ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #166
2upincolorado
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 1
Future Trip

Great pictures! Looks like wonderful country. My wife and I are seriously thinking of a trip to Scotland to ride the countryside. We have a BMW R1200 GS (Colorado USA) and would like to rent something similar in country. Very early planning phase. Is there anything you could advise us regarding seeing the country by motorcycle?

2upincolorado
2upincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #167
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
kwakbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham,UK
Oddometer: 608
bring some waterproofs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upincolorado View Post
Great pictures! Looks like wonderful country. My wife and I are seriously thinking of a trip to Scotland to ride the countryside. We have a BMW R1200 GS (Colorado USA) and would like to rent something similar in country. Very early planning phase. Is there anything you could advise us regarding seeing the country by motorcycle?

2upincolorado
__________________
2007 Versys

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #168
radmeister
not there
 
radmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Here
Oddometer: 43
Thumb

Matt, just finished reading your great thread. When will you post your photos of Loch Duich and Eilean Donan Castle (hint, hint)? Had a great time there years ago.

No riding here in the True North Strong and Free. A foot of snow has already fallen today and it is still coming down hard.

I can hardly wait until winter is over and you start riding again.

Well done!
__________________
durate, et vosmet rebus servate secundis
radmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #169
Tjilpi
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Oddometer: 60
Wonderful, thank you Matt.
So that'll be Ireland and Scotland next July (from a then wet Thailand).
__________________
" A truly happy rider is one who can enjoy an unexpected detour along the way. "
Tjilpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #170
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Matt 82's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upincolorado View Post
Great pictures! Looks like wonderful country. My wife and I are seriously thinking of a trip to Scotland to ride the countryside. We have a BMW R1200 GS (Colorado USA) and would like to rent something similar in country. Very early planning phase. Is there anything you could advise us regarding seeing the country by motorcycle?

2upincolorado
Well to expand on Kwakbiker's eloquent summation: it rains a lot in Scotland. Summer is no guarantee of good weather. 2012 in particular was a stormy summer. Is Colorado hot or cold (I want to say both)? It tends not to get too cold in summer (ie it doesn't freeze) but high winds are pretty common when you're up north. You'd probably be ok two-up on a GS.

American helmets will be illegal to use here. For a helmet to be road legal it has to be EU approved. I've never heard of the police checking helmets but it's something to bear in mind.

As for renting a GS, a quick Google check brings up Scotlandbybike.com. I have no idea what they are like but their main page says they have 1200s so they might be worth investigating.

Petrol is very expensive here. Certainly a good bit more than you pay in the states. And it it gets slightly more expensive the further north you go. Most things will be more expensive actually but petrol is where you'll notice the biggest difference.

Other than that, good luck with the planning. I hope you do get across. Scotland is genuinely one of the best biking countries in the world. More people should experience it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by radmeister View Post
Matt, just finished reading your great thread. When will you post your photos of Loch Duich and Eilean Donan Castle (hint, hint)? Had a great time there years ago.

No riding here in the True North Strong and Free. A foot of snow has already fallen today and it is still coming down hard.

I can hardly wait until winter is over and you start riding again.

Well done!
Thanks man. Glad you enjoy it. I have family in Canada (I had to look up your lyrics!) that are constantly updating Facebook with new photos of the snow. I also have family in Australia forever updating us with photos of fire. We've had very little snow this winter and even less fire. Should be back out pretty soon actually if the weather stays as mild as it has been.

Eilean Donan Castle is top of the list this year so hopefully March or April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjilpi View Post
Wonderful, thank you Matt.
So that'll be Ireland and Scotland next July (from a then wet Thailand).
Haha it'll be wet here too! I really do hope you come. A biking holiday of Scotland and Ireland would be superb.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this year I have bought myself a nice new camera and sought advice on how to use it so hopefully my photos will get better. Fingers crossed that I'll have my full licence in the next month or so too which should mean that longer trips become possible and you won't need to look at a new picture of Loch Lubnaig every other day!

I'll leave you with a couple of picture from my local park since there aren't many pictures of Falkirk on here at all.

Callendar Park:



__________________
Scotland at 45mph- My ongoing travels around Scotland

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 04:41 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #171
Quasi1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Quasi1960's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Darkest Gloucestershire
Oddometer: 409
Quote:
American helmets will be illegal to use here. For a helmet to be road legal it has to be EU approved. I've never heard of the police checking helmets but it's something to bear in mind.
Matt82




Actually Matt, that's not strictly true. The wording of the law is a bit vague and is along the lines of a helmet must meet the relevant EU regulations, or be so constructed as to be of a similar standard. That's not a direct quote, but that is the bones of it. I have been buying my Bell helmets from the US for a while now, and the DOT sticker is more than enough to satisfy the letter of the law.
__________________
R100 of indeterminate history and model.
Quasi1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #172
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Matt 82's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi1960 View Post
Actually Matt, that's not strictly true. The wording of the law is a bit vague and is along the lines of a helmet must meet the relevant EU regulations, or be so constructed as to be of a similar standard. That's not a direct quote, but that is the bones of it. I have been buying my Bell helmets from the US for a while now, and the DOT sticker is more than enough to satisfy the letter of the law.
Are you sure it satisfies the letter of the law? Ie you've had this confirmed by someone who knows the law?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm only getting my info from Bike or Ride magazine (I forget which) that pointed out that while plenty of US helmets would meet and exceed the EU standard if they were made here, there are also plenty of DOT certified helmets that wouldn't be up to our standards so the DOT isn't recognised by UK law.

This helmet for example is DOT approved and the website states clearly that it is not legal for UK roads.
__________________
Scotland at 45mph- My ongoing travels around Scotland

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #173
Quasi1960
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Quasi1960's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Darkest Gloucestershire
Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Are you sure it satisfies the letter of the law? Ie you've had this confirmed by someone who knows the law?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm only getting my info from Bike or Ride magazine (I forget which) that pointed out that while plenty of US helmets would meet and exceed the EU standard if they were made here, there are also plenty of DOT certified helmets that wouldn't be up to our standards so the DOT isn't recognised by UK law.

This helmet for example is DOT approved and the website states clearly that it is not legal for UK roads.

Fair shout Matt, but I think you will agree that provided you don't wear anything obviously dodgy like the one in your link you shouldn't get any problems with the law.
__________________
R100 of indeterminate history and model.
Quasi1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #174
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Matt 82's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi1960 View Post
Fair shout Matt, but I think you will agree that provided you don't wear anything obviously dodgy like the one in your link you shouldn't get any problems with the law.
Oh absolutely. 1) The odds of a cop asking to check your helmet are small enough to be negligible. 2) Even if they did see it I doubt they'd care as long as it wasn't obviously crap.

It's worth bearing in mind though. If nothing else it's the kind of thing an insurance company could use to wriggle out of paying out on a claim. Though again, they'd need to find out first.
__________________
Scotland at 45mph- My ongoing travels around Scotland

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #175
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer
 
kwakbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham,UK
Oddometer: 608
Cant see it being an issue as the couple would be visiting from the country of origin
__________________
2007 Versys

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #176
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Falkirk, Scotland
Oddometer: 137
Good luck with the test Matt, do you plan to change your bike when you pass?
fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #177
KMC1
There is no spoon.
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Greater SLC
Oddometer: 2,277
What a fantastic thread!

I did a trip around Scotland several years back, and was able to see a fair bit of the country. It was fantastic to see your pictures and be reminded how beautiful it is there.
__________________
Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q&sns=em

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #178
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,360
Terrific pics and ride report..many thanks..now I have to go there..
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #179
trackrider
n00b
 
trackrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Suuny Scotland
Oddometer: 9
The Green welly

Hey fella cracking thread going here ,, have you passed your test yet ?? .. I have passed you many times heading up the road by Lubnaig and up through Glen Ogle ,, i noticed the bike as my friend had one who passed his test down at JAs in sunny Falkirk . Just looking at some previous pics you had posted and i remembered that day at the green welly stop ,, i had pulled in for a coffee when i got talking to the guy with the Duke desmo in your pic ,, i was the guy with the GS that pulled in ,, i was heading on up the road to do the loop




Keep up the great thread pal ,, the spring cant come quick enough ,, my arse is making buttons to get out on some dry tarmac for my anual jaunts around scotland/ north of england and if you fancy getting out for a run or two give me yell ,, all the best jm
trackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #180
DustyRags
Idiot
 
DustyRags's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: The Beast, California
Oddometer: 436
Great thread, Matt! I hit Scotland as a hitchhiker and train-bound tourist about a decade ago, and have been itching to go back ever since. Glorious country.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014