Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #151
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Nice looking bike Andrew- can't wait to do some trials with you this year. We gotta make a trip to TTC for sure!
I just signed up for the Alcan 5000 and pretty sure I'm not gonna do it on the wr450- maybe I can do it on the Gasser instead
Old 01-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #152
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,197
Thanks Dave. You should do the Alcan 5000 on the yz144. Just bring a few spare pistons\rings with & you'd be set. Though the gearing would kind of suck.

Let me know what approximate dates look good for TTC for you. I'm working on getting John to go with as well, but he seems iffy about it. I see it as some really cheap "get better at riding" time. I also like that I can tell people I've been going back to school.

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #153
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Thanks Dave. You should do the Alcan 5000 on the yz144. Just bring a few spare pistons\rings with & you'd be set. Though the gearing would kind of suck.

Let me know what approximate dates look good for TTC for you. I'm working on getting John to go with as well, but he seems iffy about it. I see it as some really cheap "get better at riding" time. I also like that I can tell people I've been going back to school.

Andrew

I'm thinking spring would be great- I still have mine in pieces after looping it out- the main body airbox part was cracked and I still need to epoxy it. I better do it today as I wanna ride fri and sat. You doing any riding this weekend?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #154
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post

I'm thinking spring would be great- I still have mine in pieces after looping it out- the main body airbox part was cracked and I still need to epoxy it. I better do it today as I wanna ride fri and sat. You doing any riding this weekend?
You really did a number on that guy huh? Knowing what a new fender for mine costs, I can't imagine what the airbox would cost. JB Weld time.

I'll have my bike at our shop this Saturday while I'm doing some work for my brother. I can put in some riding while I keep machines running throughout the day.

Spring should work out for going down to the TTC. End of March? TN should be warm by then (I'd hope)

Andrew
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #155
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
You really did a number on that guy huh? Knowing what a new fender for mine costs, I can't imagine what the airbox would cost. JB Weld time.

I'll have my bike at our shop this Saturday while I'm doing some work for my brother. I can put in some riding while I keep machines running throughout the day.

Spring should work out for going down to the TTC. End of March? TN should be warm by then (I'd hope)

Andrew
perfect timing for me!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #156
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

February 1st update:
I haven't been totally slacking. Shortly after my last post, I managed to seize the piston on the trials bike.

So that bike got pulled completely apart. Cylinder went out to get bored & plated. Redid a bunch of the issues on the bike (rebuilt forks), cleaned everything on it, repacked bearings, replaced almost all the hardware on it, got some fresh grips, tossed on fresh tires, and even got it a new kill switch. Finalizing that is on hold until the new cylinder & piston arrive.

As far as the race bike goes......

The bike is in slightly more "minimal" trim. I left it that way as I didn't want to have hand guards n such on it if I went to the local indoor MX track. Which is what I did this past Monday. I'm using it as my "keep in riding shape" exercise. It's also a hell of a lot more interesting than my normal workout routine.

I hesitate posting that up, cause watching it (and the rest of the footage I got from that night) just looks painfully slow. Seriously, all I see what I watch that is "your corner speed is pathetic". I'll just go with the GoPro really makes things look slow, and makes the jumps look small (ok, the jumps are relatively small considering it's an indoor place).

I plan on going back next Monday. I need to really work on trusting my bike on more slick conditions. The "dirt" there is like concrete. You see black rubber marks all over the place. I also would just like to be more consistent in my riding. There is one "triple" there that I come up a tad short on, and while it's easy to blame it on my softer woods valving, it's more so that I am not holding enough speed through the turn prior to it.

I also did some tuning on the auto clutch I have in the bike. It's originally meant for a YZ125, but has the same OD - ID & tangs on the OD. I was having some slight slip issues with it, but found I had too much tension on the clutch. It's also a hodge podge of clutch thicknesses in the thing, so I'll toy with it & get a better feel for it.

I picked up a WR trans for the YZ, as the bike will be playing double duty as trail bike for up in the UP. Unfortunately that is tempting me to do a 290 kit, or even bore & stroke the thing. It'd be like a Husky TE310 or KTM 350 for a fraction of the price, but not really feeling a huge urge to drop 800$ on more power for the bike. That money would probably be spent better on exercising equipment (rower).

Andrew
Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #157
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Didn't get to the indoor track yesterday. I was stuck doing my normal workout of jumping rope, burpees, and other annoying exercises. On the upside though, my weight is down more than before, and I can feel my fitness improving. This will for sure help out this season.

I did find this sitting on my doorstep when I got home which was pretty cool:

What can I say....Mighty XR!!!!

I spent some time with the YZ last night after a tasty Bacon, eggs, and yogurt dinner. I scored some Unabiker radiator guards off ebay, so those got tossed on. I essentially have no fears of hurting my radiators this season. Pretty cheap insurance.

Andrew

PS - I also updated my site a tad bit. Simplified, and got rid of the main video in the background. Still needs some buffing, but for doing it in spare time, it works.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #158
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Things are looking up! It's March. My GasGas is up, running and feels like a great machine. My YZ now has a WR transmission, 290 Big Bore, and may or may not have a Rekluse Z-Start Pro going into it. I hadn't really planned on that, but I found an almost new one for the price of an EXP unit, and the DynaRing unit I have will NOT grab with the added power of the 290 kit. Kinda wild that a couple HP difference, and it just slips. Go figure.

On top of that, I've added a "toy" to my working out.

I love feeling really worked after a good row on this thing. It's like doing pushups, crunches, and leg presses all in one. Come race time there's a good chance I'll be down around 170#. Not bad considering last year I was closer to 185-190. I feel good knowing that its the "excess" I've been whittling down. Rebuilding muscle at the same time is just a plus.

Only downside so far as of late, is that I have not gone to the indoor MX track as much as I had planned. Heck, I haven't made it there since I last went. Basically life got in the way, and then I got antsy, and tossed the WR gears & big bore on the YZ, which took much longer than planned as I busted the cases while doing the swap.

Hopefully get there one more time this month. Supposed to go to a race middle\end of March, but based on how the weather has been, I forsee a total slop fest. Not exactly in the mood for that. Then it's down to Trials Training Center first weekend of April with the GasGas to do some skills improvement work. Then end of April is a trip to the UP for some trail riding with friends.

The season hasn't begun.....but already has.

Time to go row & get some dinner with my wife.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #159
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Fired my mechanic

This is about how I feel right now:

My 250F has been a royal pain in my ass. Well, more so, my right foot. I made the epic mistake this past winter of messing with the engine. I've been paying for it since, and the currency has been Head Gaskets. I had worries about not being able to actually get to race this year. I made some quick decisions, and long story short, I've no longer got a Trials bike, but a Yamaha WR450. I've also fired my mechanic (myself). I'm only allowed to change oil, filters, and grips. Beyond that, if that shmuck touches anything else, he's gonna get slapped around

Not a move I've exactly wanted to make, but it's making more and more sense as time goes on here. I realize it's not the easiest to use 45hp in the woods, but I'm finding it incredibly easier than I remember. I find that I don't really want a Rekluse on the thing. It's nice, but it'll lug so much better than the YZ, that I'm just not stalling it like the 250F. We'll see how things pan out.

Here's some riding from 2 weekends ago:

I've got 2 weekends on the WR450F, and will be racing it this weekend. My biggest concern with it is related to starting it. It's no 2-stroke, that's for sure. I did about 30 dead engine starts Saturday while riding. If the engine is good n warm, it seems like it'll fire just fine with the kick start. Suppose I'll do that with the finger on the e-start button at the same time.

In the meantime, I'll be on the rower tonight. This 450 works your body a heck of a lot more than the 250F. The riding from Saturday was pure awesomeness. I'll be putting up video of it. We had a track groomed in a farm field for us. Flat track & kinda like supermoto. Tacky dirt that you could in places just about put the handlebar into the ground while railing a corner. Awesome stuff.

Andrew
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #160
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

1st race of the season down, and I can't complain one bit. I managed to pull a handy 1st in my class (Open B). Looking at the numbers, I Overalled in the B class (little\big\30+), so I'm happy about that. My finish woulda put me in about 6th place in the A Class, and well....let's not even go into where I'd be in the AA class. On the upside, it puts me around 20th out of 72 for the afternoon race. Not too bad considering the 10 deep AA class.

I rode pretty well, and managed a decent start. Into the 2nd turn, I was in 3rd place. I slipped into 4th in the middle of the first lap, and then took advantage of the MX portion of the course, and kept the 450 pinned as best I could. After that section, I pulled back into 3rd, and shortly after the 1st & 2nd place guys made some poor line choices over a log (much faster going around it ), and I managed to squeak up to 1st. I held 1st through the rest of the race, and did my best to try to not let anyone pass me (AA guys lapped me )

The course was overall pretty easy. There was nothing super technical, as they had a good bit of rain, and races really suck when there are traffic jams on slick hills and such. This helped a bit, as I was racing my WR450F, as my 250F was still on the fritz. On the 2nd lap, I managed to dump the bike in the creek section. I wouldn't have minded, but my gloves were then soaked, and my left grip was spinning like mad. Not fun when I still had 10 laps to go.

