Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #286
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Commuting by motorcycle, as a general statement, sucks. I think most people who will buy one of these will give it up first time their nuts get soaked.

To the extent that it might be a good think if more people get out of their cars, not really. I pay $20 / mo. for parking b/c the lot I go to can fit us in in the unusable car spots - if more people commuted by motorcycle, they would start charging comparable to what they charge cars; $250 / mo. Remember when diesel used to be cheaper than gas? Well now that the consumer market saw that, diesel carries a 25% premium. Moral of the story, be careful for what you wish for.......
I used to think it would be a good thing if more people rode, but I've changed my mind. Look at how most people drive cars Now put them on bikes

More people hurt. Now the gummint gots "to do something". I don't want the government doing things to my motorcycles. Anybody else old enough to remember the Jimmy Carter/Joan Claybrook (sp?) rear steering government motorcycle fiasco? Lord knows what the dingbats in DC would get up to now. Under the radar baby, under the radar
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #287
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
The misery guts society is out in force today..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #288
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
I don't know what everybody is complaining about. This is what you wanted. Bikes like cars. While I was complaining about it, everybody else was raving about fuel injection and ABS. Now Honda has taken those, and added an automatic transmission to it. Honda also has the dubious distinction of being the only motorcycle manufacturer in the world to sell a motorcycle with an airbag. Soon that will find it's way onto more motorcycles. Most new bikes already have catalytic converters, soon it will be illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust, and it will be enforced with inspections. It won't be long until all motorcycles are drop dead boring, just like new cars are now. Things will only get worse.

The manufacturers did not put fuel injection on bikes (or cars) for the convenience of the rider, they did it because the guvment said to. Same thing with ABS. I'm sure the insurance companies had something to do with that one. Speaking of insurance companies, it probably won't be long till they force high powered sport bikes out of existence with absurd rates, just like they did muscle cars back in the early '70s. And it will not stop there. The days of fun to own, fun to ride motorcycles are about over. You may disagree, but I remember back in the '60s, if you told people what cars would be like now, they would have flat out laughed in your face. Some, like me, are not laughing now. I have to have old cars to satisfy my car hobby, There is nothing new out there anymore but computerized, safetyized, emissionized, electronicized battery powered mostly plastic transportation modules. Totally worthless to a car enthusiast. It took a little longer, but now the same thing is happening to bikes. Pretty soon there will be no more bikes out there of any interest to motorcycle enthusiasts. You asked for it, now you get all upset when it actually starts happening. And happen it will, just like everything else the guvment sticks their nose in.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #289
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,714
Bring it on. I want a Toyota Corolla-cycle. Boring, reliable, inexpensive, and accepted by everyone everywhere as an acceptable means of transport.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #290
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Bring it on. I want a Toyota Corolla-cycle. Boring, reliable, inexpensive, and accepted by everyone everywhere as an acceptable means of transport.

See the first post in this thread.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #291
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

I was being facetious.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #292
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I was being facetious.

I was being waggish.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #293
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I was being waggish.
Wtf is waggish?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #294
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Yamaha came close, but built a 250f with the weight of a 600cc dirt bike.
Just what I've been looking for! Could you point me in the direction of the 600cc dirt bike that weighs 254lbs wet?
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #295
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
Just what I've been looking for! Could you point me in the direction of the 600cc dirt bike that weighs 254lbs wet?

That ain't the wet weight of a WR250R, but it sure would have been nice.

Further, they built it to the weight of an ancient air cooled 600cc dirt bike! My 570 Burg is under 270!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #296
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't know what everybody is complaining about. This is what you wanted.
Who wanted this?

And BTW, Honda is already boring so maybe they're ahead of the curve after all.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #297
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Yamaha came close, but built a 250f with the weight of a 600cc dirt bike.
Quote:
That ain't the wet weight of a WR250R, but it sure would have been nice.

Quote:
My 570 Burg is under 270!

You got a special one. My 390 completely stock with the tank empty. 274 lbs
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #298
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't know what everybody is complaining about. This is what you wanted. Bikes like cars. While I was complaining about it, everybody else was raving about fuel injection and ABS. Now Honda has taken those, and added an automatic transmission to it. Honda also has the dubious distinction of being the only motorcycle manufacturer in the world to sell a motorcycle with an airbag. Soon that will find it's way onto more motorcycles. Most new bikes already have catalytic converters, soon it will be illegal to install an aftermarket exhaust, and it will be enforced with inspections. It won't be long until all motorcycles are drop dead boring, just like new cars are now. Things will only get worse.

The manufacturers did not put fuel injection on bikes (or cars) for the convenience of the rider, they did it because the guvment said to. Same thing with ABS. I'm sure the insurance companies had something to do with that one. Speaking of insurance companies, it probably won't be long till they force high powered sport bikes out of existence with absurd rates, just like they did muscle cars back in the early '70s. And it will not stop there. The days of fun to own, fun to ride motorcycles are about over. You may disagree, but I remember back in the '60s, if you told people what cars would be like now, they would have flat out laughed in your face. Some, like me, are not laughing now. I have to have old cars to satisfy my car hobby, There is nothing new out there anymore but computerized, safetyized, emissionized, electronicized battery powered mostly plastic transportation modules. Totally worthless to a car enthusiast. It took a little longer, but now the same thing is happening to bikes. Pretty soon there will be no more bikes out there of any interest to motorcycle enthusiasts. You asked for it, now you get all upset when it actually starts happening. And happen it will, just like everything else the guvment sticks their nose in.
Yeah, I too think bikes have gone too far.

Bring back:

-F & R drum brakes

-points ignition

-headlights that are AA battery strong

-really hard ribbed tires

-an oil pool under the bike

-dual rear shocks that are toast within 500 miles

-stupidly flexy frames

Who needs ANY improvements- why fuss with good ol' stuff. Maybe bring back carbide headlamps.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #299
Navin
Unwounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post

You got a special one. My 390 completely stock with the tank empty. 274 lbs

Must be the bigger hole in the cylinder.

My 250f comment was regarding street legal enduros, not the WR250f, and Honda has been woefully lacking in that arena for how many decades now? 4?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #300
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Yeah, I too think bikes have gone too far.

Bring back:

-F & R drum brakes

-points ignition

-headlights that are AA battery strong

-really hard ribbed tires

-an oil pool under the bike

-dual rear shocks that are toast within 500 miles

-stupidly flexy frames

Who needs ANY improvements- why fuss with good ol' stuff. Maybe bring back carbide headlamps.
Don't think that was what JerryH was saying he wanted. More about government intrusion and control of industries and the boring products required to be made available to the public for safety's sake and to appease the insurance industry, allowing them to keep more of our money and give it to politicians as kickbacks and contributions. just a thought or two...

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:13 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote