ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.18%
Nasty? 30 13.64%
Nasty but nice? 161 73.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #3631
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote: Somebody - Remember planktonnnn that the resistence of the charging light is what juices up the alternator to produce a charge, so cutting out or bypassing that charging light will not help at all......?

Not sure what's happening here with posts & re-edit/nuking so unclear who said what when, but in relation to the above, I've looped the bulb feed & bulb return lines into one-another from the start & it's been fine except when I've lost continuity (eg bad bullet connector), but something somewhere has now stopped the charging circuit running freely i.e. when the bike is running there is only about 12.25v measurable at the battery, which leads me to believe something's cockeyed and it's running the ignition & spark off the battery without putting anything back in, as it usually shows 13.5 or more when running. I'm going to have to dig thru/ough it sequentially to find the problem, starting with the bits that are easiest to reach, tho/ough I may find the basis for the issue resides under the front cover. Whatever happens undoubtedly the problem will be in the last place I look...

But then my much hated maternal unit used to say with much sincerity 'Why is it you always find what you're looking for in the last place you look?' - seemingly ignorant of the simplism that one wouldn't carry on looking?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #3632
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

In case you were in any doubt...

The answer, in case there's any doubt, is to focus on all of them proportionately commensurate to their scale...

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 03:06 PM
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #3633
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboydeadly View Post
b?
Ooh, I think I know this one, don't tell me, er... is it d?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #3634
pjcr12
Stercus accidit

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
Ooh, I think I know this one, don't tell me, er... is it d?
Hatcherly......it's 'F' I forked up an edit/quote/reply/edit/reply/quote/quote/quote on my post about the
charging lamp thang which started off the whole 'a' - 'b' business. I have started (?) to lose my marbles
after my incremental age-related event of last week......it's not easy being 57, flat broke and aimless,
but as they say, someone's got to do it and it might as well be me. On a positive note, I donated a
Chinese copy of a Piaggio scooter to a car'n'bike based project for young criminals today, which made
me feel as if I'd achieved something, which was nice.........anyway, I'd like to take this opportunity to
remark upon the fact that this thread has passed the quarter-million-views mark; something of an
achievement, I'd say, which suggests that maybe, maybe, it should be dragged out the back and shot.
I only mention this because I seem to remember a passing reference to nuking it on one of planktonnn's
recent posts, and as there was no reaction from anyone at that time, I thought I'd bump the notion back
up to the frontal-cortex of the "Insert.......etc" mind/brain continuum and see what happened, if anything.
pjcr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #3635
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
thoughts
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #3636
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjcr12 View Post
I'd say, which suggests that maybe, maybe, it should be dragged out the back and shot. I only mention this because I seem to remember a passing reference to nuking it on one of planktonnn's recent posts, and as there was no reaction from anyone at that time, I thought I'd bump the notion back up to the frontal-cortex of the "Insert.......etc" mind/brain continuum and see what happened, if anything.
Ah, well, strangely, there was no dialogue here, but instead I received some lengthy impassioned direct messages beseeching non-deletion...
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3637
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jings View Post
thoughts
Does the charging circuit work? If so, I'll take it I'll come back with something of a more reasoned critique later
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #3638
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

front end looks a bit skinny would be better with fork gaters . nice tho non the less
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #3639
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #3640
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Better than I could do...

Quote:
thoughts
I too can see gaiters on the front, though I'd rather see the thicker K series front end (like mine) with the stiffer top yolk & better brakes, but then you lose the spoked front wheel. I like the look of the cable/undertank res front brake solution, but dislike its lagging feel & detest the pivoty callipers whose name escapes me as I type... H/light & bars are nice, I think I'd be looking at a short front mudfenderguard similar in shape to the rear mud fenderguard, which by the way is slightly too short for me, but is longer than what I'd put on the front. I wonder how the rear plate would be done & how it would effect the lines?

The tank is nice but I prefer doing this with the K ally tank as it doesn't rust, or at least not in the same way, but then this one may well be lacquered or at least greezed to stave off t' rust.

Engine looks nice but being a messy sod I'd rather see it after 10k miles with a healthy dulling fur of ally oxidisation. I prefer RAASK reasets as the more foot forward position is not my preference, and for those I know with bigger feet the standard position means they end up kicking the carb bowls. I like the pipes, as they're a much more efficient length than mine, but not too long, stopping by the rear axle. I would have thought this would help with breathing/scavenging, I'm guessing at lower revs as the track/power/dyno based pipes I see are most often longer, but this is a pure guess.

I know that the local (and best) Dave the mechanic runs straight thru/ough 40mm longinsh pipes on his cafe boxer, with megaphone outers welded on to look like silencers, but there are only the smallest of slitted inlets from the thru/ough pipe into the megaphones. I don't recall if he has a front or rear (or both) cross pipe, but I think his exhaust is intended to work with his flowed heads, 90s carbs & 336 cam at higher revs - so I'm guessing long for high rev gain, and maybe short for low? Either way these look a nice length, and I've always liked a bit of exhaust wrap.

Tyres are nice, tho/ough I don't know what they'd turn like? Seat is too long for my needs as everyone steadfastly refuses to get on the back, and I'm not insured for a pillion anyway. Is it just me or are there really miserly rear pegs, if any at all. A double seat & no rear pegs would be an MOT fail at Micky Spermans bike shop, the one shop in the area where you sort of get made to feel uncomfortable for inconveniencing them when you pop in, or maybe that's just me? I prefer the stubby 'cut off behind the shock mounts' subframe, but then I think it needs bracing between the remaining top tubes to discourage the twist I imagine I can feel at the back of my hacked/unbraced rear end.

Can't see a battery mount box under the gearbox, so I wonder what's going on there? Total loss system? I note what seems to be a breather/pod/filter for the crankcase breather pipe at the top rear of the engine, below the petcocktap? I like no indicators or mirrors. I always try to keep a good awareness of what's around me but at the end of the day get keep out of MY way

Overall, no doubt better than I could manage so all respect to whoever did it, and its certainly more shiny than I would end up with. I do sort of prefer them to look lived on & not worth nicking, you know?

planktonnn screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 08:24 AM Reason: tings
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #3641
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
There's a short story in this somewhere...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #3642
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Pt1 - 1st draft...

Tablet 4.
D J S

Encircled by cautiously assembled ad-hoc antique gadgetry, the decrepit & cracked reliquary that was the last of the great tablets blinked with intermittent light & the screen flickered momentarily.

She quickly signalled a disconnect - “No smoke, that’s a relief. We’ll lock down that configuration” called out the head woman, “Let me secure that last pin in the rig and we’ll try again. Make sure you keep the water feed-rate stable, I’m going to need a steady current, run it just above the regulator rating & don’t let it drop, if we get this old wreck operating like the others did we may not get much time. And make sure you’ve got your stylus ready.”

The younger man glanced across gauge and dial, before looking back to indicate his readiness on all counts. And then, under the intently maintained & wary gaze of her ardent adherent, she soldered the last strands of the cobbled together power loom onto the malformed & improvised plug in the now confirmed order, and tenderly slid it wholly into the corroded niche in the base of that marvellous mechanistic artefact of a now bygone electrical age, which they, and others before them, had studied so long.

It had been painstakingly assembled from the mixed remnants of three such devices found so long ago in the same site dig - a screen from here, a button set from there, the best of the technological residue that slow passing time had left them – but all centring around the last viable drive & processor board they’d salvaged from the last remains that weren’t either crushed or crumbling, or otherwise unhappily mashed thru her predecessors careful endeavours. Of course she’d incessantly studied the almost infinite records, notes & diagrams of their work with the objects, pored over the eternal & sacred religious scrolls conjecting at their source, their meaning. And now, on the brink of their last chance of unlocking the devices mysteries, she found herself pausing to check her trembling hands, now overflowing with their own micro-voltage of nervous anticipation, before straightening herself, and looking squarely in the face of her uneasy subordinate.

“That’s it… Once you trigger that relay we may not have long – according to everything I’ve been taught it should present the last thing it displayed, and we’ll be the first to see it for a thousand thousand years. Here illuminated upon this archaeological detritus of our deep distant past we’ll slip a glimpse inside the roots of our myths, and legends will be to us revealed - Stories spoken round eons of night fires will be thereon displayed in their original form…”

Again she stilled her hands, and then each in turn breathed in search of clear mind, sat together in silence for a short while, while they wondered whether it would ever feel like it was time. And they could not but think anew of what might be revealed, what mysteries resolved; the roots of what myths would be gleaned once the long dormant screen shone out thru the mire of ages, its inscrutable obscurity once more illuminated across an age of darkness.

