ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
something wrong with CNNA 2013 or is it me

I just got a new Garmin Montana and downloaded ( that's another story, I should have ordered the DVD) City Nav North America 2013.

So now the only way I can use CNNA 2013 on my computer and Basecamp , Mac , is to have the Montana connected to the computer.

When I zoom in more than .7 mile which I need to do in planing a route I get this

The black arrows show roads that are not there just straight line from point to point, The red arrows are the real roads.

I do not have any routes or tracks loaded into the Montana .

Is there something wrong with CNNA or is it that I don't have something turned on or off ?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
The only part I can shed light on is that when you download CN, you have to select the option of loading it to both your computer and your gps unit, or it only goes to the gps unit. This is why you are forced to have the gps connected - because that is where the maps are, so BaseCamp can't see/use them unless it is connected.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

I don't remember a choice on where to down load to.

More playing around with this and if you go to the "MAPS" in the menu bar on Basecamp and click Global Map that is what I see in Basecamp with the CNNA 2013 so I'm getting double roads at .7 miles and closer zooms.

So I guess my question is how do I turn off Global Maps
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Did you make sure all of your software (GPS, BaseCamp, etc.) was up to date? You shouldn't be seeing double roads even with all maps enabled; CN takes precedence when it is enabled.

Emoto screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 10:32 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

YEP everything up to date.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,859
Does it show up everywhere, or just at this one point.

My first guess would be a mapping data glitch. There is a selection on Garmin's site to report them.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,315
I have an issue with CNNA 2013 as well but I don't have the same issues you are seeing.

Instead I have had a "glitch" that involved Base Camp loaded with CNNA and Mapsource loaded with it as well.

When I draw my maps I always switch to the old Roads and Recreation maps at the end of building the route/track to insure that I haven't missed points of interest that I want to waypoint (RnR is much more detailed with POI's).

When I first loaded RnR on my new computer I had loaded it to Mapsource. At this point everything was working fine, however as soon as I loaded Base Camp to the computer I noticed that RnR was missing from Map Source but still resided on my computer in program files. At this point I called Garmin regarding this problem. They said that since RnR was a legacy product Base Camp may not run it. Though they could not give anyspecific reason why this would happen.

Since I intended to partition this pc anyway I did. I placed my copy of Rnr into Mapsource on the new partition. Now I have both Map Source with the loaded copy of RnR and Base Camp which now recognizes RnR but wouldn't without the partition. Weird.

Before I partitioned the hard drive I tried loading RnR into Mapsource many times and each time I opened Base Camp for the first time after the install it was missing.

Additionally RnR was shown in Mapsource each time UNTIL I opened Base Camp then it would go missing again.

Maybe it's my paranoia self but I think Garmin somehow is forcing this to keep us from using legacy products longer than they wish. Yeah I know, paranoid.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
I have a few problems in the past year with viewing maps in both Mapsource and BaseCamp, but not with Roads and Rec. I found a useful tool to troubleshoot these problems was the Windows Regedit program. You use the Run command to activate the program.

You can then browse to the Garmin area and see what maps are loaded and where the programs look for them. In one case I found I needed to move the maps from the D drive to the C drive partition on my notebook. Apparently a new version of BC did not want to look in the D drive.

As to not supporting R&R, I think the response you got from Garmin was pure unadulterated laziness on the part of the support guy. I have found that whenever you talk to these people the first thing they want to throw back to you is that you are using an old product and you must upgrade.

As to the OPs original question. I have never seen the double roads problem in any Garmin mapping problem. I use CN 2013 a lot.

I do have kind of a related problem in Mapsource when I zoom in, Mapsource will print small numbers in black all along a road. Typically the number is 71. I don't know why this happens.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Maybe it's my paranoia self but I think Garmin somehow is forcing this to keep us from using legacy products longer than they wish. Yeah I know, paranoid.
JaVaWa Map Converter can probably help with that.

http://www.javawa.nl/mapconverter_en.html
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,315
Thanks for reminding me about this program.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Spinalcracker OP
former redriderofma

The problem is everywhere I zoom in to past .7mile view. ( the little scale lower left)

What it looks like it that the "Global Map" is viewable along with CNNA at the higher zoom ins. I don't know how to turn off the "Global Map" in the map selection. It's only with the CNNA 2013. If I change maps to CNNA 2010 it's fine.

Garmin is sending me the DVD for CNNA 2013 so when I get that I'm going to delete all the downloaded CNNA 2013 from the Montana and computer and start over.

I got the Montana as gift and none of the stores around me had the CNNA DVD but the dood at EMS said I could download it from Garmin. So I did that without realizing that when you download it you can't see CNNA on your computer unless the Montana is connected.

So I called Garmin and they said they would remove my download purchase and send me the DVD. Great customer service !
Vermont Covered Bridges
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
So I called Garmin and they said they would remove my download purchase and send me the DVD. Great customer service !
Nice of Garmin to fix EMS' mistake. I'm not surprised, though. This is not the first time Garmin's gone the extra mile.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Glad you're getting it sorted out!

One thing, though. There is most definitely a way to have the maps end up on BOTH the unit and your PC when doing a download. I say that, because I did it for my 350LM. There's just a simple setting you have to change as you do it, and I apologize for not remembering where it is exactly.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Glad you're getting it sorted out!

One thing, though. There is most definitely a way to have the maps end up on BOTH the unit and your PC when doing a download. I say that, because I did it for my 350LM. There's just a simple setting you have to change as you do it, and I apologize for not remembering where it is exactly.
It's in the Advanced Options, or something similar. When you download the file, if you go to that menu you can choose to have the maps on the computer and on the gps.

And even if the map is already downloaded, you can go back to http://my.garmin.com to download the map again and choose to have it installed on the computer as well.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Did you get this sorted out? I am seeing the same thing where the Global map and the CN map shows on the screen.

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote