Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #511
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Another much longer way to avoid most of the I-15 superslab is to get on Nevada 93 just north of Las Vegas. North to Alamo, then to Caliente, over to Beryl Junction, UT. Then south on UT 18 to Enterprise and St. George. Or from Beryl Junction to east Cedar City, then up 14 (Cedar Canyon) to some very cool high country. These are all excellent motorbike roads is you have time and are interested in taking the route less travelled. See you up here on the V.

That's a great idea, I've seen that turn off when I went up that way to play golf. I've seen the whole route goofing around in that area in my Cherokee. Thanks for the reminder. I'll give you a shout when I get up that way.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #512
MTNclimber0331
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great!!

R3, sounds good!! I'll PM you my number, if that's cool!!
MTNclimber0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #513
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Rrr

RRR...Hey great to hear from you...been awhile. That CA trips looks awesome...!

I will call you next time I am down....

ringo
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #514
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
San Diego to Twentynine Palms

Yeah, Kelly. See you when you get back down to St. George. Warmer weather is coming.

Here are a few pics from my time in downtown San Diego. Nice waterfront area.

Lots of WWII history.

Pleasure craft skirting under the nose of the Midway. The Midway is a great museum with lots of aircraft. Been on it before with the family. Well worth it!

Older sailing ship - Star of India.

And the modern cruise ship. Although I think some cruise lines have relocated ships away from Pacific Coast of Mexico, too much trouble. Hope this clears up. LA and San Diego are much easier departure ports than Florida.

Some waterfront sculpture.

Active navy presence in San Diego Bay. Park next to Midway is being renovated. Very nice setting.

Fishing vessel.

Looking back at my hotel.

Finally finished business and was back on the road by late morning. It was good to be rolling. Hadn't been on the bike for 2+ days, and was ready to get moving. Left downtown San Diego via Interstate 8, simply an efficient way to get out towards Alpine, CA quickly. Stopped once for a drink, then left Interstate 8 for CA 79 north. This was a good motorbike road. My advance research was going to pay off.

Heading towards Julian I immediately starting seeing lots of bikers -- solos, groups, Harleys, sportbikes, etc. It was Saturday afternoon with good weather in SoCal. Everyone was out for a ride.

One overlook offerred the big view down. Looking towards Anza Borrego Desert State Park below. Large elevation changes, especially with lots of areas at sea level.

Poked around Julian for a bit. Decided to buy some gas, probably about $5 a gallon. Seemed best to keep the bike tanked up before heading out in the desert. Turned out never even hit reserve for the V, but I was conscience about topping up as I was never certain of my route or the next gas stop.

Grabbed a quick pic of this classic BMW before moving on.

Dropped some elevation and entered Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Have fond memories of camping here with wife (at that time fiancee) about 20 years ago. Wife remembers all of it too -- flying kites, hiking, cold desert nights, etc.

Windshield view. The V does great for this type of trip. But, if I was going to log lots of asphalt miles at speed, I would want a bike with a better wind protection. The constant wind blast gradually tires you out. No complaints, though. The V was fine.

Stopped for an obligatory pic by the Salton Sea -- it's no Lake Tahoe. I remember being on the east shore 20 years ago, not much there either. Certainly the west side was nothing special. Good place to make mileage.

Drainage ditch or irrigation canal. Overall, an unpleasant area. Good to be passing through when the temps were lower. In mid-summer this would not be the place to be.

More gas at an AM/PM. I used to work for ARCO Alaska (in Anchorage). AM/PM as the downsteam distribution for ARCO's share of Prudhoe Bay. The AM/PM has a very southern CA look and feel to me. Half the people couldn't figure out how to use the payment kiosk. Lead to some longer lines.

Some signs of agriculture at the northern end of the Salton Sea. Town of Mecca had this nice mural (not much else). Worth grabbing a pic.

Found a good twisty road through Box Canyon. Left the town and agriculture behind, started heading for Joshua Tree.

It was clouding up now, but Box Canyon was scenic. Lots of loose sand just off the road surface. Warranted close attention when stopping the bike. Easiest was just to stay on the pavement.

Crossed over Interstate 10 (nothing there) and entered Joshua Tree National Park.

Really enjoyed this road. It was great for motorbikes. The sky was overcast and it was getting later in the afternoon. Put the camera away and just enjoyed the ride. Many fond memories of camping, hiking, and mountain biking in Joshua Tree, again all from 20 years ago. Didn't poke around much off the road, just kept on the gas heading to 29 Palms. I would definitely be worth revisiting Joshua Tree with time to explore. Good times and good memories.

