Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
That's right, arch support is where it's at. I like logging boots myself, they get a bit clunky but I can stand up on concrete most of the day.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
That's right, arch support is where it's at. I like logging boots myself, they get a bit clunky but I can stand up on concrete most of the day.
Lots of good suggestions... I wear loggers too, I have two pair of Whites and rotate them, expect they'll outlast me almost..
I've had multiple lower back surgeries also starting in 1979 (discectomies and then fusion on 2 levels with hardware in 2005) my latest was a three level fusion in my neck.

Recovery from the low back fusion was a bitch, took nearly a year before I was back to 100%, the neck took 2-3 months to get back to speed. I've lost some mobility in the neck but actually regained quite a bit from pre to post op in both cases. I can touch my hands flat to the floor without bending my knees and as long as I keep my weight under control have nearly zero back issues these days. One of my ortho surgeons told me our bellies often outweigh our asses and cause many if not most back pains..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I've always liked White's but never bought them......my Wesco's lasted too long. Either boot maker is a fine deal. Recently I purchased a pair of Chippewa's and they are pretty nice as I don't log all day any more. Somewhere around 140 bucks. All my friends make fun of me when I have my big boots on......but my back don't hurt.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #19
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Inversion Table

I am 67 years old. A little history, I hurt back in 83 at work. Back surgery in 85. Pain on and off since then. Pain sometimes last for months. Retired early because of this problem. No surgeons will trouch me. In October my pain was so severe I could not walk to my mailbox and back without stopping several times. Primary Dr said maybe try stretching using therapy. I decided to buy an inversion table. I do not turn completely upside down, I do about 45 degrees from horizontal 2 or 3 times a day for a couple minutes. During the second week I felt my lower spine being stretched and then suddenly a pop, no more pain, just sore for a couple days, then I felt great. I will always have an inversion table the rest of my life. I highly recommend one. I use the Ironman 400 through Amazon for $184. Best money I have ever spent.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,018
I have had lots of back pain in the past. I always found the bike to be more comforable than the car. I finally had to have surgery in January 2012. I got a couple discs fused in my lower back. I also have 3 discs fused in my neck.

I had always ridden bikes with a pretty neutral position - V-strom, ST1300, FJR 1300 were my last three bikes. The wife hated them though, so I bought a 2008 Nomad. I was a bit leary of the cruiser sit up and beg riding position, but so far I have done about 4000 miles on it without any problems. I have not done a really long day on it yet, however. So far no problems, and other than some loss of mobility, my back has been much better since the surgery. Oh, and the wife loves the Nomad.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote