Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #586
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 593
Thanks for the update. Very glad is wasn't nearly as bad as the first time.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #587
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Glad to hear RodT Good luck on your recovery!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #588
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
Hi guys. had the revision on wednesday, and was up walking 5hrs. later. Very little pain this time and I got to come home today.They gave me the steel ball they took out and you can see a lot of circular wear on it. But so far this sugery was a 100% easier than the first one. If you have a MOM hip, you need to look into this revision, I'm very glad I did.
Good to hear you're in good shape so far! Can you show the mechanically curious a pic of the failed hardware? heal fast amigo
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #589
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
Had a nasty fall last winter - walking the dog of all things - and my right hip has been getting progressively worse. Three month after the fall I had it checked out and all was well.

But last week I had it reexamined and it showed that the top part of the stem is loose.

So it's revision time.

Don't have an exact date yet but it'll be some time in the spring.

Ironic that the track get off didn't injure me, nor the crash where I hit a deer. Walking the fucking dog...

Jason

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #590
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
Not likely. They have to pull that big-ass stem out of my femur. Gonna bleed like a stuck pig, I'd expect. Still, I'm looking forward to getting it done. A small price to pay for being pain free.

Thx
Jason
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #591
PeterX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thanks!!

I'd like to thank everyone who posted on this thread

I had been suffering from hip pain for the last two years. I kept putting doing anything about it off, hoping it would go away. Getting on and off the bike got more and more painful.

I ran across this thread in February, it really motivated me to take action. I got an MRI, a diagnosis of a badly deteriorated hip and a recommendation to have a THR.

I found a good ortho in the Bay Area and had the surgery on 3/12/13. The info on this site gave me the heads up to ask the right questions. As of today I'm off crutches and cane and aggressively hitting the gym and the pool. The old pain is gone and the pain from the surgery is slowly fading. Hope to be riding in another month or so. Have a Nova Scotia trip planned for August.

I'm looking forward to a full riding season.

Thanks again to all

Peter
PeterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #592
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 593
And just like that you feel like a kid again and the best part is it just keeps getting better.

2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #593
gsrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
2 weeks to go - thanks

After having pain in my right hip for over 4 years, I'm getting it resurfaced in two weeks.

I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the great info. There is more and more on the web about hip resurface/replacement, but it's fantastic to read your experiences from a riders point of view. Even better to realize that I shouldn't even consider selling my GS....

I'll add to the thread with my experiences as I progress.
Thx
Peter
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #594
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrider View Post
After having pain in my right hip for over 4 years, I'm getting it resurfaced in two weeks.

I want to thank everyone on this thread for all the great info. There is more and more on the web about hip resurface/replacement, but it's fantastic to read your experiences from a riders point of view. Even better to realize that I shouldn't even consider selling my GS....

I'll add to the thread with my experiences as I progress.
Thx
Peter
Good luck and do the PT afterwards. I'm roughly three years post op on my bilateral resurfacing. My traveling in my job finally slowed down this year so I've been back to doing hard-core single track and running enduros and hare-scrambles with absolutely no pain. You're gonna love it!

Greg
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #595
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 169
Looks like this thread could use a refresh.

I'm 10 days into my new life, free from hip pain!
Had my surgery on Thurs morning, went home Fri afternoon, ditched the crutches Sat, started PT on Thurs - one week. You'd never know I had major surgery - it's almost creepy!!

If you or anyone you know is on the fence about this, don't wait any longer! I fully expect to be back on my bike for my annual spring roadtrip - except this year I get to enjoy the ride, rather than enduring it!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #596
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman View Post
Looks like this thread could use a refresh.

I'm 10 days into my new life, free from hip pain!
Had my surgery on Thurs morning, went home Fri afternoon, ditched the crutches Sat, started PT on Thurs - one week. You'd never know I had major surgery - it's almost creepy!!

If you or anyone you know is on the fence about this, don't wait any longer! I fully expect to be back on my bike for my annual spring roadtrip - except this year I get to enjoy the ride, rather than enduring it!
Sounds like you are well ahead in recovery. Renaissanceman I couldn't agree more with your advice on waiting. I had a resurfacing done back in Aug 2010 that I put off for many years. What procedure did you have?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #597
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 169
I'm afraid I let things go on too long for resurfacing, so I had the total replacement. Glad to hear yours was successful! I was able to go with the anterior approach - no doubt key to my accelerated recovery. Practically no restrictions, and getting up and moving around is encouraged. And I really got the luck of the draw in that I hooked up with a great surgeon. In fact, I just returned from my 2nd PT appt, and I'm already 2 weeks ahead of the typical schedule - which is apparently becoming more and more common.

Say what you want about western medicine, but it's a great time to be alive! Presuming you can afford it. I'll be paying for a long time to come - and I don't care! It's that good.

Looking forward to seeing you on the road in a few months!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #598
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Thanks to all that have offered advice and shared their experiences with THR. I am getting right hip replaced 3/19. Hope to be back street riding as soon as possible. Dirt riding may be put on hold a little longer. Due to the seat height of my GSA I am already mounting by stepping onto the foot peg and then up and over so I have that drill down. Never been off my bikes for more than a few weeks so that will be a new experience as well.
Looking forward to getting her done and moving on with life!

Thanks all!
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #599
BMWDavid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Riding again after 4 years off

My story on hips...back in 2005 my right hip started to bother me. Doctor said is was wearing out due to osteoarthritis. I had surgery on this hip when I was 13 years old and back then Doctor said I should be able to get 40 or so years out of it. He was close.

I was 50 (58 now) when it started acting up. I was able to continue riding for another few years but in 2009 I basically gave up riding. That was hard. I've been riding since I was 16.

Fast forward to December 2013...finally decided to go ahead with a THR. Wow...wished I had made that decision a few years ago! Six weeks after my surgery I was riding my Honda XR650L that I luckily held onto.

Just bought a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE to get back into sport bikes. I actually was able to sit on this bike more comfortably than I could on a lot of bikes back in the early 2000's. I guess my hip was starting to go away then.

Anyway going to be sure I really am committed to bike riding after these past few years of little activity. Hence the "little" Kawasaki 300.

If my passion is still there (I think it is) I'll move back into a bigger bike later this year so my wife and i can riding together as we did years ago.

Probably get a Yamaha FJR1300 again. I had one back in 2004-07 but sold it due to not being comfortable on it with my bad hip.

Anyway here I am at almost 59 and I feel as if I have my life back again!

If anyone is here on the "fence" about getting a hip replacement...trust me it is really not that big a deal, at least mine wasn't.
'14 Yamaha FJR1300ES
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #600
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Glad to hear your getting back on the bike, more importantly the pain is gone
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote