Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #1726
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Bloody hell! Good on you for going in early, you got grief but a lot less grief than you would have had if you had turned up when they told you to. Did you have the opportunity to speak to your boss and say,"Wtf"?
Since I retired, I temp for an agency. So that means the old and busted trucks, the runs they can't get their own guys to do, or they're short.

Or in this case: All three.

My boss at the agency knows my background, didn't argue me going up early. The ops guy from CCS that was running things, was iffy on the idea. "Had my guys fuel it up two days ago, ran fine" kind of stuff.He didn't mention, or perhaps didn't know, that the truck had to be boosted in -10 temps.

So, things went as I pretty much expected. You've done time up north, under these circumstances, you know what's gonna happen.

During all this, both were in the loop. And when I pulled 12 deliveries and 1000 kms on the Friday, the ops guy knew I'd saved him a whole bunch of hassle with the customer.

I'm in the agency yesterday, and it's been a slow month. 2 shifts. Well, it doesn't rain when it can pour.

I'm booked the next two weeks to cover a broker. He's picky, and in the agency you have three classes of driver: new guys out of the school, bottom feeders that can't keep a job anywhere else, and oddballs, retirees mostly, like me. So there's a lot of thuds in the place.

CCS calls, wants me next week for a multi-day. Another customer calls an hour later, asks for me too.

Now let's be clear here: I am nobody's gift to this shit. Drive the truck, be nice to the customer, give them their shit, get a signature, repeat until truck empty, go back to the yard. This is pretty simple stuff. I deliver cardboard boxes. There's no one's life depending on this stuff. No stress.

I gotta wonder at who else they're sending out from the agency before or after me. They're making me look like a god. That's pretty scary.

So the agency is all set to send me off to CCS, but the broker booked me 3 months ago. He's a nice guy, okay truck, handle all the freight, but it's good exercise. So I caught wind of this, went in, told them no to CCS. They're... not used to hearing that. But they have no carrot and stick with me, I don't need the money to live, it's to pay for vacations. And they haven't exactly been busting their ass to keep me employed. So, no....

It's nice to be wanted, but be damned if I'm gonna put up with a lot of shit. Or see a guy get shafted because someone wants to kiss some corporate ass.

I don't have to.

I gotta admit, being able to do so feels pretty damn good.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #1727
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,842
Nice position to be in. My first truck driving job was agency work in England. It was a great way to get a wide variety of experience, every day was a different truck, different trailer, different product being delivered to different parts of the country. There was often no-one there to give advice or tell/show me what to do, and when I think back to some of the mistakes I made...

I got to drive some shiny new trucks and, as you mention, the ones that no-one else would touch, too. The bosses varied just about as much, also. I don't have time to type my favourite story right now...

I remember, though, that the common complaint from young kids like myself trying to get into the industry was (and probably still is) that everyone wanted experience before they hired you as a driver, yet if no-one would give you a job then how were you supposed to get the experience? Most agencies required a couple of years worth of experience before they'd sign you up but there was one in Worthing on the south coast that I heard about and they started giving me work. They were sheisters really, but on one job I met a great bloke who ran his own small agency and he signed me up, kept me busy pretty much full time as I remember, and paid me more too. Nick and I are still in touch today, he still runs the agency and once every five years or so when I'm over in the U.K. I'll ring him and we'll go for lunch.

Cheers.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #1728
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Nice position to be in. My first truck driving job was agency work in England. It was a great way to get a wide variety of experience, every day was a different truck, different trailer, different product being delivered to different parts of the country. There was often no-one there to give advice or tell/show me what to do, and when I think back to some of the mistakes I made...

I got to drive some shiny new trucks and, as you mention, the ones that no-one else would touch, too. The bosses varied just about as much, also. I don't have time to type my favourite story right now...

Cheers.
If I needed the money, I could just take a real job, got enough offers from my old life. Amazes me at the kind of money they were offering just to start. To my way of thinking, obscene amounts of money.

Only problem is: They'd expect me to like...show up every day.

I took 18 weeks off last year, plus some other odd days. I get to watch my boy grow up. Go riding, visit friends. Do family stuff. Maybe I'll reach the point that I'll jump in for a couple of years, knock off the mortgage, and call it done. I dunno.

I call what I'm doing brain-dead-monkey work. As in: you could get a ... to do this. Zero job satisfaction. For most of my working life I had a job that made a difference, now... I deliver cardboard boxes. But that's the choice I made. And I don't regret the time the boy and I get to beat on each other. Or go riding together. Or the time with my wife. Spent a lot of time away before, nice to be able take care of her for a change.

It was nice to dredge up some hard earned skills last week, and put them to use.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1729
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Good on ya' Drif, I'm happy for you and the way it all worked out. If you ever get to this part of the country, let me know. I'd enjoy trading trucking and Ellesmere Island stories with you over a pint. Or a pint and a half....

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #1730
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Quote:
Good on ya' Drif, I'm happy for you and the way it all worked out. If you ever get to this part of the country, let me know. I'd enjoy trading trucking and Ellesmere Island stories with you over a pint. Or a pint and a half....
Deal. Same if you make it east.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #1731
ChazCable
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ice road open yet Unique?
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #1732
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Yes it is we just rolled into town yesterday and oh we hear that the road is up to about 8090% capacity already I guess there's a lot of ice this year.
I'm hoping to get out on the ice this afternoon maybe around supper time Yellowknife time
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1733
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
Yes it is we just rolled into town yesterday and oh we hear that the road is up to about 8090% capacity already I guess there's a lot of ice this year.
I'm hoping to get out on the ice this afternoon maybe around supper time Yellowknife time

Any pics you can sneak through will be appreciated.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #1734
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 11,068
Have a safe trip, Unique. We'll be looking for pics

Squonker thanks again for starting this thread, lo these years ago, it has been a lot of fun to watch.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #1735
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Ya know, when I couldn't find the right truck for the right money and realized that I wasn't going to be able to drive for myself this season I was offered a few driving gigs up there for other people. I turned them down, but now regret that decision. I'm so jealous of you, Unique! Thanks for keeping the thread going in my absence - I like to think that next year I'll be back whether I'm in my own truck or not, but for now I'm living vicariously through you!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1736
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Boy oh boy , one trip and the stories I have already. I love it out here, I like hauling the fuel , easy on easy off, it's a bit of a learning curve for me as I've never done it before but good.
It's damn cold up here -40 and nothing really wants to work at these temps.
Gotta go to bed trip 2 early morning.
Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #1737
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
Boy oh boy , one trip and the stories I have already. I love it out here, I like hauling the fuel , easy on easy off, it's a bit of a learning curve for me as I've never done it before but good.
It's damn cold up here -40 and nothing really wants to work at these temps.
Gotta go to bed trip 2 early morning.
Excellent! Glad that you like it, I look forward to hearing your stories (and your impressions of Diavik!!)

Keep on truckin'!!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #1738
tmk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Squonker ....Sorry to hear that you are not on the Tibbitt to Contwoyto this season . Unique 458, Would you be driving for Ron Hamilton by chance ? Good luck , and enjoy your season up there . Thanks for keeping us posted and look forward to your future posts .
tmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #1739
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,784
Pics, we need pics.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #1740
ChazCable
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39