Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #136
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
iDave is the perfect example of "It's not the destination, it's the journey." His journeys are more introspective and more meaningful than any others I have read. I would rather read one of Dave's RRs - and see how he views the world and interacts with people he meets, Julie and his kids than an epic RTW trip.

I meant it when I said I wanted to be like Dave when I grew up. He can take more from a casual interaction than I ever could. He is an inspiration.

well said.

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #137
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Good stuff iDave...

I remember one of the first RR's I read of yours was the trip you took with Abby. Awesome, Your little girl has grown up and it appears that you and iJulie did a fantasic job. Kudos to you both. The adventure just keeps unfolding!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #138
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,410
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #139
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 292
True to all iDave reports, open and raw feelings. Great job on the rescue, Dad !!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #140
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Love your writing style!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #141
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
iDave for dad of the century.

I'm sure the other 200 000 plus members here will vote with me.
Jorg.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #142
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
iDave is the perfect example of "It's not the destination, it's the journey." His journeys are more introspective and more meaningful than any others I have read. I would rather read one of Dave's RRs - and see how he views the world and interacts with people he meets, Julie and his kids than an epic RTW trip.

I meant it when I said I wanted to be like Dave when I grew up. He can take more from a casual interaction than I ever could. He is an inspiration.
Well said C-Stain.
I couldn't agree more. Been reading as many of the RRs as I can since I've found this place and here is my take on them. Many have wonderful pictures of fascinating places and things to see that I don't think I could ever see if I started right now to get them all in. The ones I like the best are the ones that talk about the journey and not the many sightseeing stops along the way. The journey for me is the interaction you have with those you meet along the way. Dave does a heck of a job recounting that for the rest of us if you ask me. I don't think you can write something like this without showing the world a little peek into your soul. Something about the character of a man comes to mind here. Heck of a story he is writing about his life. I'm pretty sure his kids are proud of him.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #143
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,275
Amazing. The universe has crossed somewhere. Seeing young missy in the car, as with the day ride in the past when she was much younger, she remains a twin of my Shandi. Same conduct, responses and mannerisms. Almost looks identical as well - facial structure, eyes, hair, smile.

Scary, but in a good way. I remember thinking back then, "What the hell is the Shandmeister doing on a motorcycle with that guy in Virginia?"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #144
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 160
Thumb

In my time as a lurker and inmate, I've read Colebatch's Siberian ride reports, Doug's Mongolian fluster-cluck, thedarthpeach's day trip, countless simple stories, and bovine excrement delivered by the long ton. Of all those, this story is more of an adventure than most of the Ride Reports and almost every Day Trip I've devoured. Bits of a novella, artfully written, complete with pictures and heart and humor.

Thank you for the journey, Dave, and three hours of time I couldn't imagine putting to better use!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #145
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,709
Thumb Awesome heart-warming story...

iDave the "Knight in Shining Armor" Slayed the dragon for sweet Abby. What a great story.
Thank you for sharing that.
Brien
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #146
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Other Ride Reports

Dave, enjoying your trip report and your writing style. Based on all the positive reviews I decided to check out some of your other ride reports, but it seems like all your words are missing/deleted from the Ride Reports you've made here. Do you have them someplace else? Maybe you're writing a book and had to delete them or is something sinister has happened?

Regardless, enjoying this story at least and inf for the ride.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #147
rascalman
GhostRider

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Dave, enjoying your trip report and your writing style. Based on all the positive reviews I decided to check out some of your other ride reports, but it seems like all your words are missing/deleted from the Ride Reports you've made here. Do you have them someplace else? Maybe you're writing a book and had to delete them or is something sinister has happened?

Regardless, enjoying this story at least and inf for the ride.
I always enjoy Daves slices of his life he shares, all his reports are captivating. I, for one, feel blessed he has the strength to open his mind and soul and share what is there. While they are his reports and he has loaned them to us for a while, thusly they are his to remove and I respect that for I'm sure he has good reason. Do I sense a book in the works?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #148
bluebear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Following along once again ...

Hi Dave,

Late to the party but wanted to thank you for sharing your journey, your heart, and your life with us. Like your other RRs, this one is just as captivating and I look forward to your continued adventures.

Stay safe,
Diane
bluebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #149
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalman View Post
While they are his reports and he has loaned them to us for a while, thusly they are his to remove and I respect that for I'm sure he has good reason. Do I sense a book in the works?
Thank you for this perspective! There have been times when I've gone back to read an iDave report and to my disappointment, find that the words have vanished from the page. When you look at it in that Dave has lent us those words, then it all makes sense. I'm glad that he's shared them for as long as he has.

I've PM'd, Cajoled, poked and prodded, but I don't think Dave is prepping for his book tour yet. Again...I'm disappointed, but at the same time happy, that I don't have to pay $29.99 for a copy of the wonderful words, feelings and adventures that he shares here with us for free.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #150
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 993
Great writing taken to the next level - and the chapters keep getting better!
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote