Simply AWESOME!
My thoughts exactly. Very nice build!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #573
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Fly Screen Wind Deflector

Heres our new Fly Screen Wind Deflector for the SC3 Adventure. Its made from 5052-H32 Aluminum and Polycarbonate. Its weighs about a pound and is designed to protect the gauges from branch or flying debris damage and deflect wind from the body. The seam gap shown at the bends will be welded and ground smooth.

Its being fabricated now. Hope to have it on the bike in a few weeks.

09 R12GSA, 2013 SC3 Adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657449
http://www.carduccidualsport.com
JimmyTheHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #574
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
This is all far too impressive.
Can't you bodge something up with some silicone and race tape just to make us feel better about ourselves.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #575
dpetersak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
trail/ offset

Hey Jim,

I know you're at 18mm of offset, but I'm wondering if you've tried 22mm, or if the difference between 18 and 20 was significant. I need to get the triple clamps away from the rubber-mount frame as much as possible to maximize my turning radius and avoid any frame alterations. This will reduce my trail, but I'm hoping that with a 30 degree rake the effect will be minimal. More responsive, yes, but not unstable. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave
dpetersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #576
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpetersak View Post
Hey Jim,

I know you're at 18mm of offset, but I'm wondering if you've tried 22mm, or if the difference between 18 and 20 was significant. I need to get the triple clamps away from the rubber-mount frame as much as possible to maximize my turning radius and avoid any frame alterations. This will reduce my trail, but I'm hoping that with a 30 degree rake the effect will be minimal. More responsive, yes, but not unstable. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Dave
Hey Dave - Ive just had the 18mm offset triples on the bike, so I cant say for sure. I know when I was playing with the rear shock height & fork height (up or down in the triple clamps), it did have a pretty significant effect on the stability of the bike, but only at around 60-70'ish mph. The steeper the rake and the taller the bike, the less stable it was and would get some wobbles. At the lower speeds, not a problem.

My rough geometry layouts show the following trails at 30deg rake:
18mm = 5.57" trail
20mm = 5.50" trail
22mm = 5.43" trail

All still pretty generous trails, but we cant neglect the rake change too. As the offset increases, the rake decreases. Its subtle, but subtle changes in geometry at high speeds can be enough to shift the resonances.

So, you may just have to go there and see how it does. Kind of like an aircraft test pilot - get going at speed and see what happens.

For turning radius, I wanted to improve mine too, so my new triple clamps moved the bolt clamps to the front so I would get more clearance on the bottom clamp to the frame. It maybe bought me a 1/4" or more which doesn't seem like much, but in radians it should help a bunch. I also integrated a Scotts steering stabilizer. Even know the bike is stable at speed, bumps can upset it and get some wobble. So, if you find the 20-22mm is unstable, you can always try a stabilizer.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #577
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Can't you bodge something up with some silicone and race tape just to make us feel better about ourselves.
Ha ha! - you should see the old truck I drive I put all my efforts in my passion, and the rest of my stuff is held together with zip ties, wire and duct tape. I guess its just priorities.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #578
dpetersak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks, Jim. You're the man!
dpetersak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #579
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hello out there,
concerning this:
'
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe

Ha ha! - you should see the old truck I drive I put all my efforts in my passion, and the rest of my stuff is held together with zip ties, wire and duct tape. I guess its just priorities.

Applause to both of you, you made my day!!!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #580
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

The design process

The designs usually don't start off looking polished in CAD. Its a progression. The design process for me starts off with an abstract vision of what I want. Then I try different things until it looks and works right. For the fly screen, it took a cardboard mockup, then a paper scaled model to hold and see how it looked, and then the full finished 3D model on the bike assembly.

Heres a pic of the progression... Also, the aluminum tube behind the cardboard is the mockup for the crashbars.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #581
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 840
Hi,

In case you have forgotten about the rubber mount for fuel tank of 86-03- My friends and I was taking engine off my sportster yesterday so I could do some engine works to it soon. In the process, I found that you could remove the rubber mount so it is possible that you could just make a special bracket for the 86-03 while making your fuel tank universal to 04+??

Just thought I would offer my input.. here is a pic of rubber bracket removed (bolt) and I am holding the piece under the frame straight down from the hole it would go in:

WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #582
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hi,

In case you have forgotten about the rubber mount for fuel tank of 86-03- My friends and I was taking engine off my sportster yesterday so I could do some engine works to it soon. In the process, I found that you could remove the rubber mount so it is possible that you could just make a special bracket for the 86-03 while making your fuel tank universal to 04+??

Just thought I would offer my input.. here is a pic of rubber bracket removed (bolt) and I am holding the piece under the frame straight down from the hole it would go in:
Thanks for the input - very much appreciated. The new gas tank mounts like the Storz aluminum tank with a bolt attached to the backbone (either with a welded bracket or a hose clamped one like some Clarke tanks use) and also supported in the front from where the ignition coils hang - which looks like a similar hole, but towards the front.

If I could ask - could you take another picture of the front of the backbone near the steering stem to see if that same basic mounting hole is there? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #583
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHog View Post
If I could ask - could you take another picture of the front of the backbone near the steering stem to see if that same basic mounting hole is there? Thanks in advance!
Sure, I think this is what you wanted? I hope this angle is good for you?

The first hole on left is what you use to hold the fuel tank bolt and 3rd hole from left to right is for ignite module bracket bolts.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #584
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

One quick question about volt regulator.. is your still in the original location? I have thought about possible of relocating it but am concerned about getting enough air flow to go through it to keep it cool, and the way the wire harness is designed, it looks like maybe relocating is not possible? Any thought?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #585
JimmyTheHog OP
Low Speed Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
One quick question about volt regulator.. is your still in the original location? I have thought about possible of relocating it but am concerned about getting enough air flow to go through it to keep it cool, and the way the wire harness is designed, it looks like maybe relocating is not possible? Any thought?
Thanks for the pictures. Looks promising.

Yes, I kept the volt regulator in the same place for now. Same concern - you want to keep it well cooled. Not sure how well it will do over time there though if it gets hit by rocks or debris from coming off the front tire. Also, if you do any mud riding and it gets coated - it could be a problem. Its up fairly high, so hopefully its ok there - we shall see. If it becomes a problem, then I'd consider moving it. I did remove my horn though, which was mounted right above it. This opened up more air flow to the motor.