“I have The List…”

“Forget the list. We know the list. We’ll compare it with what shows on the screen once we get this thing up. That’s if it does the same as the others did.”

“But the Recording Form, there’s an order, a protocol.”

“I know. You think I don’t? I’ve read reams of them. We’ve all had our theories as to what we may find, but I want to try to come at this unmarked & impartial, from a new direction. The Form tries to concentrate you on the detail, when previously there’s not been a long enough live period with one of these things to get more than a few notes down. I want you to concentrate on the broader range of content, get me more headings. If we do what they’ve all done before us, we’ll just get the same results – the power is in the things we haven’t done – Use the memory skills that got you into this job in the first place. Remember, I want a wider record of what we see, get down the headings and then memorise anything else you can. This is our last chance. Remember everything you can, we’ll unravel it later.” She ground her teeth & imperceptibly nodded, and he closed the contacts that fed his juice thru the jigged up power-rig, and on into the now hard wired relic.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #3643
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I too can see gaiters on the front, though I'd rather see the thicker K series front end (like mine) with the stiffer top yolk & better brakes, but then you lose the spoked front wheel. I like the look of the cable/undertank res front brake solution, but dislike its lagging feel & detest the pivoty callipers whose name escapes me as I type... H/light & bars are nice, I think I'd be looking at a short front mudfenderguard similar in shape to the rear mud fenderguard, which by the way is slightly too short for me, but is longer than what I'd put on the front. I wonder how the rear plate would be done & how it would effect the lines?

The tank is nice but I prefer doing this with the K ally tank as it doesn't rust, or at least not in the same way, but then this one may well be lacquered or at least greezed to stave off t' rust.

Engine looks nice but being a messy sod I'd rather see it after 10k miles with a healthy dulling fur of ally oxidisation. I prefer RAASK reasets as the more foot forward position is not my preference, and for those I know with bigger feet the standard position means they end up kicking the carb bowls. I like the pipes, as they're a much more efficient length than mine, but not too long, stopping by the rear axle. I would have thought this would help with breathing/scavenging, I'm guessing at lower revs as the track/power/dyno based pipes I see are most often longer, but this is a pure guess.

I know that the local (and best) Dave the mechanic runs straight thru/ough 40mm longinsh pipes on his cafe boxer, with megaphone outers welded on to look like silencers, but there are only the smallest of slitted inlets from the thru/ough pipe into the megaphones. I don't recall if he has a front or rear (or both) cross pipe, but I think his exhaust is intended to work with his flowed heads, 90s carbs & 336 cam at higher revs - so I'm guessing long for high rev gain, and maybe short for low? Either way these look a nice length, and I've always liked a bit of exhaust wrap.

Tyres are nice, tho/ough I don't know what they'd turn like? Seat is too long for my needs as everyone steadfastly refuses to get on the back, and I'm not insured for a pillion anyway. Is it just me or are there really miserly rear pegs, if any at all. A double seat & no rear pegs would be an MOT fail at Micky Spermans bike shop, the one shop in the area where you sort of get made to feel uncomfortable for inconveniencing them when you pop in, or maybe that's just me? I prefer the stubby 'cut off behind the shock mounts' subframe, but then I think it needs bracing between the remaining top tubes to discourage the twist I imagine I can feel at the back of my hacked/unbraced rear end.

Can't see a battery mount box under the gearbox, so I wonder what's going on there? Total loss system? I note what seems to be a breather/pod/filter for the crankcase breather pipe at the top rear of the engine, below the petcocktap? I like no indicators or mirrors. I always try to keep a good awareness of what's around me but at the end of the day get keep out of MY way

Overall, no doubt better than I could manage so all respect to whoever did it, and its certainly more shiny than I would end up with. I do sort of prefer them to look lived on & not worth nicking, you know?
anything else to add
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #3644
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
anything else to add
Well, yes, but I wouldn't want to go on & on now would I?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #3645
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Well, yes, but I wouldn't want to go on & on now would I?
wrt post II
Never stopped you before.

wrt post I
It would be a shame if they found an adult dating site, hopefully it is something deep and worthwhile.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote