Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5866
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingman1 View Post
I tend to let things go on the weekends: not shave and wear jeans. I look more like the rugged, GS rider, rather than the corporate professional, married with three kids. The guy had his son with him, and I think he was trying to show his son that guys who ride motorcycles have jobs to support the activity.
Ah. That makes a lot more sense. How old was the kid? Probably been lusting after a GS and thinks daddy should buy it for him. I had a female engineer tell me that recently her nephew had assumed that every adult that worked made the same wage, and they did the job because it's what made them happy..... seriously, that a store clerk made the same as a doctor. This was a high-school kid, not a 8 year old. Our "everybody is special" approach to child rearing isn't working.

Sticking to the intent of the thread, I regularly get "Aren't you cold?"
And I tell them "Nahhh. If it gets too cold, I just roll up the windows and turn on the heat" while pointing at the windscreen and heattroller. I ride a BMW RT.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #5867
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
It seems gentlemen that that it dos'nt matter where you ride it's the same assinine questions, my own personnel favorite was after a crash while out on the bings(left over shail heaps from mining) that left my mate with a broken leg the local policeman asked him "Doe's it hurt much". I tried not to laugh.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #5868
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
how in the hell would you be able to afford a GSA without one Or at least without working at one for many years for that retirement thing
Kept man.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #5869
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
(....not really a questions.... in fact words weren't even exchanged....)

This past Saturday I was out and about running about a dozen small errands which piled up during the work week. Even though the temperature was 22 degrees, maxing out at 24 degrees for the day, I was using the motorcycle. As expected, I received several comments about the cold at several places. The one thing which sort of surprised me....as I was out in the parking lot, donning all my cold weather riding gear in preparation for heading to my next stop, I happened to glance up just in time to see someone point their point-and-shoot camera at me and snap a picture. I guess no one would believe him if he said he saw someone out riding a motorcycle in the sub-freezing temperatures.

D R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 03:06 PM
D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #5870
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Real funny you mention that, I'm 35 and bought my first new Beemer 3 years ago. Even funnier, in this group we ride with is a friend of mine who's in her 50s and she and her husband have a couple beemers. Her nephew is 19 and he rides with us too, he has (of course) a gixxer and a hyabusa.

Well, one day, my friend said to him "Trent why don't you just get it over with, sell those two ridiculous things and get a 1200GS, you will wind up with one eventually anyway."

A 19 year old kid, just not gonna happen.
My first BMW was a R1150R at age 23 I think. I'm 27 now and on a F800ST. I started riding at age 16 on a 1200 Bandit and most of my bikes since then have been Standard or sport touring bikes with the occasional dual sport thrown in.

I'd be on a RT right now if I could find a decent one with low miles at a price I could afford. I love the RT personally.

Not all us young guys are squiddies on sport bikes. Those of us "youngins" that happen to enjoy sensible bikes that can take us a long ways just happen to be the exception to the rule.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #5871
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 236
My first Beemer was a '66 R50/2 at age 21.
Wish I still had it.

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #5872
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Not all us young guys are squiddies on sport bikes. Those of us "youngins" that happen to enjoy sensible bikes that can take us a long ways just happen to be the exception to the rule.
agreed as long as you aren't implying a sensible bike is only a BMW. I love touring on a motorcycle and I'm only 21. I learned to ride last year and have already taken two 1000ish mile trips with at least 3 longer trips planned for this year.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #5873
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
agreed as long as you aren't implying a sensible bike is only a BMW. I love touring on a motorcycle and I'm only 21. I learned to ride last year and have already taken two 1000ish mile trips with at least 3 longer trips planned for this year.
Don't worry about what you're riding. I used to ride with a guy who toured quite happily on an RC-51. He only used to get incredulous questions from other riders - but he was out there doing it (laying on a big tank-bag seemed to be the trick in his case).

My stiff old neck and knees now require a more "sensible" posture but the most important thing is to do what you enjoy, when you have the ability. I WISH I could fit in three or more long trips per year.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #5874
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Nope. The guy I quoted was talking about Beemers so I was speaking from my Beemer experiences that's all.

