User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
panhead_dan OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 716
Cadillac.

Seems like they are practically giving these cars away! I currently have a '97 STS (wife's) and a '95 ETC which I use as a work truck. I had an '85 Eldorado which was a fine car too. All but the wife's car were pretty inexpensive. My ETC was $2000 when I got it but after 2.5 years of work use, it has needed quite a bit of love (read $$$ and work).
I am actually getting pretty good at fixing these overly complicated cars! I am a carpenter and just about everyone I work with uses a pickup truck that really won't haul much in the way of tools securely while I can haul a ton of tools absolutely securely while listening to the Bose.

Not mine but similar.

panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,676
My friend had an early 90's Caddy like that in the early 2000's....needing quite a bit of love is an understatement

But if you know how to and are willing to work on the cars you can practically get them for free when the current owner gets a repair bill for the cost of the car from a dealer and they don't want to be bothered with it anymore.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
The Northstar's with head issues are the worst, followed closely by all the others with electrical gremlins.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
panhead_dan OP
motorcycle addict

The problem with Northstars is when they overheat they can be ruined very quickly. No overheat, no problem. I keep an eye on the engine temp and basically run the piss out of it.
The more I learn about this engine, the more impressed I am. 300hp and 305ft lbs from a 4.6L and gets 26mpg on the highway. Not fun to work on but with some research, it's doable.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Work truck, I like that. Makes sense even to me.
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,564
I started researching online as I was thinking of buying a first gen SRX as our family back up car. Holy crap, there are a ton of issues with those things.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
yes I liked the SLRs, XLRs and variants. great expensive cars at bargain prices but beware!!
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
panhead_dan OP
motorcycle addict

Cadillac = some really different engineering. It seems overly complicated to me but the ones I have had were damn good cars and I have been able to figure out whatever goes wrong and repair it pretty cheap. They seem to be as reliable as anything else out there as long as you don't let the problems stack up. No diagnostic equipment needed, it's built in.

A friend has an antique. I think it's like a 1930 or so business coupe. Ceramic coated exhaust system, dual mode suspension etc. All stock. I personally stood a nickel on edge on the engine while it was running and i didn't fall over. It makes no sound while running at any rpm.

I'm really glad that used Cadillacs don't have a big following. It's nice to have someone else take the big hit on a $45000 car and they really are a pleasure to drive. I figure, if I have to travel in a car it may as well be a Cadi.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
panhead_dan OP
motorcycle addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
Work truck, I like that. Makes sense even to me.

Yup.
I carry all the tools I need for concrete work, framing, sheeting of all kinds including drywall. Tools for finish work including laminates, molding, some tile stuff, painting, patching etc,
. Tools for door hardware installation and repair plus all my welding tools, 2 fire extinguishers and a well stocked first aid kit. Not to mention all the food and water I need for a day. All this crap is secured with a push of a button - not only locked up pretty good but with a security system as well.

Of course, this makes my ETC a one seater. (it is crammed full)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Yup.
I carry all the tools I need for concrete work, framing, sheeting of all kinds including drywall. Tools for finish work including laminates, molding, some tile stuff, painting, patching etc,
. Tools for door hardware installation and repair plus all my welding tools, 2 fire extinguishers and a well stocked first aid kit. Not to mention all the food and water I need for a day. All this crap is secured with a push of a button - not only locked up pretty good but with a security system as well.

Of course, this makes my ETC a one seater. (it is crammed full)
Understood, toolbox on big wheels with multiple access points. And like you said a nice ride to boot.
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I started researching online as I was thinking of buying a first gen SRX as our family back up car. Holy crap, there are a ton of issues with those things.

A customer of mine drops a huge pile of cash for a new Caddy performance sedan a few years back, (I don't know what the model # is, to be honest I just couldn't give a shit). Anyway, the car is a total piece of shit, ends up at the dealer dozens of times, generates over $8K in warranty work, and eats tires until the day he trades it in. He then gets the exact same POS as a 2013 version. This one was $40K and his trade. I think he might be retarded? Another friend buys a "program car" , a three year old, mid-sized suv with 20K miles on it. His wife spends weeks at a time driving the Caddy dealer's loaner as they attempt to repair the seeming endless engine issues. The car had major problems at least 6-8 times in the short time he owned it. He then dumps the car back to the dealer with less than 100 miles left on the warranty. The dealer confides that his car is one of the worst they have seen in years. I would say that your description of a "ton of issues" might be a bit too kind. More like total shit that I wouldn't waste a dime on.

I don't think that this applies to the OP's ride, it's a lot older and bigger than the turdmobiles I am speaking of. I started my career in commercial and heavy construction almost thirty years ago. Back then it was pretty common for tradesmen to have big old boats for work vehicles. I know of a few who did service work out of the giant station wagons of the day.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,160
The older ones are much simpler and have even more room. Years ago I flew to Florida and bout an '88 or so Fleetwood Brougham. A mint 7-8 year old example cost about $2500. You could fit 6 bodies in the trunk.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,167
Just bought a new 2013 CTS 3.6 Premium. Black/black
Had prior a BMW530 and a 07' SRX
Without a doubt this Cadillac takes the crown. The fit, finish and components are all top notch. And the 3.6 liter begs to be driven fast. I love it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Just bought a new 2013 CTS 3.6 Premium. Black/black
Had prior a BMW530 and a 07' SRX
Without a doubt this Cadillac takes the crown. The fit, finish and components are all top notch. And the 3.6 liter begs to be driven fast. I love it.
Nice!

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,167
Yea I really like it. It is bad assed for sure. Too bad I bought it for my wife.
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: