User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
LC4nicator OP
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 451
Bubba's Southern Reconnaissance Ride

Recent discussions of untouched tracks had whet my appetite.
Tall tales of tall grasses indicated minimal patronage and these "firebreaks" were waiting for some further exploratory work before the larger groups came to experience what the Adelaide ranges had to offer.
This would be a two man reconnaissance to gather bearings and other related info.

My weapon of choice would be my neglected KTM525EXC. (It's stablemate, the 640ADV, had been getting the lion's share of it's owners attention lately)
The 525 would be the perfect steed for this type of ride so on with the std muffler and the obligatory tank bag and I was set to go.

The weather gods smiled upon us as we set off from suburbia, with last Sunday's mild temperatures and the odd breeze or three beckoning us towards the wilds.

It wasn't long before Bubba's navigational skills had us in amongst truly picturesque surroundings.

Essentially, our tracks menu would consist of fenced strips of land between adjoining properties, a quarry that was discussed in earlier conversations & whatever off shoots & side roads/dead ends would lay before as as we weaved along the countryside.

The intrepid Explorers:
Bubba

Yours truly

Tracks had not seen traffic....evident by the grasses.

There were some picturesque scenes at every stage.

With undulating terrain on offer......what bliss!

An unfenced area presented us with a trail to follow....which we gladly obliged:

Some videos document the terrain nicely

http://youtu.be/QBQoczaS6K4

Challenges increasing as we progressed

http://youtu.be/6gNljEJ5cMY

Back to the firebreaks, the place was just stunning.
A creek crossing here with a subsequent weaving track up hill to follow......Nice!

Having had a great ride so far, we decided the quarry would be our next port of call.

http://youtu.be/m_bV7pbG7ZI

From there it was casual dirt roads & tracks up to behind the Callington area where the track gods once again presented us with a great loamy 4WD style loop.

Fuel was becoming an issue and the switch to reserves had us in the next town fuelling up both man & machine.

It was getting late so further firebreaks up north would have to wait for another day.
A long held wish of mine had been to sample some of the Freeway road verge, so off we went Adelaide bound.
Scenery in this area is spectacular and the breezes made for a comfortable ride.

What I had not planned on however, was the amount and size of the rocks hidden in those grasses.
The Callington Hills look great & smooth when driving past but can get downright deadly on the two wheeled machines.
We persevered for a few kilometres but with the Suzi's low clearance(the guard being a very timely purchase), the constant "split second from grief" and the time flying to past 6pm, we decided this wish would have to be fulfilled on another day (Get ready for that one Stu!)

A big thanks goes out to Bubba for a very enjoyable day trip and his superb map negotiating skills.

I'm sure many reading this will be throwing their hat into the ring when the next call to arms comes about.

Cheers Mate,
Con.

LC4nicator screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 01:36 AM
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Awesome ride and Vids Con!

Really put the fire in me belly and itch in the feet and it`ll definitely continue!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
DR Ozzy
Suzuki scum

Oddometer: 592
Some sweet trails in there, give me a hoy next time you go
DR Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
part 2 should needs to be whistled out :D

BTW sorry for the foul language, but it was a really BIG hole