User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #1036
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Jana and Malene

I want all my readers to know, I sent the following email to my friends and I hope this makes them feel better about the confusion. I was disappointed at the time but i am better now that I have thought about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jana

I want you to know I had a good birthday. I met another rider I had met in El Salvador and we had a good time at the Brew Pub Hostal.

I have had some time to think and I realize you guys don't understand how hard it can be to cover big distances here on a bike. I was twelve hours just coming from Puno because of bad weather and cold.

No hard feelings and please enjoy your special day.

Happy Birthday

Dwight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like these kids and wish them all the best

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #1037
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJRS View Post
Hi Dwight
Happy birthday buddy ! Glad everything worked out for you in the long run! Nice to have a few friends around in a foreign country to hang and celebrate with for the evening.wind chill in central Newfoundland was minus 30 last night. Out here working for a few days and around 40 plus cm of snow coming this way on the weekend! Not your kind of place for sure. I pad was off line for few days but working now and all caught up! Excellent reports as usual...Stay focused and enjoy each day on your journey as much as you can....I know when everything doesn't go as wanted or expected its easy to get down on yourself! And then the Journey turns into a mission...but you have done fantastic so far letting the rest of us travel with you each and everyday to places unknown . You are our eyes and ears in a country that only a few of us will ever get to. We travel the roads and culture of central and South America vicariously through Kedgi's road report and your eyes and translation...
Keep up the Travel and Journey, be safe and Enjjoy!,,, Kawasaki didn't realize that the KLR could take over 100,000 people on one bike with one driver ! And remember that you are never lost in this world until you can't find yourself ......so keep on riding and enjoy the journey wherever that road takes you!,,,, th e road will eventually lead home to them love of your life , Angele is your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!!!!! I'm too big to fit in your tank bag but I as many are with you every kilometre along the way !!! Excellent pictures and stories ...a Real Ride Report !!!!!!!

Jim
Jim

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I lived through 6 Newfoundland Winters, never again!

Dwight
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #1038
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Hi Dwight,

I doubt Titicaca is among the highest lakes in the world but I'm almost 100% sure it's the largest lake in South America.

I've lived most of my life at an elevation of 1,600 m or more and can tell you that summer by most standards never reaches this high. Stuff like t'storms are really cold too.

IMO, nothing for it but to follow your Plan and get lower in elevation.

You're probably right about Titicaca, I'm not sure. It is cold here again today, this morning it was 4 degrees in rain.

I sure like Bryce's picture of camping on the beach.

Dwight
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #1039
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Birthday Photos

I just got an email from my new friend, Camelia, (That's her name!) She had a smart phone and took a few pictures of my Birthday Party. I deliberately left my camera home. I haven't looked at them yet but I'll see if there are any to share.

Kedgi
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #1040
Kedgi OP
Banned

La Paz

I made the most of the day yesterday. There is a lot to see in La Paz, and I walked around to a lot of the sights. It's tough walking here, so high, the air is so thin. I saw a poster for a Marathon they are going to have here, on these steep stretts and at this elevation, OMG!

Here is the Hotel Select Comfort, where I'm staying, not a bad place and cheap at less than $25 bucks for a room, and there is secure parking next door.

I got a card yesterday from my 'boy', Bob, that made me feel good

I have a lot of pictures of La Paz to post and I'll do that a little later...

Kedgi
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #1041
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,351
just a little note to say thanks for keeping this report going thru thick and thin, nice pics and ongoing commentary
just sit back and smile as the the blizzard bears down on New England and the Maritimes....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #1042
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Happy Birthday.

Better late then never
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #1043
Kedgi OP
Banned

La Paz photos

A look around this Gigantic City, La Paz

The Witches Market ( don't ask me? Wierd)

Another Witches Market shot. You can see the lady hiding from my camera

I think this is the President's residence. The Mapa Turista (Tourist Map) was a little confusing

Guarding what appeared to be a coffin at a big church

Locals having lunch in the Park

I don't know what this is. It looked something like popcorn but it wasn't, In hindsight I'm not even sure it was food.

Typical wiring

I found the highest Irish bar but didn't go in. It's more Hostal than Bar

There are many beautiful old colonial builds falling apart. It's a sin. Hopefully one day they will have a rejuvenation like Old Panama City is enjoying.

You see these little trikes everywhere in Latin America. This one looked brand new.

I passed by the Motorcycle Cop Office. They use KLR's

Jaen Street, nicely restored like Old La Paz

Another Colonial beauty that needs help

Another shot from Jaen Street, that shows the densely packed houses on the mountain in the distance.

The mountains are just filled with buildings. I think this is the biggest city I have ever been in except for maybe NY

Three Up! Something you see all the time in Latin America

That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed a look around La Paz, I know I did.

Kedgi
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1044
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Hi Dwight,

I may be able to shed some light on the witches' market. In Latin America there are two types of witches. The curandero/a's who are not really witches in our sense but more like shamans or traditional healers. In all probability, the things for sale were herbs and other materials which would be called 'herbal' or 'alternative' remedies north of Mexico.

The evil witches are brujas who cast spells like to sour milk or do other mischief.

Where I am, curanderas are well respected mostly in the rural areas. Think of it not as witchcraft but traditional or natural healers.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #1045
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Have been enjoying this RR. Never thought summer in SA could be so cold!
Ride safe!

2014 Yamaha FZ9
1973 Norton Commando & other old stuff
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1046
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,956
Nice work! I'll dig into this RR a little more when I have more time. Haven't been through Shediac in a year or so. Happy travels.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #1047
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Hi Dwight,

I may be able to shed some light on the witches' market. In Latin America there are two types of witches. The curandero/a's who are not really witches in our sense but more like shamans or traditional healers. In all probability, the things for sale were herbs and other materials which would be called 'herbal' or 'alternative' remedies north of Mexico.

The evil witches are brujas who cast spells like to sour milk or do other mischief.

Where I am, curanderas are well respected mostly in the rural areas. Think of it not as witchcraft but traditional or natural healers.
Cool Thanks!

It's so neat what you can learn here on ADVrider

Kedgi
Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #1048
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
just a little note to say thanks for keeping this report going thru thick and thin, nice pics and ongoing commentary
just sit back and smile as the the blizzard bears down on New England and the Maritimes....
hehehe

Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #1049
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
Happy Birthday.

Better late then never
Appreciated

It was a good celebration in spite of all that happened!

kedgi
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #1050
Kedgi OP
Banned

Prayer

Guys and Girls

My good friend Jacquie died yesterday, way too young, from cancer. I know most of you don't know her or her wonderful husband Mark, but if you believe in prayer please say a prayer for them tonight.

That's all I want to say about that on this RR

Thanks

Dwight