Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #181
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,810
As long as the bike will start on the side of a hill with a dead battery, I have no problem with fuel injection or electric start on an adventure bike...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #182
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
As long as the bike will start on the side of a hill with a dead battery, I have no problem with fuel injection or electric start on an adventure bike...
How did you get in the side of a hill with a dead battery?

By the way, how are we defining "adventure bike" in these discussions?

My definition of an adventure bike would be something capable of reasonably comfortable long distance touring, and some medium duty off road/dirt roads. Certainly not something like a DRZ.

I know, some of you hard asses "can" ride long distances on them, but very very few would or do.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #183
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,695
Heading out to the desert in the morning...gravity fed carburators, no fuel pump or injectors, full abs delete and stand alone ignition.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #184
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
How did you get in the side of a hill with a dead battery?

By the way, how are we defining "adventure bike" in these discussions?

My definition of an adventure bike would be something capable of reasonably comfortable long distance touring, and some medium duty off road/dirt roads. Certainly not something like a DRZ.

I know, some of you hard asses "can" ride long distances on them, but very very few would or do.

Jim
I used to use my XL600R, and traveled around fully loaded (the bike, not me). I never thought about battery issues until I took a friend of mine out into the forest. He was new to his electric start KLR. Climbing out of a canyon on a nasty road, he kept stalling the motor on rocky steps. He was using the starter every 5 feet, and I could hear the battery going. I advised him to just let it idle a few minutes to let the battery recharge. In a pinch, we could point it back downhill and push start it, but we wouldn't have that option with fuel injection.

Because of that, I would be leery of taking an injected bike very far into the wilds by myself. Now I used my Aprilia for road and light forest roads, and the XL (with drastically lowered gearing) for the nasty stuff close to home. Top speed on the XL is now about 70, so it works out fine.

Do those of you who travel across Africa or whatnot with injected bikes carry a solar charger?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #185
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,681
Quote:
I used to use my XL600R, and traveled around fully loaded (the bike, not me). I never thought about battery issues until I took a friend of mine out into the forest. He was new to his electric start KLR. Climbing out of a canyon on a nasty road, he kept stalling the motor on rocky steps. He was using the starter every 5 feet, and I could hear the battery going. I advised him to just let it idle a few minutes to let the battery recharge. In a pinch, we could point it back downhill and push start it, but we wouldn't have that option with fuel injection.

Because of that, I would be leery of taking an injected bike very far into the wilds by myself. Now I used my Aprilia for road and light forest roads, and the XL (with drastically lowered gearing) for the nasty stuff close to home. Top speed on the XL is now about 70, so it works out fine.

Do those of you who travel across Africa or whatnot with injected bikes carry a solar charger?
Sounds like your friend isn't too bright, or he was in over his head.

Honestly, there are so many ways that a bike can break that are not fixable in the rough that FI is the last thing that worries me, batteries too.

I could give a long list of more likely items that you could break that would leave you stranded that are more likely to be an issue than batteries and FI.

Jim

PS 70mph on a thumper flat out removes it from my list of Adventure Bikes! Freeway riding would be a bitch on it.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #186
Mambo Dave OP
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Heading out to the desert in the morning...gravity fed carburators, no fuel pump or injectors, full abs delete and stand alone ignition.

Awesome, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Just to give this near-dead horse another kick....

I just finished reading through the fantastic Sibirsky Extreme ride report (ongoing - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987)

It would seem to me to directly address the OP question. Walter Colebach has done multiple hard-core adventure rides - including England>Magadan twice (almost). He set out to do another trip staying on dirt roads as much as possible. He had the chance to custom-build a bike incorporating ALL of his combined experience with the terrain, fuel, service available, etc. He had no service truck following him with a mini-dealership of spares (not that there is anything wrong with that!). He chose a BMW G650 X-Challenge with a bone-stock fuel injection system. He specifically stated that he wanted BMW fuel injection as it was reliable, tolerant of huge variability in fuel quality and handled altitude changes well. This bike did 18,000 km of dirt riding (still going) with no reported troubles with the fuel injection (no reported engine problems of any kind - that I saw).

(On the other hand, the KTM had loads of fuel pump and electrical problems.)
Thanks John, I'll read through that.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #187
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Sounds like your friend isn't too bright, or he was in over his head.
He was in over his head, but I have to take some responsibility for that. I misjudged a few things: his ability, the weight of the bike compared to my XL600, and the condition of the road. He ended up crashing into a rock wall, and his wife (at the time) said I tried to kill him.

He is now engaged to a Roller Derby girl, and still wants to go riding with me, so all is good!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #188
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

NICE setup!!!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #189
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:

Whether it could be bumped on a discharged but not-completely-dead battery would depend on the fuel injection.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #190
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Solar charges

Quote:
No.

Unless you have a very large (think many square yards!) it will not have the capability of restoring a faulty battery (not enough current capability).

If the battery is not faulty and has a little charge in it (above say 12 volts open circuit) then you could use a small solar charger .. but it would take many HOURs to recharge the battery...

Better than a solar charger is an other battery and some jumper cables. Make some to fit your bike before you leave!

The above apply for any engine that requires a battery to start, not just EFI, electronic ignition etc.

-------------------
I know someone who rode with a set of charging wires between bikes - the battery was that faulty.

Make your leads long ones?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #191
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,292
Carbs vs. EFI...

...first hand experience, this morning.

Marion, MA
35 degrees
Bikes have been sitting in the unheated garage for 6+ days (Huskys)-2 weeks
2001 Triumph Tiger 955 (with borderline head gasket) EFI...fired right up
2009 Husky TE450 EFI...fired right up
2012 Husky TE250 EFI...fired right up
2006 Yamaha TTR 125...no start
2005 Honda XR50...fired up second kick
1999 Suzuki DR 350 (441 kit and pumper carb)...no start

Yay, you can work on carbs on the side of the road. Good fuckin thing, cause you'll need to

Hey carb lovers/EFU haters...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #192
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Hi all ! It is proven that a properly jetted carb makes more total power than the same engine with fuel injection . What the fuel injection does better is better starting, better fuel mileage and better part throttle response . When I read the forum posts regarding mapping and trying to load different FI setups for pipes and other engine mods it makes me love my carbs . Also, with carbs is I don't have to depend on someone else when something goes wrong . To each his own I suppose .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #193
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
Hi all ! It is proven that a properly jetted carb makes more total power than the same engine with fuel injection . ...
Proven? Really?

You mean a properly jetted carb makes more power than an economy/emissions tuned EFI. A properly tuned EFI system will do better than any carb. Depending on the bike, tuning the EFI may be easier or harder than setting up a carb and on some particularly highly tuned machines, the power curve with a carb may look like an EKG trace.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #194
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Proven? Really?

You mean a properly jetted carb makes more power than an economy/emissions tuned EFI. A properly tuned EFI system will do better than any carb. Depending on the bike, tuning the EFI may be easier or harder than setting up a carb and on some particularly highly tuned machines, the power curve with a carb may look like an EKG trace.
Dude, he said Proven. That settles it, debate's over, give up before you embarrass yourself further

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradluke0
Also, with carbs is I don't have to depend on someone else when something goes wrong
You would if you didn't know anything about carbs. Somebody who is willfully ignorant of carbs and refuses to learn anything about them will need help when something goes wrong.

OrangeYZ screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:04 AM
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #195
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
He was using the starter every 5 feet, and I could hear the battery going. I advised him to just let it idle a few minutes to let the battery recharge. In a pinch, we could point it back downhill and push start it, but we wouldn't have that option with fuel injection.
Serious question (as in, not being a smart ass), You can't pop the clutch on an EFI with a dead battery?

(not trying to be a smart ass, I have never actually tried it so I am speaking out of ignorance. I have popped the clutch on several cars and bikes to get them started. I couldn't get my V-Strom started by popping the clutch (it would burble and gurgle, trying to start) but I figured it was because I wasn't going fast enough)