Pulled in to Twentynine Palms just before dusk. Basic set of hotel choices. In keeping with my luxury living theme from Blythe on the way to San Diego, I opted for the Motel 6. I figure with the advertised rate of $50 for one person, this must be the ticket. I'm one person. All I want is a bed and a shower and perhaps some stupid TV time. It'll do. Done.

I took this pic the next morning. My room was 128 so I could look out my window/door and see the Versys resting peacefully. This was a good ride. I was really looking forward to the next day: Amboy, Kelso, Mojave National Preserve, then home.

Thanks for riding along inmates and lurkers!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 06:38 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #515
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,700
nice tour!

those wind turbines work on demand (electricity can not be stored...yet).
if there was demand, all would be spinning and grabbing what ever wind they could catch.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #516
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
i was wondering what happened to the 'midway'?.... i sailed on it in 1981.... stationed in yokosuka, japan... COM7THFLT...
as old as it was, that ship used to kick azz..... great pics!.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #517
eveRide
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking Fellow St. George Utardian!

RedRockRider,

I posted a video on YouTube about moving to St. George this last week, and I've had a TON of people point me to your ride reports! After reading and enjoying the pictures for about 18 straight hours, I'm thinking we definitely need to meet up. I know nothing about the trails around here. All I know is that it's 65 degrees today, I MUST ride, and it looks like you are the Dual Sport guru in the area. By the photos, it looks like you know your way around a camera, too!

Let me know! You can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/everideorg

Or the video about moving to St. George I posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhUpdh_wpE

Thanks man, I'd love to hit the trails soon!
eveRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #518
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
great trip report RRR - great info - I travel out to Calexico for biz occassionally - always left via I8, never 98 - Im going to give that a shot next time. Did you stop at the mountain spring station ? Ive seen it on top of the hill driving by but havent stopped in.
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #519
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 316
Awesome

Snow outside my window
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #520
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey eveRide - Nice video on St. George. Those are some bold dance moves and wardrobe choices at 2:37. I spent the weekend at Brian Head playing in the snow. Back in town, also back to work. Hope you got out to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveRide View Post
RedRockRider,

I posted a video on YouTube about moving to St. George this last week, and I've had a TON of people point me to your ride reports! After reading and enjoying the pictures for about 18 straight hours, I'm thinking we definitely need to meet up. I know nothing about the trails around here. All I know is that it's 65 degrees today, I MUST ride, and it looks like you are the Dual Sport guru in the area. By the photos, it looks like you know your way around a camera, too!

Let me know! You can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/everideorg

Or the video about moving to St. George I posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhUpdh_wpE

Thanks man, I'd love to hit the trails soon!
Hey Superhawk -- Calexico on biz, that's a bit off the beaten track for typical biz trips. I stopped at the Mountain Spring Station and took a pic from the outside, but did not go in. The alien RV park is right there also, a real tourist destination.

I would definitely try 98 instead of I8 if you have a few extra minutes. It's probably almost as fast, and I found the stretch through the Yuha Desert to be quite scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post
great trip report RRR - great info - I travel out to Calexico for biz occassionally - always left via I8, never 98 - Im going to give that a shot next time. Did you stop at the mountain spring station ? Ive seen it on top of the hill driving by but havent stopped in.
One more round of pics from the San Diego trip coming. Just too busy playing with the family. We all have to have our priorities. Thanks for checking in.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #521
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,187

Well, get on it man
Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #522
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

RRR - Biz is actually across the border in Mexicali - my company has a manufacturing facility there. It is out of the way but I like out of the way.
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #523
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Twenty-nine Palms, CA back to St. George

Finally some time to post up Day 4 of riding. This was from Twenty-nine Palms back to St. George. Overall, this was probably the best day. Great scenery through the Mojave Desert National Preserve from Amboy to Kelso to Cima to Nipton and out to Searchlight, Nevada.

These are some empty roads with some sweet curves!

Reasonable wake-up time. Poked around Twenty-nine Palms for a few minutes before hitting the road.

Little bit of modern art in the plaza of the visitor center.

Beautiful blue sky, much better than the grey of the prior afternoon. Check on CA gas prices. I would see higher, but much lower in Nevada and Utah.

Twenty-nine Palms has lots of building murals. This was great. An excellent tradition that somehow got started. Cement block buildings with no windows next to vacant lots were made for this. Well done 29 Palms!

So I start driving around checking out the murals.

Here's the whole building. Lovin' that blue sky!

Most of the murals focussed on local history, especially early settlers or prominent citizens.

Flying Constable Jack probably didn't hesitate to use that six-shooter from the open air cockpit of that Piper Cub.

Mural as tribute to Desert Storm.

Twenty-nine Palms is Marine Corps territory.

Big view down one of the main roads heading north out of town.

Large flag. Worth a stop and try to time the wind. Easy with digital to keep taking until you get it right. Back in the days of film this posed a dilemma.

