Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4981
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
Checked valve clearance last night with feeler gauges. 2006 model with 13K miles, I've had it for a little over a year and picked up with 11.5K miles. Don't know if valves have ever been checked or adjusted before. Results:

Lt Ex: between .076 & .102 mm
Rt Ex: 0.15 mm (tight fit)

Lt In: 0.15 mm (tight fit)
Rt In: 0.15 mm

Specs: Inlet 0.10 - 0.20 mm. Exhaust 0.15 - 0.25 mm.

Questions: Is it typical on these for the exhaust to be out of spec before intake? Is there anything I should be especially concerned with on the left exhaust being so far out of spec? Plan to pull the exhaust shims out tonight and replace appropriately.

Thanks.
If it were my bike ...
Concern? Nah. I'd just adjust and ride it. To me its not THAT far out. If it were dangerously out of spec the exhaust valve wouldn't be allowed to close all the way, letting the exhaust gasses ignite, and you'd be backfiring.

... I think...
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4982
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I've seen much worse...particularly on GenII bikes as scheduled maintenance was inappropriately extended out by Kawi. Stupid marketing department. Adjust to max end and go ride!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #4983
IDRIDR

Oddometer: 1,069
Thanks. That's what I expected but just wanted a backup.

Cheers

IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #4984
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,934
Those valve specs are pretty typical to what I have seen. I can't recall if it is the L or R exhaust valve, but I always have one that is tighter than the other.

As suggested above- shim it and ride.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #4985
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 559
Hey everyone...

Where can I find the CHEAPEST crashbars for my '02? I don't need anything fancy, if anything I just want something half-assed so I can mount my GoPro camera to it for cool shots. Is it possible to have them made?

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #4986
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Hey everyone...

Where can I find the CHEAPEST crashbars for my '02? I don't need anything fancy, if anything I just want something half-assed so I can mount my GoPro camera to it for cool shots. Is it possible to have them made?
Mounting any video equipment to a motorcycle just ensures you'll crash. Cheapest is to sell the GoPro and go ride!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #4987
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Mounting any video equipment to a motorcycle just ensures you'll crash. Cheapest is to sell the GoPro and go ride!
I refuse to believe that I will go 12,000 kms without any documentation. I want to be able to look back on this adventure I'm about to go on. Nice try, though.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #4988
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
IMS tank painting

Well, Since I got the IMS tank, I was immediately unsatisfied with the less than perfect welds, molding, imperfections, etc. I liked the idea of the extra fuel and the protection it provided for the the radiator but it was UGLY!
All the info was, "Nope, can't paint an IMS tank, paint won't stick, stickers won't even stick." Wasn't sure why so I did some research. Most plastic tanks "breathe" hydrocarbons that don't allow for painting and such. OK, how about sealing the tank. Lots of sealers out there but they all say won't work with Polyethylene, Hmm. What is the IMS tank made of anyway? Yep. Polyethylene. XLPE, to be exact, cross linked polyethylene. Caswell has a nice looking 2 part epoxy sealer, oops. Won't stick to Polyethylene.
I finally came across a sealer that the manufacturer wasn't sue if it would work or not but thought it would. I found some blogs that some guys had used it and it worked great but I didn't know if their tanks were XLPE.
Long story short (too late) I ordered some and after a lengthy prep process I sloshed it around and let it cure. Seems to have dried to a flexible, strong bond, time will tell.
IMS tank is not ugly anymore! I have a bit of wet sanding the clear and some polishing to do but that is going to wait a month or so to see if she holds up.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #4989
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
The picture looks great.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #4990
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 373
why the KLR

so.... how come the KLR is so popular and so many people rave about it?

It's a bit slow on the road and a bit slow off the road... is it cos it's cheap or what???
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #4991
astrolump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuser View Post

It's a bit slow on the road and a bit slow off the road... is it cos it's cheap or what???
i like the klr because...

1. cheap ive bought 2 and both cost $1500 and were perfectly ride-able. a great suspension upgrade only adds a grand to the price and transforms the bike.

2. lots of farkles.....

3. as reliable as a hammer. easy to fix on the trail. very durable, simple carb, no computer, cheap parts, available everywhere.

4. with the exception of the shitty stock seat...very comfortable. great ergos for tall people and easy to ride all day on or off road for me. i never want to get off the thing.

5. can haul all my camping gear with ease.

6 with a few mods adequate power for me. any more and i would be getting tickets all the time. big bore kits are available. and a stroker kit and EFI are in the works at eagle skunkworks.

7. i can pick it up pretty much no matter how it falls. its heavy but i can manage it. not so with a gs or v strom or s 10 when they are upside down.

8. the low price really frees me up to ride and sometimes leave the bike places i would not leave a bike i spent big $$ on. i know worst case i just buy another.

9. it thumps.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #4992
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:

Everything does something better than a KLR.

Nothing does everything better than a KLR.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #4993
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:

Yes it's cheap to buy, cheap to own, and cheap to rebuild if/when it needs it .. aftermarket parts are available anywhere in the world too, usually for not an insane amount of money ..

It does everything well and nothing exceptionally well .. it's the Volkswagon of the motorcycle world, convertible into a dune buggy, truck, jeep, daily commuter, or anything else you want it to be including a sporty-ish world-touring mile-chomping machine .. and it holds a bunch of gas to get you there and back again at 48-52 mpg ..

Most importantly, it's a fun bike to ride .. not to much power such as to make it a pain in the ass .. and not so little power that you can't climb through, around, over, under, or between most stuff .. It'll go anywhere and everywhere and if you're smart you're not in a hurry anyway ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #4994
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:

In the green corner, weighing 432 pounds...

Do you really not know or is that a little bit of this...

We'd be happy to tell you why we like our KLRs.

Get ready to rumble!

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #4995
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Laugh The prior 2 posts....

....sums it up pretty well. I have 2, one set up for my daily commute and one for the trails (but still very road worthy) it seems to go wherever I point it without missing a beat. I love my KLR's. I think I need a sticker that says that.