User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Bogfarth OP
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Puke Gotta quit smoking

Not me, the bike. It's a V-Star 650 Custom, 2001, with a V&H Cruzer exhaust (plus Smart Partz baffles wrapped in stove rope) and I've disconnected the AIS. Otherwise, there aren't any other mods. Until earlier this week, nary a puff came from the pipes.

At idle I get a wisp of smoke from the front pipe, the same under power, and blows a large but faintly-colored blue cloud from both pipes when I roll off. It also pops once or twice almost like a backfire every now and then. The smoke shows up regardless of engine temp, and smells a little like gas. The bike starts on full choke, which I quickly reduce down to about half. I can ride at that choke setting until it warms up (a few minutes), then shut the choke and she'll go like a rabbit. There's about a gallon of two month old gas in the tank with a half can of Seafoam in it. I pulled the plugs and compared them to an online chart (here). They've got a little oil fouling, but nothing else. The plugs have less than 50 miles on 'em.

So what have I done? In the past three weeks I've done some parking lot wobbling, shot Dri-Slide on the throttle cables, and today I cleaned the jets in both carbs. The pilot jets were just a touch gunked, while the mains were clear. Gas is a pale yellow, and has the usual reek of ethanol mix. The AIS has been disabled for quite a while, because it sounded like a popcorn machine every time I rolled off the throttle. Dri-Slide did drip from the carb face on to the front intake tappet cover. The intake boots are tight with no cracks, and the tappet O-rings are new. Either the Dri-Slide got inside the carb by running down the throttle shaft, or something else is going on...

... I just wish I knew what.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Wish I could help you since I'm also a vstar rider. Anytime I have a question I usually go to the 1100 v star forum. They are great on carb questions and generally everything specific to the 1100 and 650 vstars. Check them out if you want. http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...ha1100%2Fstart

By chance did you adjust your PMS screws at all when you were playing with carbs. I know backing them out a quarter turn at a time will generally eliminate the backfiring on those bikes. Even with AIS removed.
yukonjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Bogfarth OP
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjon View Post
Wish I could help you since I'm also a vstar rider. Anytime I have a question I usually go to the 1100 v star forum. They are great on carb questions and generally everything specific to the 1100 and 650 vstars. Check them out if you want. http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...ha1100%2Fstart

By chance did you adjust your PMS screws at all when you were playing with carbs. I know backing them out a quarter turn at a time will generally eliminate the backfiring on those bikes. Even with AIS removed.
Oh, duh! I completely forgot about that board! I'll copy-paste there momentarily.

Nope, I haven't goofed around with the PMS screws. They still have the cover plugs in 'em, now that I think about it.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Any luck?
yukonjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,406
Adust your idle speed first. To do this properly, a synchronizing tool is required. Then, the idle mixture screws. Backfiring on decel tells something is out of adjustment, and it's considered lame.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Bogfarth OP
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonjon View Post
Any luck?
Shorely did! Thanks for checking in on me, and the reminder about the V-Star forum! Too much Seafoam + oldish gas = cigar smoke. Added a gallon of fresh and the smoke went away, plus it no longer pops. I'm always happy when it's the little stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Adust your idle speed first. To do this properly, a synchronizing tool is required. Then, the idle mixture screws. Backfiring on decel tells something is out of adjustment, and it's considered lame.
Mine ticks over at 12-1300rpm, which is a tad fast of average. No tools needed, either; spin the thumb-wheel and the idle speed changes. I listened to a video of an M60 shooting before setting my idle speed. The exhaust sound is just a bit faster than the gun's firing rate, so I'm in the green. The backfire-like noise only happened when I blipped it or dropped the throttle after going WOT for a moment. With fresh(er) gas, that is no longer a factor. Thanks for the help, though!