Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #661
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
On that note, I met a guy the other day at the Ducati dealer.
He was coming off a CBR250 and test rode the Panigale.

I mentioned that it's a bike that im a bit scared to ride (because I know how fast all my bikes can go) but didn't get that far. He explained to me that he has learned that being smooth on the throttle is the most important thing. Apparently he was a newish rider but told me the Panigale seemed like a very safe bike.

While I don't doubt that it can protect the rider from some dumb mistakes, it can't protect the rider from being a dumbass or making newbie mistakes. I still want one, but I'll never own one. I don't have enough maturity to suject myself to that kind of risk.
It's no so much being scared as it is a matter of respecting what the bike can do to the rider and itself if it's improperly operated. I have great respect for my Ducati and what it's capable of.

That said, I'd never recommend a liter bike for a first one. For a beginner with a sport bike interest, something like a Ninja 650R would be a better choice. It's also a lot cheaper to repair after it's been dropped, something that will happen while learning.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #662
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Respect

The bike won't respect you back. It will kick your ass.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #663
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
The bike won't respect you back. It will kick your ass.
I never ask it or expect it to. It's an inanimate thing. It only does what the rider tells it to. You respect the potential.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #664
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I never ask it or expect it to. It's an inanimate thing. It only does what the rider tells it to. You respect the potential.
I agree, because I know how to ride. Some Greehorn kid won't know how to respect a liter bikes potential, and won't have the self control to not whack the throttle, and likely kill himself, or worse.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #665
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
I think something that's being overlooked here is that sportbikes are very unforgiving by (their racing) nature.
You can make a reasonably big mistake on a dirtbike and depending on the situation you have a decent chance to save it. On a sportbike, a very small mistake become amplified VERY quickly and makes a small mistake into a huge one VERY quickly.

I had an SV1000 for a few years and every time I took it out, I was surprised at how much fun it was and how unforgiving it was..... and those are pretty tame on the scale of sportbikes.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #666
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Despite the fact that it's not the best idea to put a beginner on a 1000rr, it will happend, just so they can tell their mate's, i've got a 1000rr. There has been few threads about the 'noob on a powerfull whatever', with opinion's ranging from, instant death, to a probably ok if they take it easy. I know when i was 18 or a bit, and had gotten my hand's on something like the 1000rr, the first time out, i would've said to myself, let's see what thing can do.....
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #667
rbrsddn
3banger

Lol

Look what can happen on the Mighty SV 650!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #668
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Look what can happen on the Mighty SV 650!
>
Reminds me of the first and only time my older brother rode a motorcycle. My new Yamaha LT2, 100 cc of heart pounding excitement . He knew how to ride a bicycle. He knew how to operate a manual transmission car. What could go wrong? Crazy high revs, a popped clutch, and a wheelie back flip in the 1st 20 ft, that's what can go wrong.
phoenixdoglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #669
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I think something that's being overlooked here is that sportbikes are very unforgiving by (their racing) nature.
It's amazing how much power sportsbikes have. Which reminds me, has anyone ever heard this story?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #670
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,146
It's not just power. A focused sports bike is excellent at doing one thing -- doing exactly what the rider tells it to, immediately, even if that input is "crash, right now!" Obviously, I'm paraphrasing a bit, but the point is that they react very quickly and with authority. Somebody who has not learned proper control skills on an easier bike will be in over their head quickly. Consider a total n00b toodling along at 30 MPH on the S1000RR. Said n00b hits a pothole or piece of road debris that was obscured by the bus in front of him (problem 1...no experience riding in traffic, no expectation that the two-track vehicles often straddle debris). Due to the impact, n00b cracks the throttle a bit and the bike suddenly rockets forward from 30 to 50 MPH in a short burst. (problem 2....no throttle control, probably also gripping the bars too tightly). N00b further tightens death grip on the bars and target fixates on the back end of that bus looming ahead. (problem 3...no experience overcoming target fixation). Noob panics and, instead of squeezing the clutch (problem 4...no muscle memory that the clutch is the fastest, safest way to cut power to the wheel) GRABS the front brake (Probelm 5...no muscle memory for proper braking skills...squeeeeze) and activates the ABS that will supposedly save his ass. The ABS kicks in, but n00b still has death grip on the bars and tries to muscle the bars to the side. The bike pitches forward, n00b slides up to the tank and then the bike lofts the rear wheel, pitching the n00b into traffic where he is promptly run over by a lifted diesel pickup truck.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #671
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
It's amazing how much power sportsbikes have. Which reminds me, has anyone ever heard this story?
There was a thread here recently along the same lines. A H-D was going 130 mph off a freeway when the rider hit a barrier. The bike kept on going accelerating a bit as it went for a long ways before tipping over.

205 mph Honda? It must have been the 110, because the 90's top out at 186.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #672
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
The acceleration on this bike is not made "safe" by the electronics.

Have you ridden the bike?

It has a mode that all but neuters the thing. That is why some of the rider schools use them.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #673
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Have you ridden the bike?

It has a mode that all but neuters the thing. That is why some of the rider schools use them.

Not the MSF though, I'll bet!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #674
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
NO, Not the MSF. If the MSF used them I would move to a different state and become an instructor.

Track Schools.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #675
rbrsddn
3banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
NO, Not the MSF. If the MSF used them I would move to a different state and become an instructor.

Track Schools.

Me too! Imagine the carnage!!!