Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #27256
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
1923 French Championships, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If I had to guess, it'd be 30s. No derailleurs on the bikes that I see.

M

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #27257
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,320
Funny and cool DIY repair kit instructions.

And sweet CX Worlds Vid
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #27258
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I was at the LBS the other day and a leftover C-dale Synapse Carbon Rival caught my eye. Anyone have any experience/opinions on this bike? I read some online reviews, and a few mentioned that standing up and hammering can get the chainstays flexing and bouncing, but only a few reviews mentioned this. Most of the reviews talked about it being lightweight and comfortable, both qualities I'm looking for...

Also, the bike is equpped with Mavic's Aksium Wheel-Tire-System. Anyone know anything about this? If I don't lke the tires can I just swap them out without issue?
My buddy has the exact bike and loves it. The black/light blue combo looks killer.

I wouldn't sweat what the magazines say. Apparently, all the staff can flex anything. If it's compliant, it's unbalanced and doesn't precisely handle. If it's stiff, then, it's harsh. Screw 'em. Jump on that thing and take it for a good long ride. Only you know what you feel and like.

As Gummee! mentioned, there's nothing proprietary about that wheel/tire setup. Wear 'em out.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #27259
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
One page back.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #27260
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Re: that c-dale. The Synapse is C-dale's answer to the Roubaix. Probably not the stiffest thing on the road, but it'll be an 'all-day ride' kind of bike. AFA the wheels, there's nothing proprietary about em. Wear out the tires that come with the bike and get something else if you don't like em.

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My buddy has the exact bike and loves it. The black/light blue combo looks killer.

I wouldn't sweat what the magazines say. Apparently, all the staff can flex anything. If it's compliant, it's unbalanced and doesn't precisely handle. If it's stiff, then, it's harsh. Screw 'em. Jump on that thing and take it for a good long ride. Only you know what you feel and like.

As Gummee! mentioned, there's nothing proprietary about that wheel/tire setup. Wear 'em out.
Ok, thanks for the comments. I figure it would slot in nicely between my caad 8 and the Vaya, although the caad 8 probably wouldn't see much use anymore if I get the Synapse. The shop offered to set the bike up on a trainer to try it out. Too much white crap on the ground for a real test ride now...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #27261
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Ok, thanks for the comments. I figure it would slot in nicely between my caad 8 and the Vaya, although the caad 8 probably wouldn't see much use anymore if I get the Synapse. The shop offered to set the bike up on a trainer to try it out. Too much white crap on the ground for a real test ride now...
That's about right. Gonna ride softer than the CAAD and stiffer than the Vaya. As much as the 'laterally stiff, vertically compliant' thing gets pooh-poohed by the 'experts' C-dale and SpecialHuffy have gotten it right with their 'endurance' bikes.

My Roubaix was as stiff side-side as a Tarmac but rode oh so nicely. If I could find a team version with the Tarmac sized head tube, I'd buy another.

M
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #27262
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Thumb Epic S-Works 29er

Got the opportunity to test ride the 2013 Specialized Epic S-Works 29er recently. OMG. Handling is razor sharp, and the 'Brain' equipped suspension system makes it feel every bit as rigid as a road bike until a big enough bump activates an inertial valve, allowing the suspension to compress. I must have spent close to an hour riding over various obstacles and making suspension adjustments to see how each one affected the bike. By the time I finally got back to the store I half expected that they'd already called the police to report a theft. At a non-negotiable price of $10,000, it definitely won't be following me home though.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #27263
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
the 'Brain' equipped suspension system makes it feel every bit as rigid as a road bike until a big enough bump activates an inertial valve, allowing the suspension to compress.
Which is exactly why my GF and I, both, have brain-equipped MTBs. My only regret is getting a Stumpy instead of the Epic. Oh well.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #27264
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Which is exactly why my GF and I, both, have brain-equipped MTBs. My only regret is getting a Stumpy instead of the Epic. Oh well.
Do these 'brain' equipped suspension systems require any extra maintenance? I wonder why other manufacturers haven't come up with something similar.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #27265
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Got the opportunity to test ride the 2013 Specialized Epic S-Works 29er recently. OMG. Handling is razor sharp, and the 'Brain' equipped suspension system makes it feel every bit as rigid as a road bike until a big enough bump activates an inertial valve, allowing the suspension to compress. I must have spent close to an hour riding over various obstacles and making suspension adjustments to see how each one affected the bike. By the time I finally got back to the store I half expected that they'd already called the police to report a theft. At a non-negotiable price of $10,000, it definitely won't be following me home though.
The SpecialHuffy dealer in Cheyenne got the trailer o' bikes from SpecialHuffy to come out.

OMG does that Epic S-Works pedal itself up the mountain* or what?! I didn't like the 29er as much as I did the 26er, but I think that had more to do with gearing than anything else.

...and yeah, the price tag threw me off too.

Today: 1:10 easy. Evidently there's a NorEaster coming and my sinuses are jacked. I went anyway, but I'd rather be in bed.

M
*Curt Gowdy State Park has some great riding. Recommended if you're in the area.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #27266
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The SpecialHuffy dealer in Cheyenne got the trailer o' bikes from SpecialHuffy to come out.

OMG does that Epic S-Works pedal itself up the mountain* or what?! I didn't like the 29er as much as I did the 26er, but I think that had more to do with gearing than anything else.
I've heard it's all about the rider, not the bike.

Quote:
...and yeah, the price tag threw me off too.
My first car cost me about $7800, brand new. I just can't see spending thousands more than that on a bicycle, no matter how nice it is.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #27267
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I've heard it's all about the rider, not the bike.
It is. That last tenth of a percent or so is the bike. The first 99.9% is the rider. You may be able to argue that up to maybe the last 5%, but a fast rider is still going to be a fast rider whether he's on a hoopty or an S-Works.

Quote:
My first car cost me about $7800, brand new. I just can't see spending thousands more than that on a bicycle, no matter how nice it is.
Gotcha beat. Mine cost me $20. ...but then I proceeded to throw $1200 of repairs at it.

M
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #27268
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I just did a 'make an offer' thing on ebay and won the seatmast topper, an extra, and the spacers I've been looking for for half price. The guy came back so quickly I'm thinking I should've offered less!

Oh well. New from the Giant dealer the parts are $125-ish. I got what I was looking for and more for $20.

Next step: sell off the extras.

M
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #27269
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:

and then what happens when you get it wrong and throw it down a rockly slope ? That's three times what my kdx cost new.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #27270
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,300
That S works is beautiful, but I'm with you guys - no way. $2k I dropped last winter on my Reign made me ... until I rode it.

Can someone tell me what the big deal is with Thompson seatposts? Why are they much better (and much more expensive) than the one my bike came with? Not looking to buy one, just curious.
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: