Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #16
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
I'm not suggesting he use a belt sander and scatter dust everywhere, nor am I suggesting that he should ignore hazards. What I'm saying is that if the presence of lead is "unknown" and remains so, his life will be easier. Once there's a documented discovery of lead, then he has to follow the letter of the law, not just the spirit. And he has to disclose his discovery when he sells.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Whole lot cheaper and easier than chemical stripper is a hot water bath with dish soap. Normally used on small parts but still effective. Old paint will slide right off and you'll find the first coat of paint from the factory well adhered under all of it.

If you are serious about only 30 years of paint on them, you're fine for not finding lead based paint since nothing sold after 78 could have lead in it. Even shortly before 78 it was being phased out.

Whatever you do, don't go looking for lead! Can you say superfund site and your LL will have a conniption.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,479
looks like the last coat was 30 years ago

I think the break over point on lead paint is latex/enamel. the old oil based enamel paints had white lead as a main ingredient. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the latex paints didn't used it. trick is telling the difference... some of the old enamels are easy to spot, but maybe not if they have been re-coated a few times. the gument says you can't tell the difference.... and a home test kit is not reliable, only a pro can test (opening that can o worms).

wet stripping is the best way to remove the old lead paint anyway because scraping, sanding, and/or heating releases the lead & spreads it all over the place.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote