Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,058
Tires decision, for an Xterra (not for bike)

Alright, due to my failure to rotate, align, and drive tamely, my General Grabbers AT2 are toast at 30k miles.

Rig is an 05 Xterra, 6 speed manual. I'm looking at 265 70 16 or 265 75 16.

I've narrowed it to a few choices, and I'm getting one of them tomorrow, so if you have some input, have a go at it.

Hankook Dynapro AMT RF10 - looks good, should wear well

Toyo Open Country AT2

Duratrac

Yokohama Geolander ATS

Mastercraft Courser AXT

The Toyo is pushed by Townfair and they have their own 60k warranty by the shop, separate from Toyo (provided I do what I am supposed to do )

Everyone is pushing either Mastarcraft Courser AXT or Kelly Safari

Have at it and please don;t suggest all season radial as acceptable for the rig. It sees snow, mud, and highways, and some woods.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
I went with dunlop rovers on our Xterra. Had BF Goodrich longtrails and the Dunlops, the Generals were about the shitiest tire I ever had on an auto. Hydroplane on a spilled drink.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,570
Honestly I've been happy with the OEM tire on our '07 X, the BF Goodrich LongTrail. We don't "wheel" the truck other than rough logging and access roads, and they've done fine and wear slowly. Quiet smooth ride too. When the originals wore out I replaced them with another set at the dealer.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,607
General AT2

My BFG Longtrails were almost toast at 50k kms (30k miles). I didn't realize how shitty they were until I had the General's installed last month. ('11 Xterra PRO4X.) The G's are a lot smoother riding and definitely quieter. It gets a bit moist up here too and I haven't had any problems with hydroplaning. Just got back from a 5000 km trip to Death Valley. Did Marble Canyon and Titus with little effort. Love these tires.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,645
23 years in a tire shop here.

The Kelly Safari TSR is far and away a better choice than the Duratrac, and cheaper to boot. My biggest customer is California's largest utility company, and they beat the living snot out of everything. The TSR has given them 20-30% more mileage than the Goodyear, has proven to be a smoother running tire with less weight required to get a balance, and it doesn't tear and chunk like the Duratrac.
I currently run the TSR's on both my personal truck (Ford F-150 4x4) and my work truck (Dodge 3500 dually).
I don't see enough of the other tires you listed to make an informed call on their use.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Mine came with General's new, replaced them 70,000, rotated them maybe twice. Put the same tire on, I'm at 140,000 still looking pretty good I'll make it throw the winter. I've only rotated them once. If your only getting 30k you better look a little deeper! My friend's wife has a X/T can't keep tires on it, but she can't stay off the curbs. No fault of the truck!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,058
Thanks for all the replies.

I just got back from the shop and ended up putting the same Grabber AT2 on it. Yeah, part of me didn't want to, but I did not care for the thread design on the Open Country or the Geolanders. The Grabbers never failed me in snow (foot plus), mud, dirt, and pavement.

The wear issue was from busted tierod and whacked alignment. All the potholes and bumps really did a number on the alignment last year.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Rocket Scientist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I just bought an '03 Xterra with shot tires. It was a no-brainer for me. Ive got Hankook Dynapro ATM's on the truck & got them for the Xterra as well. Very impressed with them all around. Got them OTD for $745 from Discount Tire. That was at the negotiated price to $150/tire. Great traction, wear & quiet on the road.
Rocket Scientist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,931
Toyo AT2. I've used three sets on a 3500 van. Great traction, wear, decent noise level for A/T tire.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
BFG A/T's.

They're just tough to be beat. There are tires that do better on the highway, but they don't do as good off-road. There are tires that do better off-road, but they don't do as well on the highway. I put ~40,000 on a set on my '03 Xterra, highway all over the state, and off-road as often as I could. They'd have had another 10,000 in them if I'd kept up on my front end alignment better and not let one get worn on the inside edge.

Now I'm running some sort of Goodyears, which are fine really. A bit more aggressive than the BFG's were, and noisier at cruise speeds, but mainly I got them because I wanted a change. I think the BFG's are a better option.

MV
Hesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 10,877
Not on your list

Firestone Transforce AT

Big milage 60,000 on an F150.

Boost em up to 65 PSI 10 ply.

Isaiah 55:11
" so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
not on your list either but I am buying new tires this spring when I take the winter bologna skins off and am going with retreads
www.treadwright.com

I am going with guard dogs with K-edge on my jeep
I have done countless hours of research and made my mind up.
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote