Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #676
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Have you ridden the bike?

It has a mode that all but neuters the thing. That is why some of the rider schools use them.

Um, yeah. I've owned one for years.

It has four modes:

Rain mode cuts HP to 163 (at the crank), puts traction control and ABS on max intervention.
Sport mode has full HP and allows slight rear wheel slip and wheel lift.
Race has full HP, more agressive mapping of the fly by wire throtte, allows more rear wheel slip and more front wheel lift.
Slick mode allows wheelies (unless you're at significant lean angle).

So, you think 163 HP with traction control and ABS is "neutered"? In Rain mode it has far more acceleration and and raw power than my wife's ZX6. I wouldn't describe it as tame even in Rain mode.

EVERYONE I know that rides one runs it in Race mode for the street almost always (they may put it in Rain when the roads are slippery).

California Superbike School uses them instead of the previous litre bikes they used. Not sure I'd call them a "rider school". Does that mean you think the ZX10's they used before were also good beginner bikes?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #677
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdoglover View Post
What could go wrong? Crazy high revs, a popped clutch, and a wheelie back flip in the 1st 20 ft, that's what can go wrong.
amazing isnt it that a brand new rider can loop dammed near anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
It's amazing how much power sportsbikes have. Which reminds me, has anyone ever heard this story?

and again, the SV that I had made, what? 100 hp at best? and I dont care who you are, that thing was fast.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #678
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Look what can happen on the Mighty SV 650!

He's just practicing his target fixation.

Looks like he has it down pretty well.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #679
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
You ask silly questions that you already answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
Does that mean you think the ZX10's they used before were also good beginner bikes?
Did the ZX10 have four performance modes and ABS brakes?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #680
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I agree, because I know how to ride. Some Greehorn kid won't know how to respect a liter bikes potential, and won't have the self control to not whack the throttle, and likely kill himself, or worse.
Easily solved by Randy Mamola, that special GP Ducati with a passenger seat, and some rubber-lined leathers. OK kid, this is what an eight year old bike with a passenger can do- you just bought one that's faster. (pull trigger, wheelie down pit lane). (two laps later) Any questions? Good- now go hose out those leathers. WHO'S NEXT?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #681
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
California Superbike School uses them instead of the previous litre bikes they used. Not sure I'd call them a "rider school". Does that mean you think the ZX10's they used before were also good beginner bikes?
I'm pretty sure they used ZX-6R's before the BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
amazing isnt it that a brand new rider can loop dammed near anything?
"Damned near"? I've seen a n00b wheelie a GN125. Repeatedly.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #682
FFLTR
nandesuka

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It's the canyon way...

There is a certain group of riders in the ABQ area that are pretty much solely responsible for bringing a rash of cops to my favorite twisty because they insist on riding through it as fast as possible. At least one of their group crashes on it per year too. THey treat it like an all-out race track with complete disregard for everyone and everything else on it. Knee down around every corner, etc. Some of them ARE skilled riders, but it IS NOT THE PLACE.

Thanks to them, the road is just about unrideable anymore because it's constantly crawling with pissed off law enforcement. Didn't used to be that way.
So you like to go fast there but no one else should?
FFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #683
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

and again, the SV that I had made, what? 100 hp at best? and I dont care who you are, that thing was fast.
That model SV was under 70 without a jet-kit and exhaust, a race prepped SV motor can get to around 90hp, but at that point you are really stressing the bottom end and it breaks, a lot.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #684
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLTR View Post
So you like to go fast there but no one else should?

I don't get a knee down around every corner and hit 90 MPH in the straights. In fact, I limit my top speed to 45-50 MPH on the road because of deer, gravel, and other factors. I have fun, and ride the pace and enjoy the corners but I don't make a menace of myself. Maybe you should look up the pace and see what I'm talking about.

There is a difference between riding swiftly and riding like you are on the track. The people I'm talking about are at all out track speed levels on this road. Are you one of them?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #685
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
That model SV was under 70 without a jet-kit and exhaust, a race prepped SV motor can get to around 90hp, but at that point you are really stressing the bottom end and it breaks, a lot.
SV1k
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #686
FFLTR
nandesuka

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I don't get a knee down around every corner and hit 90 MPH in the straights. In fact, I limit my top speed to 45-50 MPH on the road because of deer, gravel, and other factors. I have fun, and ride the pace and enjoy the corners but I don't make a menace of myself. Maybe you should look up the pace and see what I'm talking about.

There is a difference between riding swiftly and riding like you are on the track. The people I'm talking about are at all out track speed levels on this road. Are you one of them?
What's "THE PACE"? I believe the speed limit there is 35 so you speed and I speed but I have definitely been passed on that road.
I ride a little faster than the normal traffic, I slow it down if it's busy and try to be inconspicuous. But I do agree the "racers" have brought some heat on the rest of us.
Lucky for me I live 5 minutes away from there so I can head up when it's not busy.
FFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #687
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFLTR View Post
What's "THE PACE"? I believe the speed limit there is 35 so you speed and I speed but I have definitely been passed on that road.
I ride a little faster than the normal traffic, I slow it down if it's busy and try to be inconspicuous. But I do agree the "racers" have brought some heat on the rest of us.
Lucky for me I live 5 minutes away from there so I can head up when it's not busy.
The pace:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...nick_ienatsch/

Yep, you're right; I speed on that road. I won't deny that. However, I'm always leaving a lot in reserve for the unpredicted. I only try to ride that road during non peak hours as well, but this last year, the BCSD has had cars out patrolling it as early as 6:00 a.m! I've ridden and driven on that road the same way I do now for over a decade -- it wasn't until just recently that it got so popular with the knee dragging crowd that it's become over patrolled.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #688
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,397
Quote:
It's the canyon way...

There is a certain group of riders in the ABQ area that are pretty much solely responsible for bringing a rash of cops to my favorite twisty because they insist on riding through it as fast as possible. At least one of their group crashes on it per year too. THey treat it like an all-out race track with complete disregard for everyone and everything else on it. Knee down around every corner, etc. Some of them ARE skilled riders, but it IS NOT THE PLACE.

Thanks to them, the road is just about unrideable anymore because it's constantly crawling with pissed off law enforcement. Didn't used to be that way.
Which road is your "favorite twisty"?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #689
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Which road is your "favorite twisty"?

Don't post it in public!
Too many folks on the great roads already...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #690
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post
Don't post it in public!
Too many folks on the great roads already...

Motorcyclists are the original hipsters. "Dude, that road was so much better before it was cool."
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote