Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #15961
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Well, that probably takes the cake in overall dollars. I'd be on a Zuma 125 if I was over there at those prices. I think we are probably suffering the same percentage decline here though. If you paid full price for one last year you were probably somewhere north of $14k, dealer trade-in would now be $9k and on the used market you might be happy to get somewhere in between......I guess 20% depreciation isn't all that unusual in the car world, but still you would think that such a long lasting, durable bike like the S10 would hold its value a little better. They don't even break-in for 5,000 miles...or so I'm told.
they about 25k here
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #15962
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Probably my favorite commercial, when I was a kid...

I was never a sports fan, but used to watch "Wide World of Sports", just to see if I would catch it.

I guy I work with rides one of those.....the thing is still fast and not horrible in the corners....
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #15963
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
TBH I do not actually know, but here's what I think:...

I'll be damned. I'm surprised to hear that.

The drumming, that I feel, definitely feels like a timing issue. And, it appears that, while they didn't get rid of it, they did sort it, a little.

I stared at those graphs, for a long time, yesterday. And, I can tell you that the second speaks volumes (to me).

It appears that the days of perfectionists, like Soichiro Honda and Hirotake Arai, are long gone. I can't imagine any Japanese manufacturer, from those days, allowing a motorcycle to leave the production facility with a torque curve like that: shameful. The engineers of yore woulda' thrown themselves on a sword, before allowing something like that.

It appears that, in a global market, we have even managed to Amercanize the Japanese; "Just get the product out, and let the aftermarket get it sorted."

I know they have to do quite a bit of fiddling, to meet emissions standards. However, because I have spent long hours, fiddling with different bikes on the dyno and at the track, I can't help but think there is so much more buried underneath the engine cases of the ST. And, I'm not talking about horsepower and torque numbers. I'm talking about perfection: the whole package. (*cue the "define perfection" asshats)

I love my ST. For me, with the exception of the weight and fueling, it is the perfect bike. I can't do much about weight. However, I am gonna' try to become a student of the fueling, and see if I can't strike gold.

Thanks for the response...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #15964
ballheadknuckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Makes you kinda wish something would break on a Tenere so we wouldn't
have to sniff around other brands for discussion.
What about your brake line clip, focus on whats available

Oh and which brand of oil is best to prevent hard starting issues?
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #15965
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post

How about the spokes that get all grimey looking? Or that the bike doesn't wash itself? Those are terrible flaws in the S10.

NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #15966
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
How about the spokes that get all grimey looking? Or that the bike doesn't wash itself? Those are terrible flaws in the S10.

Looks good dirty

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #15967
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post

Thanks to a lot of therapy I had almost forgot about that! Thank you. Let's start a sub forum
on the front brake line retainer clip failure. I'm sure things will snowball from there. It does tend to make the
GS/KTM items seem trivial in the big picture.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #15968
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,551
Laugh Sometimes Stellar Reliability is Boring...

~

Well, there is the ol' loosening/breaking spoke conundrum, though it does seem that once the spokes take a seat after a few thousand miles that fades into obscurity...

Then there's Pluric bending his rims, but even that seems pretty rare, at least for anybody else...

And a few of us have had the melted headlamp sub-harness issue, but that seemed to only happen to some of the earliest released ones. Haven't heard of it happening to later production ones. I have to say Yamaha handled mine on warranty at the time. Took a little head-butting since apparently I really was "the first", but after that they were golden.

There's been just a couple of rear pumpkin seal leaks, but so far there's been so few as to almost be nil. Lots of bitchin' about the inaccuracy of the speedo and instruments, but mostly it's nothing more than that.

Last but not least there's the (mythical, IMHO) "hard starting problem" that seems to attack only around the house...

Pluric already covered his brake line clip...

I think that's about it, isn't it? Can anybody think of anything else at all? More important, can anybody relay any incident at all where a Super Tenere broke and failed to get its rider home?

Even one?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #15969
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Then there's Pluric bending his rims, but even that seems pretty rare, at least for anybody else...

Dallara

~
I've lost 12 lbs since Christmas (even with a cruise in between). I'm trying to give the
rims a fighting chance this year. Still being a bit of a pessimist I've kept the Woody's
shipping boxes just in case.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #15970
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
I've lost 12 lbs since Christmas (even with a cruise in between). I'm trying to give the
rims a fighting chance this year. Still being a bit of a pessimist I've kept the Woody's
shipping boxes just in case.
Congrats, what diet? I stopped drinking at the end of December but the weight's not melting off as fast as I thought it would even with the significant drop in caloric intake (no drinking also means less eating late at night). Have resisted going low carb, but might have to if the weight doesn't start to shift faster.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #15971
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Well, there is the ol' loosening/breaking spoke conundrum, though it does seem that once the spokes take a seat after a few thousand miles that fades into obscurity...

And a few of us have had the melted headlamp sub-harness issue, but that seemed to only happen to some of the earliest released ones. Haven't heard of it happening to later production ones. I have to say Yamaha handled mine on warranty at the time. Took a little head-butting since apparently I really was "the first", but after that they were golden.

There's been just a couple of rear pumpkin seal leaks, but so far there's been so few as to almost be nil. Lots of bitchin' about the inaccuracy of the speedo and instruments, but mostly it's nothing more than that.

Last but not least there's the (mythical, IMHO) "hard starting problem" that seems to attack only around the house...

Pluric already covered his brake line clip...

I think that's about it, isn't it? Can anybody think of anything else at all? More important, can anybody relay any incident at all where a Super Tenere broke and failed to get its rider home?

Even one?

Dallara

~
You forgot the major recall from 2010 with that rear rack. YOU KNOW WHERE THREE PEOPLE LOST THERE LOADS..OMG!

That's right I forgot we have a had a recall

I feel better now. It must be a proper bike.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #15972
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Congrats, what diet? I stopped drinking at the end of December but the weight's not melting off as fast as I thought it would even with the significant drop in caloric intake (no drinking also means less eating late at night). Have resisted going low carb, but might have to if the weight doesn't start to shift faster.
Stopped putting so much in the pie hole. No special diet, just quit the non-essentials.
My son was 260 at his peak and is now 205. He does the crazy apples only and some
supplement thing. I mainly am going for smaller proportions and try to avoid grazing
when I get home. My wife is a great cook and there is always some new treat on the
counter. It ain't easy.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #15973
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,669
Quote:
Stopped putting so much in the pie hole. No special diet, just quit the non-essentials.
My son was 260 at his peak and is now 205. He does the crazy apples only and some
supplement thing. I mainly am going for smaller proportions and try to avoid grazing
when I get home. My wife is a great cook and there is always some new treat on the
counter. It ain't easy.
Sounds like the same diet I'm doing, will keep persevering.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #15974
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Sounds like the same diet I'm doing, will keep persevering.
Since it's already been covered that there is nothing more to talk about in this
thread I don't feel like I'm derailing something that there is noting to derail. Right?
So...... here is what I walked into after work, snicker-doodles hot out of the
oven.

Home made lasagna and bread sticks. Make that 10 lbs I've lost.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #15975
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
My!

Brother in law dropped 25lbs just by cutting out bread.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote