Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Eggsellent! Splain to us how you keep the end of the pipe on.

I use two press fit spring plungers. One on top and one on the bottom.

The plungers are fitted to a sleeve made out a duct metal from Home Depot. The sleeve is glued to the inside of the can-end. The sleeve and can-end serve as a cap for the tube. You can see one plunger at the left side of the cap in this photo:

The plungers are inserted into the sleeve from the outside and are held in place on the inside with a small black o-ring. The o-ring is only there to prevent the plungers from falling out when the cap is removed from the tube. You can see the black o-ring at the base of the plunger, flush with the inside of the sleeve.

When the cap is put in place, the sleeve slides into the tube. The plungers line up with holes in the tube.

As the sleeve and cap are pushed all the way into the tube, the plungers are pressed so they can fit inside the tube. When the cap lip reaches the tube end, the spring loaded plungers pop up into their respective holes. Then the cap is secure in place and the plungers have no were to go. You can just see the tip of the top plunger under the turn-signal.

Finally, a large o-ring is fitted around the sleeve between the tube end and the cap lip. This 0-ring prevents water from leaking into the tube and muffles any rattling noises.

To remove the cap, both plungers are pressed and the cap slides right out.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post
I use two press fit spring plungers. One on top and one on the bottom.

The plungers are fitted to a sleeve made out a duct metal from Home Depot. The sleeve is glued to the inside of the can-end. The sleeve and can-end serve as a cap for the tube. You can see one plunger at the left side of the cap in this photo:

The plungers are inserted into the sleeve from the outside and are held in place on the inside with a small black o-ring. The o-ring is only there to prevent the plungers from falling out when the cap is removed from the tube. You can see the black o-ring at the base of the plunger, flush with the inside of the sleeve.

When the cap is put in place, the sleeve slides into the tube. The plungers line up with holes in the tube.

As the sleeve and cap are pushed all the way into the tube, the plungers are pressed so they can fit inside the tube. When the cap lip reaches the tube end, the spring loaded plungers pop up into their respective holes. Then the cap is secure in place and the plungers have no were to go. You can just see the tip of the top plunger under the turn-signal.

Finally, a large o-ring is fitted around the sleeve between the tube end and the cap lip. This 0-ring prevents water from leaking into the tube and muffles any rattling noises.

To remove the cap, both plungers are pressed and the cap slides right out.

Why, that is just by god ingenious. It looks like you did a good job too, having to work with those thin edges. Good job!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

So, I finally finished all of my upgrades and valve check. Here’s what I did:

Valve check
Removed all of emissions equipment.
Removed the stock airbox:

I had ordered the valve check kit from CJRacer that included the locking bolt, but I was too impatient for the part, so I made my own and went forward with the valve check.

The clearances on both the front in rear cylinders were on the low side of the range; the rear cylinder intakes were in the middle. After doing some reading and talking with a fellow inmate, who is a mechanic, I decided to not make any adjustments to the clearances and use this check as a baseline for the next check. So, having made my notes about the clearances, I buttoned everything back up.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

SAS and Canisterectomy

I had read that it wasn’t necessary to do the resistor mod to the SAS since you could change the settings for that with TuneECU; however I wasn’t sure about the charcoal can circuit, so I went ahead and made the in-line resistor.
I used the blades from a 15 amp fuse:

I thought I had taken a picture of the resistor wire plugged in, but I can't find it. I used silicone gasket seal around the connection between the blades and connetor; not much since I want to be able to re-use the plug, but just enough to seal around the blades.

A pic of one replacement blanking plate after SAS removal:

Fuel Pump

Since I was in repair mode, I decided to replace the gaskets, filters and other items in the fuel pump with the kit that I ordered from CJRacer.

Supahflid screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:55 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

CPR Rottweiler filter

The last big mod I did was to change the air filter from paper to foam. The installation was fairly easy, although one should pay close attention to both the direction of the check valve and the routing of the crankcase breather hose. The crankcase is vented by the intakes so the valve should be oriented so air can be pulled into the breather. In routing the crankcase hose, I initially had it pinched the hose as it came over the top of the motor and under the throttle body.

The plate and breather hose fully assembled:

Filter on with red pre-filter:
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

I almost forgot; I put Akra cans on:

One last issue I had was a leak at the gear sensor. I tightened the bolts and, so far, it appears the leak has stopped.

Once I had everything buttoned up, I connected TuneECU to change maps and turn off the SAS sensor. What I found was not only the circuit error for the SAS, but also an error code for the rear cylinder coil; turns out I had not fully snapped the connector to the coil. After some initial frustration figuring out how to use the program, I got some help from a couple of inmates here and got everything running like a watch. The map I changed to was the Akra map for this year model.

I rode all day yesterday for the first time since making the repairs and I am very pleased. The bike seems stronger and makes a completely different sound! Without the air box, I can hear all kinds of engine type noises coming from the engine. Awesome!

Supahflid screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:56 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #22
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
The map I changed to was the Akra map for this year model
The Akra map pulls strongly but is too rich and sucks fuel.

Try the Powertripp map for 09-11 bikes. Many inmates have used it and reported good mileage as well as smooth and strong power delivery.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
The Akra map pulls strongly but is too rich and sucks fuel.

Try the Powertripp map for 09-11 bikes. Many inmates have used it and reported good mileage as well as smooth and strong power delivery.
Ok, thanks for the heads up!

I found the '09-'10 map by Power Tripp; any word on if it's ok to install that on my 2011?

Supahflid screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 04:19 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the heads up!

I found the '09-'10 map by Power Tripp; any word on if it's ok to install that on my 2011?
You haven't read the TuneECU thread ? Nows a good time.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #25
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
You haven't read the TuneECU thread ? Nows a good time.
But I have read the TuneECU thread-at least a part of it. It's sooooo loooong, but I'll get on that!