About an hour in (and coincidentally when my GoPro stopped recording) I caught a tree with my handguard on the left side. This bucked me pretty good (I'm blaming my handguards as they were some homebrew ones I made out of plastic), and I managed to huck-a-buck myself into the dirt pretty good. This took the wind out of me a bit, but I kept on trucking.

Approaching the 90 minute mark (105 minute race), and my body was really feeling things. The 450 power, the multiple crashes, the blisters growing ever larger on my hands....it was all adding up. The braking bumps in some of the turns were wreaking havoc on my lower back. You could just feel things being jarred. I was chuckling to myself thinking about how I used to blame my suspension for getting harsh late in a race. I laughed as I realized that I'm just not in 100% perfect shape. I continued on with this thought in my head.

As I rolled through Timing\Scoring just before my last lap, I realized I made the cutoff for the "extra lap" by just a couple of minutes. I really didn't want to do this lap at all. I was concerned I'd drop the bike in the creek section again, so I really tip toed it through there (which ironically makes it more difficult). I more or less did my best to just enjoy the last lap. You could hear that there were less riders out there, so there was a sense of calm and I was able to collect my thoughts and push through the burning sensation in my hands.

I slightly fumbled my way over the 2 large Timing\Scoring "speed reducing" logs, and off the course. I putted my way back to the truck, and could feel my body was already wanting to lock up. I did my best to load up the truck, and off we went. Glad I wasn't the one driving home.

I learned a few things about my riding. I watched as the AA guys passed me. The speed that they carry, is just far better than me. I could see that they were experiencing less obstacles, due to the fact that they were essentially skipping over them. I've realized that I really need to smooth out my riding. This would probably get easier with doing a better job of looking ahead at the course, but as fatigue sets in, that grows increasingly difficult. I was on my 450, and I really wish that I had been on my 250F. Not so much the power situation, but the fact that its at least 30# lighter, and heck, I'll admit it, the Rekluse wouldn't have hurt me either. I'm perfectly OK not using an autoclutch, but there are times where I think it would help me with keeping a gear higher, and lugging the bike a bit more. Why I wasn't doing that more on the 450, I've no idea. The thing can drop down to 0 RPM and still be running, and will pull it just fine. Keeping the bike in 3rd gear (instead of clicking between 2nd\3rd), I woulda been in much better shape.

Overall though, I had a blast, and am itching to get back riding (though the hands are still healing). I'm going to invest in some of those locking grips in the meantime, and some more proper\sturdy handguards.

Here's some pics some folks took at the race. I'll be uploading whatever video I have from the race when I get home this evening.

Heading into the creek section:

More Creek:

Bowl turn before a tabletop (that I always manage to over-jump):

This is a short climb, followed by a quick right hand uphill climb. My goodness that 450 excelled here. 2nd WFO and roost up the hill:

Start Finish speed logs. When just riding there, I normally jump these things. In the races, I find I do a trials style double tap. I figure that's the safest way to go over, with least risk of messing up (note that these logs have no ramp on the opposite side in pic):

And the coolest one of the bunch, mid-creek section, full attack mode:

Andrew
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #161
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Nice pic's. 1st place allways feels good. I have the ODI lock on grips on my 450, I love them, never had one move and they last for a while.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #162
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Vid! Youtube is still processing this, so it's not quite 1080p yet.

Andrew
Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #163
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,728
Woo first place B!

Nice job man, keep it up and by the end of the season you could be up with the fast A guys.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #164
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Regarding blisters, I haven't gotten any since I stopped using MX gloves and started using mechanics gloves.

$20 at home depot. Sometimes the stitching is off, so paw through the rack to get good ones. They feel a bit slippery when new. After the first 5 minutes are great.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #165
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Regarding blisters, I haven't gotten any since I stopped using MX gloves and started using mechanics gloves.

$20 at home depot. Sometimes the stitching is off, so paw through the rack to get good ones. They feel a bit slippery when new. After the first 5 minutes are great.
Thanks for the tip. I've eyed them up in the past, but was weary of them feeling like they had a seam on the inside of the thumb. I'll pick some up though as I'm in need of some gloves here. Any issues with them keeping your hands too warm?

Falling in the creek didn't help with things.

I've tried these as well:

I had to stop after the first lap of my race to stop and take them off. It threw off how I normally held onto the grips and caused the most intense arm pump. I think I still have them somewhere, so maybe I'll have to give them another try.

I find I have a couple things happen to me each year.

1. I get 1 bad hand blistering towards the beginning of the season. After that, my hands are good the rest of the season (aka, need to ride more during winter).
2. I over-heat myself while riding. Did this this past weekend at the MX track. Improper nutrition & pre-hydration and pushing too hard on the MX track added up to me feeling like absolute crap.

Andrew