Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Long Term Report: Kenda Big Block on a V-Strom

Background:
I have found that over the course of owning my 07 wee, I have been doing more and more gnarly off-road riding. At times I've felt like I've had no business taking this bike to some of the places it's been. But the bike has done ok for the most part (I've gotten the bike home on its own power every time). However, ground clearance and traction have been my biggest issues - other than me being a big pu$$ and a noob rider. Since I'm kinda stuck with the ground clearance being what it is, I figure I'm going to lean heavier towards an off-road tire. The Tourances got me by on hard packed gravel FS roads but I have been way beyond their capabilities and its time to move on. They're wonderful on pavement but that's about it.

That being said, I also do a fair amount of pavement riding as well. It's safe to say that I am a 50/50 rider. My camping/riding trips are both pavement and off-road and I sometimes commute to work.

Having read a ton of info on the Kenda Big Block there was only a hand full of reports from V-Strom owners. So I thought I would do a detailed long term report based on my set up and riding. Plus I'm extremely slow at work right now so mainly I'm just bored.

The bike: (listing farkles for weight reference and suspension difference as they'll effect tire wear)
07' DL650 - 30k-ish miles
Stock front suspension - will upgrade this spring to 1.0
Rear suspension - Elka
Jesse Panniers
Givi top case
Center Stand
Givi windscreen
Tank Bag
Tool tube filled with tools
and a bunch of other little things.

Riding:
I'm a conservative rider. I consider my riding style "spirited" but I'm never the one setting the pace with the group I ride with, I'm always the caboose. =)

Tires:
Purchased from Bike Bandit $212 shipped
F - 110/80/19
R - 150/70/17

I'll be mounting an balancing them myself. Having mounted and balanced race tires for my race cars, this shouldn't be an issue. Plus I hate spending 80 bucks for something I know I can do myself.

I'll give exact millage of the bike once installation is complete.

I got the tires yesterday...

First visual impression:
I giggled like a fat kid seeing a cake pulled from the fridge when I saw them leaning against my front door. These things look awesome and earn the name Big Block! They're huge. I already have more confidence on off-road rides.

Hopefully I can get them mounted and balance this weekend. I'll post some details and pics of that process and then will just continue on the report over the course of my time on these beefy ass tires!

mntnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

To hell with trying to mount with tire irons!

So if you buy these tires and are thinking to mount and balance them yourself... skip it. They are a gigantic pain in the ass. I have never worked with a tire as stiff as these, this includes all of my Hoosier A6's I have mounted on my race cars and those are some stiff ass sidewalls. Me and two other guys couldn't get do it. I worked on them for 4hrs before I admitted defeat and took them to a local shop to have them done. So fingers crossed I will never have to replace them while on a trail.

Seriously you can sit on these tires unmounted and they wont collapse under the weight.

The main issue is the same as others have stated on other forums; the sidewalls won't flex and stay in the center of the wheel, the bead wants to seat immediately and won't allow for the other side to slide over without use of pneumatic mounting machine or a gigantic clamp to keep the sidewall pinched.

So, lesson learned, Kenda Big Block = use expensive tools to get them mounted.

That said, I'm still giddy to get on the bike and try them out!

New Big Block (150/70/17)- 2k mile Tourence (140/80/17)

The other item that caught my attention is how small the actual sidewall is and how much the tread wraps around the tire.

I hope to get the wheels back on the bike tomorrow or Monday.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,309
look forward to your findings, its become the goto dirt tire for my GS.

I mounted my 150 70 17 rear with the only tire tools that I own. these.

it wasnt easy, but it was not terrible either.

On the upside, the hard sidewall makes it a run flat tire, seriously, you dont need any air in it, once the bead is set!
now, I wouldnt ride on the highway like that, but you can seriously run 1-2 psi off road if you want.

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
On the upside, the hard sidewall makes it a run flat tire, seriously, you dont need any air in it, once the bead is set!
now, I wouldnt ride on the highway like that, but you can seriously run 1-2 psi off road if you want.

As crazy as that sounds, after working with this tire... I totally believe it.

I wonder if rim design makes a difference in ease of mounting? I have the Motion Pro 3 iron set and we also tried with another buddies irons that are the spoon type.

I'm doing a few more maintenance things to the bike while its still crummy weather then hopefully can sneak in a ride this weekend.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

So not an extended ride but I did make it out for a bit tonight and will commute to work in the morning.

First impressions:
Slow speed pulling out to the main road, definite vibration that shakes both the bike and I. The front end feels pretty twitchy but stabilizes with speed. Both of which I anticipated. It is a knobby tire.

Pavement:
Ever ridden next to a lifted up 4x4 with big ass knobby tires at highway speed? Well they sound a lot like that. They have a rumble/roar. They are a louder tire but didn't bother me and again, was expected. Truth be told, I dig it. :yesnod:

The handling seems decent. While I didn't get into any twisties, normal speed cornering was fine and felt ok. The one thing that will take some getting use to is; there seems to be a defined point of cross over when leaning the bike. Its like I can feel the tire transition from being upright to being on its side. Once there it holds well but the first few leans offered a bit of a pucker factor as the bike started to lean and then went full lean. Or at least that's how it felt as I didn't get into real hard leaning turns. So on pavement transitions are not as smooth as with the Tourance. Not anticipated, but makes sense so no worries.

Off Road:
There is a mile or so long gravel road that leads to a boat ramp just down the road from my house. It's hard packed, flat but has several holes/ruts filled with water. There is a lot of traffic on that road so it's very smooth for a gravel road.

Wow, this is where these tires want to be! They felt amazing and got rid of huge amounts of gravel road squirm. I can't wait till the weekend to get up to the mountains. I don't know what else to say, the difference has to be experienced. They're fantastic!

Question for those already running these tires... what pressures do you run on and off-road?

Mine are at 30psi.

I'm reading that off road, the tires are great at 10psi and can safely go lower. one fella says, 1-2psi but don't know that I'll go that low.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 329
I have Big blocks on my Pegaso. Worked best in the dirt, OK on the highway but the front wore out in 2K miles. I tend to brake heavy with the front and this was too much for them.
I'm probably a 50/50 rider but I'll go back to a more highway worthy front tire and slow down on the dirt. Probably smart considering my penchant for falling off.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Watching...but wishing you had a Vee...
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

I hope I get more than 2k miles out of mine. If not, than I will definitely have to find another tire as going though 5-6 tires a year will not only suck be is too spendy for me.

tommymerle - what air pressures are you running?

EVLED - while I don't have a vee, the results should relate equally, no?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnbound View Post
EVLED - while I don't have a vee, the results should relate equally, no?
You're a bit lighter and down on herbs so you should get better mileage. Still interested to see how they go for you!
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

Had a fantastic ride today! I can't say enough about the performance of these tires. As I'm getting more comfortable with them on pavement I'm enjoying them even more. The twitchyness I felt at first leaning the bike over, it has either subsided or I got use to it because I don't notice it or feel it any more.

Now to the good stuff - off-road:

These tires are the cats pajamas! The difference is 10 fold. I can't say enough about them. The bike doesn't dance underneath me like it did. The front end doesn't slip out in mid turn and damn, I can finally accelerate out of a turn! My dual sport riding was sooooooo much more enjoyable today!

We revisited the same area where I dropped the bike 4 times in the super sloppy mud. Last time it took me 45min - 1hr to get through this road. Today I did it in 10min! I never even had a moment of "Oh shit, Im about to go down." Instead these tires allowed me to tread threw it without hesitation. Redemption.

On the gravel fire service roads, they hooked up so well and are very stable on packed or loose gravel and over bigger rocks.

The only time I did get sketched out was back in the super muddy section someone laid down a stretch of big fat gravel in the middle of the road, rocks the size between racket balls and baseballs. I veered out of the soupy several inch deep mud to ride on the gravel. The bike was not happy! and danced like crazy. I immediately veered back into the mud because it was more stable there.

But again, these tires.... :

Oh yeah They handled like champs in the water too! :hurray: Since no one snapped pics of me crossing, I'll show you the ones I snapped of my buddy making it across.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 329
I run recommended pressure of 36#s on the road. About 25 in the dirt but I'm not good about remembering to reinflate. My front probably wore out faster because of my negligence
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

Cool thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

So on my commute to work this morning I got to experience how the tires handle under emergency braking. Short answer = They Suck!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,309
was the road wet or dry?

they suck compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnbound View Post
So on my commute to work this morning I got to experience how the tires handle under emergency braking. Short answer = They Suck!
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
mntnbound OP
Adventurer

My previous tires were Tourance, so in my limited no0b experience, that's all I have to compare to. The road was dry.

I realize that no off-road tire like this is going to hold pavement like the Metzlers, but the difference is rather considerable. On the Tourances, I could have stayed in my lane and would have stopped in time. But on these, I immediately felt the bike was not slowing anywhere near as I was use to, so I had to brake/skid/steer to the shoulder and take the bike in the dirt and go around the car on the shoulder.