On the Amboy Road, heading east then north from 29 Palms. All scenic all the way!

I like this pic. Overall an average pic, but it captures the vastness of the Mojave.

Striking colors here. This is a salt operation on the Bristol Dry Lake, just south of Amboy.

A look at the surface of the dry lake. Pretty hostile environment. Sky clouded up just to make the pic a bit more ominous.

Arriving at Amboy. This place is a classic. Serious time warp!

Here are some gas prices. Didn't really need much, but topped up anyway. Good to always head out full. Plus, important to keep these guys in business. We want them to be there. Very friendly guys running the place.

History of Amboy and Roy's Cafe. The "mother rode" -- Route 66.

Lots of Biker Club stickers proudly displayed.

Apparently the locals take turns plugging their RV generators into the Post Office electrical outlet. Another RV was out back doing the same thing. No wonder the Post Office is going broke.

Broken down old church and abandoned school. Amboy almost qualifies as a ghost town.

Had to grab the Route 66 photo. Perhaps at some point I'll organize a road ride that is all about Route 66. Endless possibilities out there with a motorbike.

Official entrance sign. Just north of Amboy and I-40.

Map. I was headed north towards Kelso. Eventually I'd go to Cima, then follow the Morningstar Mine Road to Nipton, and out to Seachlight, NV.

Excellent roads and great scenery. I had lost the blue sky, but was having a great time. In the zone on the bike.

Arriving at the Kelso Depot. This place was cool. It has been restored and turned in to the Headquarters for the Park Service. Poked around here for a while. This was a real highlight.

Simple jail cell to control the unruly drunks. Typical railroad town. Not like those "nice" pioneer agricultural towns of Southern Utah.

The railroad station. Classic mission style.

Details. Similar to the railroad station in Caliente, NV.

Restored lunch counter inside the station. Order a simple meal!

I browsed the museum. A few pics:

Kelso was "chosen" as the location for a station because it was at the bottom of the steep grade up to Cima. In the early days, extra steam-powered helper engines were required to get trains up the grade. Kelso provided the turn-around and staging area at the bottom of the hill.

Inside the old ticket office.

Nearby, the old post office has long since been abandoned. No free electricity here. Several other old ruins in the area.

On the road toward Cima.

Bridge work from 1928.

Looking down the tracks.

This sign is wishful thinking. Nothing left in Cima. Just a first class abandoned railroad stop. The sign was in surprisingly good shape.

Out behind the Cima store.

And the train coming up the opposite side of the Cima grade. Even these diesel engines are working hard. Living history. How cool is that?

Always good to grab a pic of a sign post. The key (only) intersection of Cima. Heading northeast on the Morning Star Mine Road. All paved. Fast.

Near Nipton, CA. Back to some blue sky.

Candidate shot for the Long lonely highway thread. This is actually looking towards Ivanpah, CA, a direction I didn't go.

Wanted to grab a mirror shot. A loose mirror (vibrations) was the only problem with the Versys. Constantly needed minor adjustments. Otherwise the V was terrific.

This was my last real tourist stop on the trip. After Nipton it was back to Searchlight, NV for gas. Then fast mileage back to St. George.

The Nipton Hotel.

History of Nipton. Railroad line. Farming/ranching and local mining.

This plaque caught my eye. We inmate road warriors can relate.

Also a small cafe. WhistleStop!

And the Trading Post. Checking out everything before getting back on the bike.

Sample of rocks from a local mine and the Nipton rail yard.

Left Nipton and quickly entered far southern NV on 164. That's a cool Nevada sign.

Passed the Wee Thump Joshua Tree area. "Wee Thump" - worth a pic. Lots of nice Joshua trees! My son thought "Wee Thump" was a silly name. Dead on.

Leaving Wee Thump and heading to Searchlight, NV.

Gas in Searchlight. Back to low $3 per gallon. No more CA prices.

That was my final pic. After Searchlight I was on familiar roads heading north to Las Vegas, then up I-15 to St. George. Put the camera away to make time and get home before dark.

Great trip to San Diego. Next time, I'll do it again. Lots of variations on roughly similar roads. I'd like to hit CA 127 north from Baker to Death Valley. Also could drop south from Boulder City, NV and stay in far western AZ until re-entering CA at Blythe. All good fun.

Thanks again for all the positive comments. Ride safe out there.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #524
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Nice set of day 4 pictures. I was in Kelso on the TU250 last year. We didn't stay long. I'm going to go back on the Versys, have lunch and watch the trains for awhile. It's a nice ride.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #525
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

As always, a bunch of neat places to ride and then show us. I'm always interested in the old railroad stuff. Old depots are for sure from a bygone era. Which, I wish would come back!

Thanks for sharing.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote