Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #31
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Ive had to go well over 55psi before, I suspect you will too.
+1 the rear 17" K60 on my DR was a PITA (and yes, the wheel was clean and lubed and everything else). Took 60 psi three or four times before it popped.

I am not looking forward to working on that tire on a ride. In fact, it might be enough to keep me away from the K60 in future.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
+1 the rear 17" K60 on my DR was a PITA (and yes, the wheel was clean and lubed and everything else). Took 60 psi three or four times before it popped.

I am not looking forward to working on that tire on a ride. In fact, it might be enough to keep me away from the K60 in future.
I had a 17" k60 put on my bike at Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks and it had to be ran up to 55psi 3 or 4 times and bounced on the ground but finally set and he does it for a living, so I was worried about doing it on the road with my little Walmart compressor......well I got the chance 2 weeks later on the Dempster. I rode it flat for about 1/2 kilometer up to a road pull out and I had no problem what so ever setting the bead first time with my little compressor. I used Ivory liquid dish soap from the camping kit. The biggest problem was getting the tubes valve stem through the rim I now carry a valve stem fishing tool.
Cal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
I've run my K60 (on the back of my 950) up to 100 psi to seat the bead.

The thing to remember is that if the tire is rated to 60psi, the manufacturer has tested that tire to well over 180psi. I've run plenty of stubborn tires up as high as my compressor can push (120 or so) with no issues.

Having said that, I use a clip-on chuck (hands-free) and DO NOT stand over the tire while it's seating.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #34
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I've run my K60 (on the back of my 950) up to 100 psi to seat the bead.

The thing to remember is that if the tire is rated to 60psi, the manufacturer has tested that tire to well over 180psi. I've run plenty of stubborn tires up as high as my compressor can push (120 or so) with no issues.

Having said that, I use a clip-on chuck (hands-free) and DO NOT stand over the tire while it's seating.
If that tire ever let go, things could get ugly quick! Good advice
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #35
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
The only time I've ever had a tire "let go" during installation was in the old days of rim brakes on mountain bikes. After a wet winter, the sides of older rims would be compromised from the brake pads/winter grit. I was inflating a stubborn tire for a customer (this is a BICYCLE tire now) and at around 40psi the rim side let go, catastrophically.

There were rim chunks embedded in the ceiling. I couldn't hear properly for hours. Scared the crap out of everyone in the shop. Now, even though I have no qualms about inflating a tire to insane pressures to seat them, I'm still scared of it and take the appropriate precautions.

I've seen video of truck tires exploding and have no desire to witness one in person. I heard a story once (no claims as to the veracity of this story) that had a tire tech not use the safety cage when dealing with a "split" rim off a semi when the tire exploded. According to the story, the upper half of the tech's body was catapulted into the air and landed on top of the shop's sign, leaving the lower half behind.

While I'm not sure the story is true, it certainly illustrates the amount of energy we're dealing with here.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain

Motomedic screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 06:59 AM
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #36
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,583
I was having probs last time with a very stiff paddle tire. Wifey mentioned I should heat it up with hot water from the sink.

Worked like a charm.

Me: where did you learn that?
Wifey: Ice road truckers
Me:
Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrod1318 View Post
i was having probs last time with a very stiff paddle tire. Wifey mentioned i should heat it up with hot water from the sink.

Worked like a charm.

Me: Where did you learn that?
Wifey: Ice road truckers
me:
rotflmao!
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote