Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #16
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 760
Yes, sir. Always more to it than the spec sheets,no?
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
More is "usually" better. Post a link. I am curious about 20+ (they don't know how much?) watt lights. I have not seen them on MC mounts.

Jim

They are rated at 27 watts. More details here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=11

The pattern is exactly what I was looking for. Not too narrow, not too scattered. The light output is nothing short of amazing. It is hard to tell that my 35 watt HID headlights are even on with these on. With shipping, it was about $68 for the pair. But they are physically large and won't work with many bikes.

I'm also experimenting with a set of 15 watt ultra cheap lights. They are smalled for a different bike. They are built pretty poorly though and I have low expectations from those.

worwig screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:28 AM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
They are rated at 27 watts. More details here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=11

The pattern is exactly what I was looking for. Not too narrow, not too scattered. The light output is nothing short of amazing. It is hard to tell that my 35 watt HID headlights are even on with these on. With shipping, it was about $68 for the pair. But they are physically large and won't work with many bikes.

I'm also experimenting with a set of 15 watt ultra cheap lights. They are smalled for a different bike. They are built pretty poorly though and I have low expectations from those.
Looks like a decent set of lights, and some people like a larger size!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfFleece View Post
Been using PIAA stuff for years. Never a problem-ever. Cannot say that for the riding buds who put the latest and greatest e-bay stuff on their bikes every 6 months.
I've had several PIAA products on several bikes and one truck I did a lot of not nice shit to off road, for a lot of miles. Never failed, lamp life always exceeded expectations. Sometimes you get what you pay for if you're really going to put something to use. The question is do you want to pay once, or...

The 1100 LED is what's going on my street bike forks once classes pick back up and I have some extra cash.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post

The 1100 LED is what's going on my street bike forks once classes pick back up and I have some extra cash.
Would be great to hear what you think once you get them.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Very positive online review

Quote:
The first night ride was a revelation. Frankly, I didn't know what to expect from LEDs, so I was absolutely dazzle (no pun intended) by the quality of the beam. The white light of the PIAA made the OEM H4 bulb look like a dying flashlight. Despite the narrow beam, they did a fantastic job of lighting the edges of the road, and no lie, I could see at least a mile down the road.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...s/viewall.html
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
I've had several PIAA products on several bikes and one truck I did a lot of not nice shit to off road, for a lot of miles. Never failed, lamp life always exceeded expectations. Sometimes you get what you pay for if you're really going to put something to use. The question is do you want to pay once, or...

Any updates?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Im running the 530 PIAA driving lamps on my klx250. They are bright and clean cutoff. They are bright white and make the main light look real yellow however

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I have a pair of aux lights similar to advmonster m60 (well they're the same actually, but i just didnt happen to buy it from advmonster), and in agreement with twinrider this pair does put out massive amount of light, scattered everywhere but far ahead.

This light works very well if you're riding offroad or trail at night, as it throws a wide flood to the sides up to a 100 yards ahead. however for on-road riding the wide flood is certainly cause annoying glare (similar to a bad hid mod job in a halogen housing). i think this light falls short and i still had to rely on the headlamp's high beam to actually see straight ahead.

If the claims in the review of piaa 1100 led is to be believed i need to see it for myself. A quick google search fail to turn up anything with photographical evidence that it can shine up to a mile ahead. None. Zilch. Except pictures of the piaa on the bike with the lights turned on. Nothing to show how far ahead the piaa lights up the road. Anyone can show me the light? (pun intended)

Actually i am looking into achieving something like this, but of course the lights ource of this photo is different, a 55w hid in a hella 500 housing, not for bikes.

*photo credit to kojack*

andrewhtf screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 10:18 PM
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

I can take a pic tomorrow night. Wifey would have my hide if i did it now. Lol. They throw a lot of light for sure and only require 8watts i believe

Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #26
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

I have both the Piaa 1100 leds and the Piaa 530 leds on my Super Tenere.

The 530s are excellent for supplementing the low beam as they produce a very sharply focused beam that can be aimed so it won't blind oncoming traffic and there is no need for a dimmer. I have them set this way and leave them all the time. They also produce quite a bit of distance if you aim them to work with the high beams. These are an absolute bargain on amazon for just $191.

The 1100 leds are more conventional in design, producing a bright conical beam, so they need to either be dimmed or wired to go on with the high beam. I'm running a pair and have them wired up with a Skene dimmer running at 10% with my low beam, 100% high beam. They produce a decent amount of light for their small size and the build quality is very good. They are quite heavy relative to their size and they have large cooling fins. I got mine on sale for $265. I think they're a good deal at <$300 (they're on Amazon for $297). If I was going to spend $350 or so, I would buy the Rigid Industries Dually D2s instead.

Not the best picture in the world for showing the lights, but that's all I can post at the moment.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #27
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I have both the Piaa 1100 leds and the Piaa 530 leds on my Super Tenere.

The 530s are excellent for supplementing the low beam as they produce a very sharply focused beam that can be aimed so it won't blind oncoming traffic and there is no need for a dimmer. I have them set this way and leave them all the time. They also produce quite a bit of distance if you aim them to work with the high beams. These are an absolute bargain on amazon for just $191.

The 1100 leds are more conventional in design, producing a bright conical beam, so they need to either be dimmed or wired to go on with the high beam. I'm running a pair and have them wired up with a Skene dimmer running at 10% with my low beam, 100% high beam. They produce a decent amount of light for their small size and the build quality is very good. They are quite heavy relative to their size and they have large cooling fins. I got mine on sale for $265. I think they're a good deal at <$300 (they're on Amazon for $297). If I was going to spend $350 or so, I would buy the Rigid Industries Dually D2s instead.

Not the best picture in the world for showing the lights, but that's all I can post at the moment.

Im set up the same way re: the 530's. i also picked them up on amazon for $191 which was a good deal. I did purchase a waterproof piaa switch and a metal mounting plate that mounts to my left mirror bolt from twisted throttle which works great. Just created a photo account so here are a few pics. Will take the driver view tonight to show light output on the road. Pardon my overstuffed fender bag. Needed to bring an extra pair of goggles. :)

Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #28
twinrider OP
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
Im set up the same way re: the 530's. i also picked them up on amazon for $191 which was a good deal. I did purchase a waterproof piaa switch and a metal mounting plate that mounts to my left mirror bolt from twisted throttle which works great. Just created a photo account so here are a few pics. Will take the driver view tonight to show light output on the road. Pardon my overstuffed fender bag. Needed to bring an extra pair of goggles. :)
Looking good.

Mine came with a waterproof switch, yours didn't?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looking good.

Mine came with a waterproof switch, yours didn't?
Mine came with a surface mount style toggle which i didn't have a place to mount. I went to the on off pushbutton instead and it works great.

Back to my morning ride. Just hit a turkey and had to clean the poop out of my pants from that experience.

Sent from my iPhone.using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #30
zachbrowning
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
The leds on those lights are wired in series so if one stops working they all go out.
Almost all LEDs are wired like this, the drivers are much more efficient when they're driving multiple LEDs in series. In parallel the driver's are having to dump a huge amount of voltage (LEDs usually run somewhere around 3V, and you're generally going to be inputting 14ish), meaning they're generating heat instead of light.
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote