Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Good thread, thanks. I've got 2 1/2 bikes on the water at the moment... the KTM I rode from Sydney to Laos, a '47 Beeza that I still haven't clamped eyes on (bought it from a photo) and most of a '38 Norton... the frame of which I brought back as my checked luggage.

You raise some interesting issues. I brought the Norton frame home, because the Thais would never have let it out of the country... but all the other parts, no problem. The reason being, no title or rego or import permit for it. It had been (literally) carried out of Burma 16 years ago and if the frame had been there, that's it... pay whatever import duties they deem appropriate - which would be significant. The Beeza, on the other hand was easy - it came into Thailand on a temporary import permit the day before the container was packed.... straight in and cleared out of Thailand. Its registration is, believe it or not, American.... and the guy I bought it off isn't American. I dunno how he got it, but I intend to ask, next time I'm over there.

The KTM was the hardest of the lot. My shipping agent went on holidays and my temporary import permit expired. She was supposed to renew it before she went on leave. They wanted me to go back to Thailand to sort it out, then they wanted me to pay $22,000 import duty.... and so on. I wrote a nice letter to them explaining why I'd had to leave in a hurry, enclosed a scan of a big $ surgeon's bill for a family member, etc, etc... and I got a "oncer" approval for the bike to come out. I reckon they'd have played hard ball without the surgeon's bill.

The KTM left Oz on a carnet - about $1,100 total cost for that for a year. That expired in August, but I was into countries that don't require a carnet - eg Thailand and Laos... so I let it lapse. Instead of renewing it, I got a $50 Vehicle Import Approval for a returning vehicle. If I'd been smarter, and submitted all three applications together, I believe it'd have been $50 for all three, rather than each. The only VIA hassle I had was that they require a photo of the compliance plate. Mine got half wiped out by the tusk of the elephant that attacked us.... the sticker is now two pieces, with a groove up the middle. I got lucky though... all the numbers are on the edge and still visible. I sent them a photo of the elephant standing there with his foot on the fallen bike.

So far, so good.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

The KTM left Oz on a carnet - about $1,100 total cost for that for a year. That expired in August, but I was into countries that don't require a carnet - eg Thailand and Laos... so I let it lapse. Instead of renewing it, I got a $50 Vehicle Import Approval for a returning vehicle.
Sorry to take the thread off topic a little, but you raise an interesting point regarding the carnet Bigfella - specifically, how did you get your carnet deposit refunded without actually having the carnet fully stamped out of each country?

I have used carnets in the past, and the RACV was quite specific about seeing all the stamps before they would issue a release against the deposit amount (100% of the value of the bike).

I am guessing that you must have had the carnet stamped out of Malaysia when you rode across the border into Thailand and then not had the carnet stamped for entry into Thailand. When I crossed that border on my RD350 years ago (36 to be precise) carnets were most definitely required for Thailand.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Sorry to take the thread off topic a little, but you raise an interesting point regarding the carnet Bigfella - specifically, how did you get your carnet deposit refunded without actually having the carnet fully stamped out of each country?

I have used carnets in the past, and the RACV was quite specific about seeing all the stamps before they would issue a release against the deposit amount (100% of the value of the bike).

I am guessing that you must have had the carnet stamped out of Malaysia when you rode across the border into Thailand and then not had the carnet stamped for entry into Thailand. When I crossed that border on my RD350 years ago (36 to be precise) carnets were most definitely required for Thailand.
I haven't sent the carnet back yet (they have asked for it) I'll send it back when the bike clears here. They were happy to have it back along with a stamped document showing where the bike was (says he, without looking up the actual email)... but that was the gist of it. I'm hanging on to every bit of paper I've got until all the bikes are under my lock and key. The deposit is only $250 out of that $1100.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
brfoster
Baile Atha Cliath

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Did a bit more Googlerising and you are correct. While the Europeans got a raised cap, the US market got a flush cap.

