Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #4816
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
We will be in West USA in first half of March, and we hope to be able to meet plenty of trails and GS community riders so we can share our passion on some nice US dirt roads..
Need to know more on where to be when ...

I couldn't even apply as my passport wasn't renewal was due and I wouldn't have been able to get one in time to apply. But I would have loved to do one of the tours.

Btw: do you publish the routes (not the route plan with dates, just the route itself) somewhere? Interested in what you guys feel is interesting in the various areas you're visiting.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #4817
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Of course with any technology or moving part for that matter, it has the potential for failure. It is a risk you take when using mechanical devices. Many of these failures usually lead to primarily minor inconvenience's and can be overcome while on the road. Yes on occasion you encounter a trip altering malfunction such as the widely discussed FD issue. Most electronic/new technology malfunctions are minor things such as your ABS stops working or something like heated hand grips going out. At this point in time in history, you really have two choices. You can either get on the train because it is coming whether you like it or not or you can keep your steam powered engine and continue to ride it and fix it till it completely runs into the ground and then buy another used one. I am like most I would guess, I like some technology and some not so much, but it's my choice to either buy something with the new gizmos or not buy it. Bitching about new technology isn't going to change it. BMW, Ducati, Honda, Yamaha etc will build what they build regardless of a few whiners. Technology in all facets of life is an unstoppable force! Oh and your third option beside new or old technology is to ride a horse I guess. For me personally we live in the best times for a motorcycle enthusiast, never has there been more choices with or without advanced technology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #4818
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
I didn't know that. At least they didn't break the frames.
The frames broke because they admittedly way overloaded the bikes. If you are going to toss out bombs, at least make sure your facts are straight.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4819
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The frames broke because they admittedly way overloaded the bikes. If you are going to toss out bombs, at least make sure your facts are straight.

Jim
Right, they should've both had passengers and never, never gone off pavement...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #4820
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer
WTF does that mean?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #4821
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I've looked at the turn signal mounting points when checking out the 2013, looks to me they are the same as on the 2012 so the nice small EU LED turn signal lights should fit just fine. That will be my first farkling job here in Canada, proper non-protruding turn signals :-)

Maybe those big ole turn signals are causing the headshake ;-)
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #4822
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Maybe those big ole turn signals are causing the headshake ;-)
Almost positive!

When I look at some of those press intro videos from South Africa I tend to think that I won't ride like that when owning
the new GS or GSA in a few years so I'm not shaking my head yet.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #4823
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Not yesterday but could be the same bike travelling around from show to show, I'm twice your size
Twice my size ??? You weight 440 pounds ??? I understand this bike travels from show to show, but on that particular picture, it is realy me that's sitting on the bike ... How did you get that picture ??? Just for my curiosity ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
I didn't know that. At least they didn't break the frames.

Those who ride GS in dual sport mode (i.e. that are not old and fat farts pretending themself that they are doing any form of adventure) knows OEM suspension is crap. There is absolutely no way you can perform any form of around the world trip with that, or any form of serious gravel roads. It will leak and eventualy break in matter of few thousands of KM. I know, I've been there. I kept few bended rear shocks bolts pictures if you wanna see some ...

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:19 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #4824
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Twice my size ??? You weight 440 pounds ??? I understand this bike travels from show to show, but on that particular picture, it is realy me that's sitting on the bike ... How did you get that picture ??? Just for my curiosity ...

Paul Jr 8
Oh, now I see, it's your picture from your post #4752, I've just cropped it to show the turn signals, well, the iPad did it.
I'm twice as tall I meant :-) BMW: Please give me the grown-up GS version not these small ones for kids
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #4825
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
We will be in West USA in first half of March, and we hope to be able to meet plenty of trails and GS community riders so we can share our passion on some nice US dirt roads..
I am in Los Angeles greater area, when you come, let me know, I'd like to host something for you guys.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #4826
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Hi NLS,

Yes I'm a free man. always been and always will.

Damn, that's a dirty job you have there Eric...
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #4827
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I was thinking just the opposite Jim...several with low post counts poo pooing the concerns over headshake.
Are you referring to me? I'm not poo pooing the concerns over headshake, but am saying that I do not believe that it is as big an issue as everyone is making out. If it is an issue, BMW will sort it. Period.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #4828
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
?
So where is the grand tour documentary of "some other brand", where all things got smooth all the way OR "that other brand" allowed to show what was wrong with the bikes in the movie?

I remember in contrast to the above, that they asked "someone else" to give them the bikes and they said they were not interested.

Maybe Eric should tell us how much of the extra spares they had in the 4x4 were actually used for the Laos trip.
Since Laos (and the rest of the four trips) is a much simpler task than the LWR and LWD, mostly for the photos and small video reports for marketing, I suspect spares use should be minimal (or none). Maybe he can shed some light if this is true or not.

Someone even threw in the video where two Greeks run at top speed in an African desert (with current 12GS) and one crashes... (where it is clear what HE did wrong, not a bike issue).

In any case it is interesting how every time a GS update comes out, it's like crabs crawling on the rocks when the sun comes out. My take is pretty simple: You don't like something, well good for you, don't use it.

I pointed my fear about the front end of the new model. This (but mostly my financial status) will delay (or cancel?) my purchase. My problem and my problem only - but I'll definitely give them time and the benefit of doubt. For "why", read below.
I have GSes for the last 11+ years (other bikes before and other bikes riden in between). Both the little Dakar and my 12GS were virtually issue free, except minor "consumables". I might have been lucky. I might have been lucky when both my GSes saved my life (multiple times). My Dakar's ABS saved my a** and my wife's on a slippery road where one car was already down a scarp and while we stopped there two more cars almost dropped too. Or when twice my chain came off (both times my fault) and no drama, both times with my wife. Or twice my 12GS's boxer "allowed" me to remain with two feet. Once a car decided to come out of a STOP directly ON me and 40 days later a policer car "happened" to open their door while I was passing and I hit the door 0 degrees direct (NOT the open door that would just bend). Minor scratches on the bike, I didn't even fix. The first car ruined the whole front right (headlight dropped on the street etc.) and the police car had to change the door. Few days ago, I "played" with a friend that has a 480HP 4WD drive Audi. We both almost got out of the road on a slippery turn. His Audi technology saved his a** while my "bad BMW brakes" and maybe ASC saved mine - it saved me from my own stupidity. You see (why) I find it hard to swallow that someone keeps coming critisising USUALLY without personal experience on the specific model, or because he was unlucky with his.

To get back to the point and topic: We don't care what people THINK happened at LWD or LWR or wherever. Here we have a new model. All say it is good. Some say there might be an issue (we don't have any details about). We will see while more people talk about it, let's leave it at that.

BTW, I just read a French mag called "Moto Revue" or something, that they had someone in S. Africa. Translated the scans. Seems they also sing the "all is great, it's the best GS that was already the best of its category" song. No mention about front end issues.

NLS screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 01:08 AM
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #4829
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict View Post
The way I see it is that where there's a smoke there's a fire. This minor fork issue is definetely an issue since the bike is marketed as an offroad worthy one. And I am no longer convinced that Kevin Ash just went down and got killed. Maybe he was pushing the bike too much, to an extent that most of your average rider wouldn't come close. But reading the comment from Bike mag journo which was posted here I am really looking forward for an oficial explanation from BMW. I am not planning to buy a GS simply because I can't afford it. It looks like an awesome bike but all the hype that's already surrounding it means for me that something's wrong here. And don't forget that we live in a world that huge companies rule, and they rule sometimes ruthlessely. Yeah, many of you might think that who's this guy making such a fuss out of it. Well, I am a rider and not a product and I live in a world where profit and corporate viability is King.
well dont buy one then.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #4830
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
well dont buy one then.
Exactly There's too much negativity from people with no intention of buying