tracks from your rides and do you mind sharing? I'm looking for more tracks in Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania
Sorry for thread hijack, if this is off topic I will delete it.

Here is a track log from Croatian guys who rode Bosnia this summer:

http://megafileupload.com/en/file/39...-full-gpx.html

and a coresponding forum thread, but local language only. Lots of pretty pics at least...

Bosanski makadami

If you have specific location questions, I can point on the map where certain pics happened.

Although this site is for MTB's it has some more trails:

http://www.takeadventure.com/index.php

svestenik screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 03:07 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #40
Twinmike
Grandpa

Oddometer: 119
gpx track

Quote:
Hi

Yes i have offroad gpx tracks from Bosnia - Montenegro - Albania - Kroatia - Slovenia i ride the last years i must search a onlineplace where you can download it, or i send to you via e-mail
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #41
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Hi

Yes i have offroad gpx tracks from Bosnia - Montenegro - Albania - Kroatia - Slovenia i ride the last years i must search a onlineplace where you can download it, or i send to you via e-mail
It would be good if you can attach it online, I think there are lot of people interested in tracks :).
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #42
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
I climbed to Kapetanovo lake from Gvozd (gravel roads and some real off road over mountain plateau), that road is explained in book for MTB (bicycles).
I get there in the afternoon, went to the "bar" (small house by the lake) and had a few beers. Before the sun sets, cows and sheep come back "home" from mountains. It's amazing: bells, cows, sheep, echo from the surrounding mountains.
After the beers, I pitch a tent, set a camp fire and bbq some sausages. While I was sitting by the fire, two Polish 4x4 arrived, they asked if they can use "my" fire and invited me to join them for dinner. I was full and before they cooked their dinner it's started to rain. I get in to tent and I fell asleep (rain stoped after half a hour, but I was to tired) . In the morning they prepared a great breakfast . They carried "everything" with them (chairs, tables, a big pot.. ) .
No pictures, my camera was stolen (no pictures no RR) .
Cheers
Franc
francs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #43
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post
Sorry for thread hijack, if this is off topic I will delete it.

Here is a track log from Croatian guys who rode Bosnia this summer:

GPX

and a coresponding forum thread, but local language only. Lots of pretty pics at least...

Bosanski makadami

If you have specific location questions, I can point on the map where certain pics happened.

Although this site is for MTB's it has some more trails:

http://www.takeadventure.com/index.php

This is definitely not offtopic in this thread. Thanks for the links

EDIT: File is not working, it's 0kb large :)

I think I'll be OK with local language A za ostale tu je Google Translate.

Quote:
Hi

I use megafileupload.com for online storage. It's free and you don't have to register

Gliga screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 03:03 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #44
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Quote:
This is definitely not offtopic in this thread. Thanks for the links

EDIT: File is not working, it's 0kb large :)
Znam da tebi nije problem sa jezikom, samo nisam bio siguran da li je OK kaciti :). Ima na motori.hr forumu jos jedan putopis sa slicnom putanjom i u isto vrijeme, samo druga ekipa.

Corrected. Try again :).
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #45
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post
Znam da tebi nije problem sa jezikom, samo nisam bio siguran da li je OK kaciti :). Ima na motori.hr forumu jos jedan putopis sa slicnom putanjom i u isto vrijeme, samo druga ekipa.

Corrected. Try again :).

It's working now, thanks :)