My SV650 and FJR were probably two of the best and most sensible bikes I ever had. I've been seriously considering another R****R beemer though. My 1150R was a sweet little bike that I had turned into a kind of RT lite.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #5875
510ebl
Restless...

Oddometer: 874
Quote:

Not all us young guys are squiddies on sport bikes.
Those of us "youngins" that happen to enjoy sensible bikes that can take us a long ways just happen to be the exception to the rule.
No kidding. When I was 24 (20 years ago) I was tooling around on a very used 1981 Goldwing Interstate. Fairing, hard bags, top case, CB radio...the whole deal. I can't imagine crossing the country on a "crotch rocket", then or now. But that is just me...nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #5876
c3eh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Guess I will throw my hat into the ring as youngest bmw rider, since i'm 19 and have been riding for a year. I like sport bikes but really more drawn to naked/supermoto second only to dual sport i just love the look and utility. I ride a g650gs

stupid questions:

"man how do you learn to do that it must be so hard" (referring to riding)
"a bmw, that must be so expensive"
of course the typical "can i take a ride" generally from kids at school

My answers for the first 2 vary depending on the person, the last is always "no" just sometimes more dick-ish
c3eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #5877
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Ive had a guest who is staying at my hotel for over a month look at the only bike in the parking lot (Has been the only bike in the parking lot for the past ~5 months) and say whoever rides that in is crazy. I laugh and say, "That was me."

But it was freezing a few weeks ago and it is soo cold outside!

Yeah, but heated gear goes a long way and it's been dry so less chance of ice.

*Goes on to talk about how some relative back somewhere else has a Harley that is beautiful*

Yeah Harleys can be beautiful but I don't make that type of money.

*Goes on to talk about how cheap it costs to maintain a bike*

It can be cheaper then a car but I put ~17,000 on it in a year and you still have oil changes and gas, but have to buy tires more often.

*goes off talking about how she wants to take a ride on the Harley that she has never seen as she walks off to her room*
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 AM   #5878
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Don't worry about what you're riding. I used to ride with a guy who toured quite happily on an RC-51. He only used to get incredulous questions from other riders - but he was out there doing it (laying on a big tank-bag seemed to be the trick in his case).

My stiff old neck and knees now require a more "sensible" posture but the most important thing is to do what you enjoy, when you have the ability. I WISH I could fit in three or more long trips per year.
ouch lol stretching out on the tank is too uncomfortable for me. I'm not worried about what I ride tho, I love what I ride but I do realize I'm crazy cause I prefer to tour on a middle weight naked street bike or cruiser with no wind protection.

As for stupid questions/comments (to get back on topic)
When I first bought my magna from my cousin I went to pick it up and put on all my gear with him watching.
Him: You're going to wear all that gear???
Me: Yep
Him: You aren't gonna want to wear that all the time
Turns out he was wrong, still ATGATT

When I bought my FZ6 a friend tod me after riding it I'll never wanna go back to a cruiser because the fazer just handles soo much nicer and is just so much better than any cruiser... A couple months later I was craving my magna or a judge (I had just test ridden one). Both nakeds and power cruisers are very appealing to me and theres no way I'm not gonna want a cruiser again

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #5879
gpounce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Guess I'm crazy too- I want no fairings, no shield- nothing, just me and the wind and the road. I layer up as needed and work out some kind of scarf/buff combo to keep the wind & noise out of the helmet. I live for the long rides, I get about one 2k or so trip per year but try to work in a few smaller trips in, and quite a few "days out"- otherwise I'm pounding out the commute unless its > 98F, freezing or I'm likely to get really soaked. My first bike was a "naked" Suzuki Boulevard M50 cruiser which I really liked but I was too tall for it and started wanting more cornering ability and HP for the commute, so moved to the naked Bandit. At this point I far prefer the standard bike posture. If/when the Bandit goes I'll get something lighter, maybe a speed/street triple or a vstrom. Carbs are fun and all, but I'd rather have FI.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #5880
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
*goes off talking about how she wants to take a ride on the Harley that she has never seen as she walks off to her room*
A typical American woman... you spoke to one about bikes... that's all you needed to write to create a post for this thread.

98% of American women are fully informed of everything they could ever want to know from current media sources. They know everything about all that is fictionally hyped.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote