User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15706
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Roadie or XC

OK, I need some help deciding. I have ridden the Roadie, but not the XC. I do know the Roadie is lower and scrubs in curves. Is this an issue with the XC?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #15707
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
OK, I need some help deciding. I have ridden the Roadie, but not the XC. I do know the Roadie is lower and scrubs in curves. Is this an issue with the XC?
No.
But that is not the appropriate criteria for choosing which model suits your riding style. Neither one is a sportbike.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #15708
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
OK - so vote is 2 - 0 ABS off. That would be my inclination - but heard others suggest elsewhere that they preferred their ABS "on" - were able to slow down faster than off, And could still "dab" the brake to assist turns in dirt. My limited experience is ABS works fine for "run of the mill" dirt roads and mild declines. Have not tested on loose substrate / steep declines. Hence, my question.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #15709
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,870
Running local, flat gravel roads, I've tried it both ways as Rob said. Never had a problem with it unless really pushing it. If I was doing stuff like White Rim trail, i'd definitely have it off!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #15710
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
It don't usually matter if you're just plodding along, but at speed, definitely OFF
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #15711
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
OK - so vote is 2 - 0 ABS off. That would be my inclination - but heard others suggest elsewhere that they preferred their ABS "on" - were able to slow down faster than off, And could still "dab" the brake to assist turns in dirt. My limited experience is ABS works fine for "run of the mill" dirt roads and mild declines. Have not tested on loose substrate / steep declines. Hence, my question.
Riding conditions, your personal riding style & preference, and the way that the ABS works on your bike (the term ABS refers to many different systems, first of which were developed decades ago, so they cannot all possibly be “the same”). Those combined will give you the one and only ´right answer´ to your question. IF there is one, that is.

Note, that some people don´t like ABS period, and so they´ll just simply tell you to switch it off. It´ll make no difference, if they tried it on a BMW K100 from 1986, or on an S1000RR with race-ABS of today, or even never tried it – they don´t like it. I´m not saying you should always keep it on either, but just to keep that in mind, and make your own decision.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #15712
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmetHead Cycle View Post
My take on it is this ; after having a Scrambler900efi and taking places it wasn't supposed to go, I thought all I needed was the roadie.......until I rode the XC. The XC is IMHO better at everything.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #15713
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
i test rode the street version but i own the xc your not missing a thing get the xc other wise you will be sorry lol the xc will do anything the roadie can and you have more options with the xc
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #15714
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,135
And if you buy the XC, you won't have to waste money on a tire plug kit.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #15715
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
My take on it is this ; after having a Scrambler900efi and taking places it wasn't supposed to go, I thought all I needed was the roadie.......until I rode the XC. The XC is IMHO better at everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
i test rode the street version but i own the xc your not missing a thing get the xc other wise you will be sorry lol the xc will do anything the roadie can and you have more options with the xc
Interesting. I've been lurking here because this spring I want to step up from my G650GS to a Tiger 800, and as my riding is 80% pavement I was planning on getting the roadie. Are you saying I wouldn't be giving anything up on my daily commute handling and weekend canyon twisties by getting the XC?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #15716
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Interesting. I've been lurking here because this spring I want to step up from my G650GS to a Tiger 800, and as my riding is 80% pavement I was planning on getting the roadie. Are you saying I wouldn't be giving anything up on my daily commute handling and weekend canyon twisties by getting the XC?
That's how I read it.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #15717
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Except things like additional $$$ and height. For me it wasn't the $$$ so much, but the height was definitely a factor. Plus I had no illusion that I'm going to be using this bike as a dirt bike. I found a great deal on a used roadie and I couldn't be happier. Plus, it would never be a deciding factor on which bike to buy, but it's nice to know I can plug a hole in 2 minutes if need be :P Either way, you're going to be pleased.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #15718
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,907
Quote:
Are you sure 20%? If it's even 10% you want the XC. If it's 100% road you want the T800 roadie.

What the road version has going for it are the cast alloy wheels (lighter) and tubeless tires. Suspension is firmer so hard cornering is better. The 19" front turns in faster, it's a quicker handling bike. And it's a grand less. How can you miss?

But...and it's a big 'but'...if you're going to do any off pavement the XC's suspension is miles ahead, and the 21" front is far superior. The offroading GS guys install 21 fronts, it's just that much better.

For me, 90% pavement, I didn't want to give up road performance for off pavement performance. So my major criteria was that I lose nothing on the road. The XC's road manners are stellar, you really don't give up anything. Yes, the front grip patch is smaller, and you have to give a little harder tug of counter to lean the bike over. It's a beautifully cornering machine though. And the suspension is really plush, I prefer it for even road going, it's really comfy. One of the things I hated about my Versys was the hard riding suspension - the XC is just a dream. And I have mentioned before, unless you're really aggressive, there's not much brake dive or see-sawing, corner yawing. They really set them up nice.

The downside are the tube type tires and spoked wheels. They do require keeping the spokes tuned, and if you have to repair a flat you have to remove the wheel and patch or replace the tube. To me, a center stand is a must-have for the XC, without a doubt.

Looking back on the purchase decision now after 5K miles, I know I got the right one, without any hesitation. It's a fantastic motorbike that puts a big smile on your face every time you get on it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #15719
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
You can ride fire roads all day long on the Roadie, ask me how I know. You can slam it into a corner just about as good as my Daytona. Only if you're going to get into serious off road conditions do I see a need for the XC.

I went with the Roadie because of the height. I'm a 30" inseam and was much more comfortable on it. And if you're ever going to haul a passenger sure footing is even better.
GearHd6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #15720
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I bought an XC kind of on a whim, as I had previously decided to get a roadie because I didn't believe I needed the off road version. Well long story short, I don't regret my whim one bit.

It handles highway and twisty bits just fine. I hardly ever ride my Speed Triple any more, even when I'm riding with my sportbike friends. It annoys them that a goofy looking "dirt bike" can keep up with them, and even more when I take "shortcuts" down unpaved or frost heaved roads.

If you're worried about height, the seat is adjustable, with a factory lower seat available. There are lowering links as well. I run mine with 20mm lowering links and the standard seat in the up position. I've got a 30" inseam, and have spent a lot of time riding with my 5'2" ex gf (before she was "ex", of course).
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote