Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Check with Woodies Wheel Works for relining the drum. I seem to remember that this can be done.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Easy E OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thanks!....I just sent Woody's an inquiry & attached a pic of a hub (lined side).
I'll post back when I hear something.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
I have the same issue with my '83 G/S. An associate mentioned that a good machinist could lathe the hub out and sweat-fit a piece of schedule 80 pipe into the hub to replace the worn out liner.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain View Post
I have the same issue with my '83 G/S. An associate mentioned that a good machinist could lathe the hub out and sweat-fit a piece of schedule 80 pipe into the hub to replace the worn out liner.

Woodgrain
I thought the same thing until I looked at the hub on these bikes. As mentioned, the bosses for the spokes interferes with a direct path for the liner. ie: turning the old liner out would remove the spoke bosses, too.

It's a puzzle.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Easy E OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Check with Woodies Wheel Works for relining the drum. I seem to remember that this can be done.
Here's what they had to say...

Thanks for contacting us. We do not do this service, but have heard of other companies doing so. I'm looking to see if we can get any info for you and will forward along. If you find one in the meantime, let us know.

Thanks,
Chris

----------
Woody's Wheel Works LLC
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
Easy E OP
Adventurer

I started thinking of how to build up the existing lining...metal deposition.
Seems like plasma spray could be a candidate, as it can be applied up to 5mm thick & there's a variety of alloys they can spray on various substrates...then turn down to desired thickness/smoothness.

A batch deal might be the way to go...to get a good price?
Anybody have a tired old '84-ish R80 hub they want to part with or sell cheap...so I can try to find a company that will take a shot at it?

I've contacted these guys (on 8/24/11 10:30)...waiting for answer.
http://www.flamesprayusa.com/solutions.php

Cheers,
E

Easy E screwed with this post 08-24-2011 at 10:31 AM Reason: flamespray contact time
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #22
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Easy E OP
Adventurer

Hub needed

Ok...

At first he didn't want to try...but after a little nudging...here's what he said:
" We need a contaminant free part that will accept the masking and coating properly. If you want to send a photo of your specific part or the part itself we can review it and offer pricing to you based on its condition and requirements. "

If anyone has a drum laying around they can loan out...we're in business. Bead or soda blasted would be great.
Anyone have one? I just had my rims rim re-anodized & new stainless spokes re-laced...or I would.

If nobody has one to spare...if one of you guys have a drum to clean up & take some hi-res pics of...that's the next best thing to him holding the part.

I've already given him a pic of a new drum...so he wants to see exactly what he'd really be dealing with.

Thanks,
Evan
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #24
Easy E OP
Adventurer

Chris at Woody's Wheel Works got back to me again...after trying to touch base with his contacts regarding relining....no dice.
He's very interested to see how the prospect of metal deposition pans out & he sees the basic issue as a growing one, as bikes age & parts become less available.

I'm still looking for a hub to send out to the plasma sprayer.

Thanks,
Evan
Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
ontic

Oddometer: 1,039
Bumping old thread.
Seems like an issue a lot of us are going to have to confront at some point.
Any news?

Oh yeah, and need to move to airheads
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
Easy E OP
Adventurer

The company mentioned in post #21 was willing to give it a shot. I didn't have a spare hub/wheel to provide. Need to find a (worn) spare hub...willing to donate to the cause.
I've parted with all my cycles since my last post. Fixin' up a '58 VW Bus now.
Cheers,
- E
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
alvise
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eh? keep looking with no luck

Hi, any news or ideas?
I come from Italy, after more that 300k on my r80 g/s 1982 in Africa, Europe and Asia I move to Canada, left the bike in the barn hoping one day to start riding again. Now my friend manage to put everything together, back in the saddle and running around the farm like new. When i try to do the safety inspection to put a plate on they say that the drum is wear over the limit and didn't pass inspection :-(
According to the shop manual Brake drum dia. 200mm (7.874")
MAX PERMISSIBLE BRAKE DRUM WEAR DIA. 201.5mm (7.933")
my now is down (or up) to 202.96.
I was hoping to build up, you need only 1.4mm, dosn't sound too much to me...
I would like to fix the problem (I hope to go to south america one day ...) my cheap option is to borrow a rear wheal for the inspection day :-) anybody around Calgary (AB) :-D .
I have lots of part from another r 80 g/s but not the drum.
If someone need some parts ask maybe i have one.
bon route
alvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
Easy E OP
Adventurer

Need brakes

Hey guys,
I sold my bike a while back.... someone else needs to pick up the ball.... from post #21 & #23.
Cheers,
E
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
RonZacapa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Same story - different flavour - R80 monolever roadbike

Got a newish (hopefully! - havnt seen it yet) rear mag wheel coming up from Cape Town next week. Same story as in how many miles will the standard hub go and still function after 3 decades of (ab) use? Seems the easier route to go as in just replacing the whole wheel seeing that it cost me R 350 - about 40$.
My current rear wheel hub has a lipped edge of note but I havnt bothered to measure it, theres still proper metal there but its most probably out of (conservative) BMW specifications. I use mostly front brake anyway
Already thinking whats to stop a decent engineering shop to turn out the existing liner on a lathe and heat shrink a new sleeve into it??
RonZacapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonZacapa View Post
Already thinking whats to stop a decent engineering shop to turn out the existing liner on a lathe and heat shrink a new sleeve into it??
Because the liner is cast into the hub. You can't remove the liner or press a new one in without cutting out a lot of the hub. This isn't such a problem for the mono road bikes as new wheels are still available from BMW. If you want to switch to spoked wheels, the R100GS hub (plentiful and cheap) can be modified to fit your final drive. The G/S crowd is stuck though as 3 lug mono hubs aren't available new and there are very few in circulation and nothing that can be readily modified to fit.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote