Yes, multiple day tours would be nice 26 15.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
But at 5 times the cost of a car, renting a bike doesn't make much sense for more than a couple of days at a time.
Then again, it could be argued that a bike is more than 5 times as much fun as a car.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #32
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Cost is the key, especially for multi-day rentals. If it was $200 for the first day and $50 a day after or something, that could work.

PhilB
The rate we used to run was something like 150 for first day and 75 for each day after, dropping to 65 for each day after the 10th. Not cheap, but I think it was reasonable.
ricmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
The rate we used to run was something like 150 for first day and 75 for each day after, dropping to 65 for each day after the 10th. Not cheap, but I think it was reasonable.
I like the idea of the stepped pricing.

For those renting for a day, it is costly, but won't break the bank. Those people are probably more likely to damage the bike, so you get the insurance costs covered up front.

For longer duration tourists, the weekly costs are a bit closer to a car. Those people probably have a motorcycle at home, and are less likely to damage the bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Wink

Often wondered this myself. I've rented BMWs in Europe and they have a bunchof bikes to rent here in Hawaii - because of the Visitor Industry, but a few years back I was on the East Coast for a couple days while it was gorgeous out and needed to travel around some and could not find a motorcycle to rent anywhere. Cars of all manner, trucks, trailers, etc. sure - but no motorcycles. I suppose in the American market we are just too much of a niche-market for it to be profitable. ( more than once I got: "A motorcycle ? how 'bout a convertible ? " ) - I mean really ? A $ 30K Mustang ragtop for $ 150 a day, but no V-Stroms anywhere to be had, eh ?

Ended up just BUYING a used bike and staging it at a buddy's place so I can fly in and ride plenty when I want to. Anybody want to rent a Yamaha FJR 1300 in the Philly area ?

I'd love to have a small business that bought decent, (used ?) reasonable mid-market bikes and rented them out fairly inexpensively. No doubt some idiot would kill the bike and sue me for letting him ride the thing.

I wonder if the old boating rule would apply:

You know how you make a small fortune in that business ?
Start with a large one.

RedShark screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:56 PM
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Renting is the best way when overseas or even out of the country. Most European tour companies give the option of self guided touring. If your time is limited it surely cuts out a lot of red tape.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #36
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,531
Cool2 Bali

Some of my favorite time spent on a bike, was when we rented 125cc two stroke dual-sports during a trip to Bali. We had IIRC three brands of Japanese bikes, and most had the same power-plant.
The place we rented from charged $50 deposit for the week, and $20 a day or $100 for 7 days insured. The deposit was returned if the bike was returned unmolested.
Out of the six of us two were locals, so we didn't need the "maps" printed on copier paper that were provided. Following a local for a day was all it took to acclimate me to the local driving "customs".
One of us had a flat, and the bike was replaced within thirty minutes.

There were cheaper places, like $7.50 a day but the rumor was a "cousin" would spot one of the bikes out side a cafe, or club, and steal it, causing the tourist to have to pay.
It helps to have a local contact regardless of where you travel.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
In september 2011 I rentend a GS1200Adv from Benjamin (Ben) at houseofmotorrad.
8 perfect days in Colorado, Utah and Arizona.
Ben's perfect! Ease best service! Ease best bikes!
He's right now near Tiera del Fuego with one of "that yelow bikes" I rode

In september 2012 I rentend a GS800 from Peter at motorradvermietung.
14 great days in the Alps.

Maybe it can help you!

Abr.,
CP!

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #38
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Pálida View Post
In september 2011 I rentend a GS1200Adv from Benjamin (Ben) at houseofmotorrad.
8 perfect days in Colorado, Utah and Arizona.
Ben's perfect! Ease best service! Ease best bikes!
He's right now near Tiera del Fuego with one of "that yelow bikes" I rode

In september 2012 I rentend a GS800 from Peter at motorradvermietung.
14 great days in the Alps.
Just underscores the fact that moto rental prices are high wherever you go (at least in the Western world).

Rental price for an F800GS:

Motorradvermietung: €139 ($188) for 1 day, 300 km included

House Of Motorrad: $160 for 1 day, unlimited miles (I think)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
dirtygary
Ageless

Oddometer: 1
I rented from Eagle Rider Las Vegas last February and rode Death Valley and up into the Mts. Great trip and worth the money. I was disappointed that they didn't honor my request for an RT or ST and got stuck with a Gold Wing. A V-Strom with bags would have even been fine with me for that trip. My Son and I want to start in Vegas again and spend 16 days riding a loop to CA, up the coast to SF, out to Yosemite, up to Lake Tahoe, over to Yellowstone, up to Beartooth Hwy, on to Devil's tower etc and on home to Columbus OH. There is no way to afford rentals for that. So, the point to all this is that we can ship our bikes with a trucking company called 'Specialized' from Columbus to Vegas for $450 per bike. Way less than rental costs and we have our own V-Stroms for our whole trip. Not realistic for short visits like my Death Valley weekend, but realistic for a long trip.
dirtygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Yes, for sure!
I think they all focus on "more days".
More days cut the price very well.

Abr.,
CP!

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I agree about the price being a huge issue.

We are now planning a trip to the UK during the Isle of Man, and would love to rent bikes. One place rents them for 180 GBP per day! We can rent a Porsche for the same price, or an Abarth Fiat for half that price. We will probably end up renting a bike for one or two days just for the experience, but 3 weeks on a bike would cost us nearly $6,000 US.
! indeed.

When I worked in the UK during the early - mid '90s I bought a 10 year-old Honda CB250RS for £500. It was with me for over four years, during which I traveled all over the British Isles, and did a couple of jaunts around Central Europe.

For $US 6,000 you could pick up quite a decent second hand bigger bike, or a brand new quarter litre. At those prices renting make little sense.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I have rented a few times in Europe and Hawaii, never as a tour but always as an on my own type deal....

It's expensive for sure, much more so in Europe, but when I'm on the road and I have a weekend to spare, I'm almost always looking for a place to rent so I can ride.

I can understand to a point why it's expensive, in Hawaii I saw a couple of different tourists dump bikes before they even got off the rental lot, so I'm sure they spend a bit on repairs to keep the bikes on the road. Plus, no one wants to rent an old used bike, people want something shiny and new, same as rental cars you know? So you have maybe a year or two tops to make money with a bike before you sell it and have to buy a new one
Old 02-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #43
Steve Hunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
The $39 fee applies only to rentals of 3 days or longer -- most rentals are for a day or two. And as you may be aware, cleaning a motorcycle is a bit more involved than washing a car... Besides, the daily rate goes way down once you hit 3 days anyway.

Interestingly, of all the bikes Dubbelju rents (V-Stroms, Versyseseses, various BMWs and Triumphs, Harleys®™©, the odd Shadow), the most expensive one -- the Multistrada 1200 -- is also among the most popular.

I think the high cost of motorcycle rentals can be attributed to several factors: (1) lack of fleet pricing for motorcycles; (2) high percentage of rentals that come back with crash or tip-over damage (cars don't tip over much); (3) insurance costs; and -- in the case of Dubbelju at least -- (4) the cost of doing business in an expensive city like San Francisco without a major corporation to back you up.

But having compared Dubbelju's costs with certain others (e.g. Jupiter in NYC, Big Boyz Toyz in Perth -- with whom I rented an ST1100 ten years ago, and who now want $255/day for an F800GS!) they're really not that far out of line. I could go into the various discounts they offer, but that might be construed as advertising.
Thank you , finally a voice of reason speaks. Comparing a car rental to a motorcycle rental is silly, it's two completely different businesses.

Why would anybody rent a bike for transportation? Craigs list is constantly full of $2000 or less bikes for transportation.

I am a Executive Elite at National Car and there are no interesting car rentals for $50/day. I looked at a Corvette at Avis one time and i believe it was $250/day, max 100miles then like .50 cents/mile. I have flown and rented bikes numerous times in order to expierence a area that was impossible to get my equipment to at a reasonable cost and time. I have rented a GoldWing in Colorada, Vstrom in Oregon, Yamaha Tenere, BMW1200 and Tiger 800 in TN and even a KTM 990 SMR for a day at Mid Ohio trackday. I dont think I ever paid more than $15-25/day for insurance. $125-165/day for the bike. Every rental was well worth the money. Think about this, do you really want to target the group that wants everything for cheap or cheaper or do you want to create a value offering to the group that wants a memorable experience and is willing to pay for it. You should never try to be everything to everyone. i've used Northwest motorcycle adventures and GSM motorents and both rent one type bike to a certain type customer.
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #44
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Amen! Of course owning and riding your own bike is often preferable and makes financially more sense for most. But, there are times that renting is more convenient and sensible for a multitude of reasons.

YukonTracker screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 09:52 AM
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #45
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
I worked for a Harley Rentals in Florida for over 4 years in the past and always wondered why there are no more rentals available.

Is motorcycle rental / tour something you would consider doing during a vacation?

Would you prefer a daily ride where you get the bike and some maps and are free, or a guided tour with a local showing you the best places to ride?

If yes, what kind of bike you would like to rent, Dual-Sport, Cruiser, Dirty, Sport, Sport Touring...
OK, here's my sum up from this thread and your replies.

1. I do not agree that the renter should pay for damage to the bike. It's on the rentee's head to do so and this should keep your costs down. I cite my own experience renting the RT from the guy in Sarasota. While parked, some bozo knocked it down while it was in my possession. The renter charged me about $800 for damages. I think that fair and reasonable given that it was on my watch that the bike came to grief (even if I wasn't there when it happened).

1b. IMO, the renter is responsible for incidental damages such as fairing gets nicked by a road rock. That's out of the rentee's control.

2. Dump the cleaning fee. That's the renter's responsibility and makes you look small charging it.

3. Scotch new bikes. I'm not renting to try out a new K16LT or Duc Multistrada. I see a dealer for that. I want to ride in the new area and would be thrilled to do so on a used Versys or a Zook Bandit 1200 or dozens of other bikes you can both source for $5 AND maintain easily. In short, I'd eagerly rent a Versys or a Ninja 250 or a Honda 250L for $50 / day but bridle at that Multistrada at the $200 / day you'd need to charge to cover the obvious extra costs.