1988~1990

The GS is introduced, replacing the G/S. The US got only the R100GS, but an R80GS was sold in other markets. The major differences between the R80GS and R100GS are:

the oil-cooler on the R 100 GS
a small 'tombstone' windshield on the R 100 GS
798cc vs. 980cc. The R100GS got 40mm carbs in non-US markets while the rest got 34mm carbs.
The differences from the previous generation are:

Paralever rear suspension (185mm travel) and 40mm Marzocchi fork (225mm travel), resulting in...
More weight and a longer wheelbase, allowing...
Larger battery tray to accomodate large or small battery (large was provided).
Rear subframe with small rack
Painted headlight/instrument nacelle
40mm Brembo dual-piston front brake
New centerstand design (pedals curved out)
17" rear rim, cross-spoked wheels allowing tubeless tires. Heavy, though.
6.4 gallon tank with two petcocks. US got a flush cap, EUR got a protruding cap with horizontal tube vent.
Stainless steel exhaust with a black cover plate
No kickstarter (but available as an add-on). I think all Swiss bikes have the kickstart.
Hi Dave,

I am a bit of a GS fan. Just wondering where you found that info on the web. Cheers
brfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Good thread, thanks. I've got 2 1/2 bikes on the water at the moment...
I sent them a photo of the elephant standing there with his foot on the fallen bike.
So far, so good.
Phaaark!!! Got a copy of that pic anywhere here? If so, I must have missed it.
Jayzus!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
I haven't sent the carnet back yet (they have asked for it) I'll send it back when the bike clears here. They were happy to have it back along with a stamped document showing where the bike was (says he, without looking up the actual email)... but that was the gist of it. I'm hanging on to every bit of paper I've got until all the bikes are under my lock and key. The deposit is only $250 out of that $1100.
Hmm, maybe we are talking about different things. By deposit, I mean the bank guarantee that you need to put up in order to obtain the carnet. This used to be between 100% and 300% of the value of the vehicle and would only be returned to you once the stamped carnet (with matching entry and exit stamps for each country) was returned to them. Sounds like the process may be different nowadays.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Phaaark!!! Got a copy of that pic anywhere here? If so, I must have missed it.
Jayzus!
Better not drift too much here.... but here's the beast.... he's twice as old as the one that nearly killed the keeper at Taronga recently. This little bastard is a 4yo adolescent bull, weighs 2 tons and was trying to kill me. He threw me - and the bike three metres... from over near that pile of feed.

Photo is buried in here somewhere in my ride report

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Cape+York

Looks benign enough eh? Don't believe it. An elephant expert there couldn't believe I got out alive.... it did cost me a busted camera though (I had two with me).

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Hmm, maybe we are talking about different things. By deposit, I mean the bank guarantee that you need to put up in order to obtain the carnet. This used to be between 100% and 300% of the value of the vehicle and would only be returned to you once the stamped carnet (with matching entry and exit stamps for each country) was returned to them. Sounds like the process may be different nowadays.
Nah... done as an insurance policy. They come chasing me if a country declares default on the carnet. I'm stamped out of all countries I entered though, so no hassle. They'll have it back within three weeks (I hope).

.... sorry Peter.... I'm waiting for the next instalment too....

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #39
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
Keen to know what problems, if any, when you try for registration.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #40
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Keen to know what problems, if any, when you try for registration.
All in good time, grasshopper...

Suffice to say, as of last Thursday, I am the legitimate owner of a very nice R100GS in the ACT.

Cheers
Peter
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #41
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wait, wait, and wait a little longer for the arrival in Aus

So I returned to Aus mid September and tried to find a job to pay the accumulated bills, confident that my little bike was wending its way back to Aus.

After about 4-5 weeks I hadn't had any updates from Robin so called him to check when it was going to arrive. To be told that it hadn't actually left yet, due to the paperwork problem with the other vehicles.

About this time I realised Robin wasn't the 'volunteering information' type of guy. I was going to have to ask to find out anything.

Kept waiting, until finally advised that the bike was due in Sydney Dec 18th. Great, but what were the chances of getting the bike processed through customs in the days before Christmas, not good.

Then a couple of days before it was due to arrive, when I rang to find out how to pay the fees, I was advised that it was actually arriving in Brisbane, 'cos the next ship going to Sydney would have taken too long'. Hmmm, not impressed.

So it arrived in Brisbane on the 18th. On the 21st I got told the cost would be almost double what I'd been quoted. Really not happy now.

Apparently, because I'd been a good boy and got the import approval done myself, the shipper agent decided to treat my bike as a totally separate customer to Robin's other vehicles in the container. So instead of sharing the cost of all the overheads, I got the lot.

At least Robin waived any charges for himself, so all the money went to the agent. In the end it cost me about $700 more than I expected for the import.

Moral of this part of the story. If you are going to come in with someone like Robin who is essentially bringing the vehicles in 'as his own', let him do the lot, including getting the import approval. And you shouldn't get slugged like I did.

Anyway, now I needed to get the bike back from Brisbane, and he's shutting down for 2 weeks. At least it gave me 2 weeks to work out my best option.

But that's the next installment. Not really relevant to the actual importation, but another challenge nonetheless.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #42
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Step 5 - Brisbane to Canberra, the easy bit, haha...

Yeh, the last bit was step 4.

After considering flying up to Brisbane and riding back, driving up and trailering back, and getting it shipped down, it was going to cost me much the same whichever way I went, so bit the bullet and decided to get it shipped down.

Another $400+.

Got some quotes, and Robin's normal trucking company Bikes Only were competitive, so decided it made sense to use them.

Shouldn't be too difficult should it. Stick it on a truck going from Brisbane past Canberra, what can go wrong.

2 weeks later it leaves Brisbane, next time I check it is in Sydney coming down in a few days. Hmmm, why did it get dropped off in Sydney.

Then I get told it will be delivered late Thursday, no show.
Then Friday, no show, the driver's off fighting fires in Yass, where's his priorities, my bike versus Yass, not a contest.
Promises to deliver it Saturday afternoon. No show.
Sent him a message Sunday morning, and get a call to say 'sorry, though you were someone else, you're bike is still in Sydney'. Aaaaah shiiiiiiiit.
Apparently my bike got dropped off in Sydney 'accidentallly'.
At least the lady I talked to on Monday was very apologetic, and admitted it was a cock-up, my words not hers.

So, she promised it would arrive on Tuesday afternoon.
And it did. Hallelujah.

And it appeared to be in good nick. Had obviously been left outside for some time, minor corrosion on the aluminium, and after 4 months, it started.

All the trials and tribulations disappeared.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #43
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Step 6 - Get it registered

Having postponed my registration inspection three times due to the delay in delivery, I was booked in again on the Thursday morning.

Got a permit to ride the bike to the inspection. Did some basic checks, only realising that the brake light wasn't working an hour before the inspection.

Inspection went fine until they asked for my 'engineering certification' or some-such thing. I said it didn't need it as it was pre 89, they said "don't think so, will check with the boss". He came out and said yes it did have to have a certificate to say that it complied with the ADR's as at 1988, not the full RAWS certification that post 89 vehicles required.

Heart sank, pipped at the post.

So they signed the paperwork, told me to go to someone nearby who does these inspections, but as I'm going out the boss says "meet me outside for a chat".

He asks a few questions about whether the bike was the same in US as in AUS, whether the lights pointed right or straight ahead etc, and then says "I'll sign it off for you".

Could have kissed him.

So all that shit I've heaped on the folks at Dickson inspection station over the last 5 years, I publicly retract it all now.

Did the paperwork, paid the mucho dollars, and became the new owner of the bike, almost 12 months after putting down the deposit.

So, I'm still not sure what the actual inspection was that they were asking for. I suspect it was just the same 'roadworthy inspection' one does when trying to get a vehicle registered from another state. But could be wrong.

And your state could have totally different rules. I had been assured by several people at the Registry when I was checking this side of the process that the bike did not need any special inspections etc. So check and double-check exactly what they mean.

But all's well that ends well as they say.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #44
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,137
A bit lighter in the pocket, but all worked out OK, that has to be a plus. Any damage to the bike on the way over?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #45
PeterWebtrax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Step 7 - was it worth it, would I do it again.

For me, was it worth it financially, probably not. I was hoping to get it here for a couple of thousand less than it would have cost here. But with the extra costs of importation and trucking, it probably cost about the same.

Assuming of course that I could have found one in this condition and low mileage, Jesse panniers etc. Probably not.

And I got to use it for 3 weeks in the US, which would have cost me even more.

If you could avoid the pitfalls I fell into, yes you could bring one in cheaper than you could buy one here. Also much easier if you are not going over there to use the thing.

Would I do it again. Well, not sure, but there's a very nice CX650 Turbo for sale in Europe at the moment, very tempting.

Anyway, hope this little story will help others contemplating the same thing. It is certainly doable, and there's a lot of bloody nice motorbikes over there to choose from.

Happy to take questions, and/or be corrected if I got anything wrong, and hopefully this thread can become a comprehensive guide for others.

Cheers
Pete