Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #2896
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
Another awesome bike that we don't get in the US.... Which doesn't surprise me considering how 'well' the FZ8 is doing here... US sport riders generally want the fully faired real deal. Those that don't buy Monsters, Speed Triples, Tuenos, or some other naked Euro bike. The bigger bore nude Japanese don't do nearly as well. The Z1000 pretty much proves that. I see ten ZX10R's for each Z1000 on the roads.

Shame because I would love a GSR750.

Sweet looking bike! In fact, that's the first Suzuki I've said that about it quite a few years. Now, if Suzuki could just package the SV650 v-twin, or better yet,a 750 version, in it instead of that Gladious thing, or whatever it's called now.....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #2897
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I absolutely get that, but on the one hand abs can't be added the way a suspension can be modified, and on the other, it doesn't cost nearly what they charge for it as an option. I can't wait for the euro standards to take effect, but even after that we will still see non abs bikes - where else do they sell them? It is absurd that bikes like the fz8, the versys, the cb1000r and the svf650 aren't available with abs in the US when they are available with abs virtually everywhere else in the world.

oh, and on topic, I still want an R1200R. (with abs, of course)
One of the reasons manufacturers have been reluctant to sell bikes with ABS in the U.S. is our litigiousness, and idiotic liability laws. The concern has been that if they mass-market bikes with ABS, sooner or later some idiot is going to crash, and sue the bike maker because the ABS didn't prevent the crash.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (227,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #2898
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
One of the reasons manufacturers have been reluctant to sell bikes with ABS in the U.S. is our litigiousness, and idiotic liability laws. The concern has been that if they mass-market bikes with ABS, sooner or later some idiot is going to crash, and sue the bike maker because the ABS didn't prevent the crash.

PhilB
The "idiots" are actually more likely to blame ABS for crashing, not
blame it for not helping them not to crash.

(And I'm sure 20 people who never had ABS on a bike will jump on this..)

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2899
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The "idiots" are actually more likely to blame ABS for crashing, not
blame it for not helping them not to crash.

(And I'm sure 20 people who never had ABS on a bike will jump on this..)
Either way, they will file a suit and the manufacturer will have to spend more money to defend themselves than the ABS makes in profits.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (227,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #2900
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
either way, they will file a suit and the manufacturer will have to spend more money to defend themselves than the abs makes in profits.

Philb
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #2901
cls
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Wicked

Wow, a lot of activity in a hurry. Nice!

-Yep, Kawi has an 800 available. Furthermore, they have the ability to make it, if they wish.
-The Z800 is waaaaay heavy.
-More low-mid power is my specialty. I'd like it from a bigger bore engine than a 650 (Though I love my Versys. My other bikes have it done very nicely but they're heavy. I don't like heavy. Heavy is my new enemy. Lighter is better.).
-I don't do ABS if I can help it. If I can't help it, I may concede for a particular bike but that hasn't happened, yet. Great idea and safer, I have no doubt. Just not my 'druthers, as of yet.
-The price of the bike is not a big deal to me. I go through way too many of them and I love these things. If I can find what I want that doesn't require me (Or make me want to) have so many bikes at once, I'd still come out way ahead.
-You have to be really careful when you start telling other people what they should/shouldn't do or think. It's a slippery slope...

All good fun, gentlemen. I love to play. Bring on the high end Versys 800, done right. By my definition, of course.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #2902
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,215
Laugh

Yep, that GSR 750 Suzuki is sweet! Just make it a V-twin instead! That is what the gladiass should have been.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #2903
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

PhilB
While that may be a small reason I don't think it registers in company boardrooms. After all there is a long history of ABS applications in cars and it presumably has a well fortified litigious protection history.

The main reason more bikes don't have ABS is frankly most riders in the US don't want it (or don't want to pay for it). It's an extremely price sensitive market, and just a glance at the used market for motorcycles with ABS versus without for bikes offered with both will tell you the story.

The cynical side of me would also add that in order to have the presence of mind to actually seek out a bike with ABS in the first place requires a sensibility among the motorcycle buying demographic that I believe just doesn't exist in this country obsessed with sport bikes and harleys.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #2904
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Okay, let's step over the dead horse and get back to bikes we want. Methinks discussion of ABS, liability, helmets, oil, and the like can be diverted to other forums/threads.

I dig the GSR-750.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #2905
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
While that may be a small reason I don't think it registers in company boardrooms. After all there is a long history of ABS applications in cars and it presumably has a well fortified litigious protection history.

The main reason more bikes don't have ABS is frankly most riders in the US don't want it (or don't want to pay for it). It's an extremely price sensitive market, and just a glance at the used market for motorcycles with ABS versus without for bikes offered with both will tell you the story.

The cynical side of me would also add that in order to have the presence of mind to actually seek out a bike with ABS in the first place requires a sensibility among the motorcycle buying demographic that I believe just doesn't exist in this country obsessed with sport bikes and harleys.
+1 too.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #2906
Cortez
BAZINGA!

700i

Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #2907
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
About ABS, in Europe its soon not possible to buy a motorbike without ABS, and i think thats just posetiv.

This is the bike that i want today,tomorrow and the day after, comes with ABS as standard
Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #2908
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
ABS is OK, as long as you can turn it OFF!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #2909
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,124
Moto Guzzi Stelvio

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #2910
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 178
No ABS. Or EFI. Or any of that other computer stuff.

Yeah I want this today.

Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote