ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #961
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessier View Post
Go easy on me I am new to this rally thing. So what I don't get is it seams we need to bring tent, sleeping gear, provisions for 3 nights in the woods and whatever maybe needed to get ourselves out of the woods if needed. With all that gear, and food how they heck are some of you gonna do it on a single cycling dirt bike? Is someone running a support truck or something? None of the bikes in these pictures have gear strapped to them what gives? Will food stops be on the route or is food a fend for yourself kind of situation? It seams my 990 adv might be two big of a bike but what's the perfect bike for this ride? I am an experienced rider but never done this type of adventure. For us newbies what should we be expecting?Will the big bikes will we be able to make it through all the routes or are we screwed?
Need to bring:
tent, sleeping bag, snacks, water, tools, tubes, etc...

You can find food along the way. There will be many towns we pass through where you can pick something up before the camps. I brought a stove last year, didn't use it once.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #962
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Go easy on me I am new to this rally thing. So what I don't get is it seams we need to bring tent, sleeping gear, provisions for 3 nights in the woods and whatever maybe needed to get ourselves out of the woods if needed. With all that gear, and food how they heck are some of you gonna do it on a single cycling dirt bike? Is someone running a support truck or something? None of the bikes in these pictures have gear strapped to them what gives? Will food stops be on the route or is food a fend for yourself kind of situation? It seams my 990 adv might be two big of a bike but what's the perfect bike for this ride? I am an experienced rider but never done this type of adventure. For us newbies what should we be expecting?Will the big bikes will we be able to make it through all the routes or are we screwed?
It sounds like you'll be fine if you don't try to carry the same gear you would while car camping with the family.. Keep your gear to a minimum and most likely you won't have any problems if you have some trail riding experience... Last year I rode the entire time with all my gear and I had some rear tire issues (they appeared to be manufacturer defect) but despite my two flat tires I got through the ride and made it back home to CT; although with a little help from some other riders.

Here's a photo of myself and my crippled bike when I had my first flat.. Lots of riders stopped to make sure I was Ok but no one offered to change my tube out for me...There MAY be people around who MAY be willing to assist if need be but you're on your own for the most part..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #963
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,966
Quote:
Just don't pack any more than this and you'll be just fine.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #964
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
None of the bikes in these pictures have gear strapped to them what gives?
Some of the pictures you're seeing are locals riding the routes on day trips so no gear is necessary.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #965
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
2012 roaming rally, bikes with gear....

2011 roaming rally

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 04:15 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #966
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post

What's your dog's name again?

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #967
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 688
You can hit restaurants for breakfast lunch and dinner and just carry a sleeping bag, small tent, tools, tire repair stuff and a water bottle or two. Or you can go big :-)

Go light and test pack what you are bringing. Pack the bike, ride around the house to the back yard, set up camp and sleep there, break camp and repack the bike then ride around to the garage. We will be stopping at camp grounds so there are at least toilets or out houses of some sort. some have showers and WiFi, just make sure you can get by if they dont have much. Anything you needed from the house is something that you will need to pack. Dont forget to pack your tool kit durring your camp test.

Quote:
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #968
Momma Coast Guard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
What's your dog's name again?
all ya have to is.. "Askum", he'll tell you.
Momma Coast Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #969
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228

This was my setup for last year. I got it about as minimal as I could get. Tent bungied to the seat, sleeping bag/liner and clothes for 3 days in the side cases. Tank bag with spare gloves, phone, and snack for the day. Camelbak with water, and wallet/passport/etc. in pockets in my jacket. Tool kit/spares under the seat and in the not-visible tool tube at the back of the bike.

It was a tight fit getting everything in the side cases, but it did all fit.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #970
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Hey thats my husky....some pepul from Canada put that red sticker on the nice bike....ohh well it held the bike together for the rest of the ride back home

Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #971
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
Hey thats my husky....some pepul from Canada put that red sticker on the nice bike....ohh well it held the bike together for the rest of the ride back home

i have no idea who did that but he left some evidence

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #972
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
The DR in the background was my mount for 2011- one waterproof duffel and my small tank bag. I had my tent and sleeping stuff, clothes, and even a cooking setup. Made for a pretty nimble ride.

Dammit, can someone tell me how to upload my smugmug pics from my iPad? mike??
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

skibum69 screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 07:48 AM
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #973
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,675
yes, passport. You'll need a passport....
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #974
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
I won't
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #975
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
The DR in the background was my mount for 2011- one waterproof duffel and my small tank bag. I had my tent and sleeping stuff, clothes, and even a cooking setup. Made for a pretty nimble ride.

Dammit, can someone tell me how to upload my smugmug pics from my iPad? mike??
Is it a permissions thing on the image or the folder? I can't seem to get the image to show up when I try, as well.

Here's a screen capture I made of it.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote