Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #31
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
All the negatives of a diesel without most of the benefits, completely ignoring the fact that the Liberty itself is a complete pile of shit, poorly put together. Pass.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
All the negatives of a diesel without most of the benefits, completely ignoring the fact that the Liberty itself is a complete pile of shit, poorly put together. Pass.
They should have never gotten rid of the XJ.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
Have any of the haters *owned* one?
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Odds are none of them have even driven one. I love the drive train in mine, the usable power of this slaps the V6 Tacoma I am going to buy in the face. Jeep did miss the boat by not putting this engine in the US market JK, jealousy of the engine is what Wrangler guys have!
They like being on high passes in the mountains!
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #35
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
Odds are none of them have even driven one. I love the drive train in mine, the usable power of this slaps the V6 Tacoma I am going to buy in the face. Jeep did miss the boat by not putting this engine in the US market JK, jealousy of the engine is what Wrangler guys have!
They like being on high passes in the mountains!
I bought a '05 new off the showroom from Jasper Jeep in Jasper, GA drove it cross country and shipped it home. The only think I didn't like was the local (Lack of) Service Dept. Mileage averaged 22-23 with a high of 26 on strictly HWY trips once in a while. Loved the torque but that dropped when Jeep realized the auto tranny couldn't keep up with it and sent a service order out to reflash the motor and detune it a bit. The change to ceramic glowplugs was expensive, it was a conversation starter, best thing I ever did was buy an extended warranty which paid for itself the first time I took it in with a dead trans!

Sold it two years ago when I went overseas, they are all over europe with six speeds and proper service (Italian VM Diesel) and euro auto dealership accuracy.

Do I miss it, kind of since it was long paid for, bought a Tacoma when I came home six weeks ago, given HI's diesel prices I'm burning more fuel but spending about the same. Diesel over here just "Dropped" to $4.79 at Shell, Regular is $3.89....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Why they ever designed a diesel with a rubber timing belt is beyond me. Maybe not a big deal - but never thought that was a great idea, seems wimpy.
From what I hear it may be; I recall at least one comment from a guy with regards to the ability to handle WVO - something to do with the IP.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,051
Quote:
I've never driven the diesel but had a long-term rental in a Liberty with the 3.7L engine. I beat the living #$%t out of that thing and I tested the "trail rated" badge they slapped on the side of it. I came away actually liking it and I wasn't able to kill it but I'm sure that thing died an early death. It seems like the fuel mileage advantage of the diesel will be zilch when you figure in our local diesel prices which (in CT) are nearly a buck higher than regular gas per gallon. I seriously doubt it will go farther on a dollar of fuel than the gasser. It would be very tight with four people and all their gear for a weekend skiing but with a roof box it would be doable.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #38
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
I'm not so much a "hater" as I am a "you could do a lot better for the money" kinda guy.

And I did take one as a demo for a week or two back when I sold cars. Compared to the other used cars on the lot it was a pretty miserable little vehicle. Squeaks, rattles, the cheapest looking and feeling interior. I wanted to like the thing because it was a unique vehicle and I'm into that.

It's the Internet. Some people are going to tell you they're the best vehicle in the world, get 45 mpg, and wipe you're ass. Others will say the opposite. In the end it's your money. If you like the thing buy it.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
but with a roof box it would be doable.
Oh...I have a rare camo roof box that for the right price could make its way home with you.....

05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #40
Ritalin Boy OP
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
It's funny how things work out sometimes...

I was pretty close on a few CRD's last week but didn't pull the trigger. A leading candidate was in Washington State. Getting it home wouldn't be such an issue as I'm going to the west coast at the end of the month, but alas it sold. It was almost exactly what I was looking for right down to the color and it only had 69,000 miles. It went for 13k

Next up was one in WI with 85k with an asking price of 14. Pass.

Then the other day one pops up right here in Providence. Owned by a retired state worker it is an 06 Limited with 40,800 miles. It's perfect in every detail. I was ready to conclude the test drive at the bank but she didn't have the title so she got a deposit and I get to wait a few days...
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #41
maxxgraphix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Jeep CRD

I got one for sale here in Mason, Ohio.
$9k?
I'm not sure what the electrical problems are cause I haven't had any.
Yes the EGR is a problem. But I installed the SEGR kit that bypasses that problem.
It's a great running motor and the AVG mpg is 22mpg on a stock tune.
You can do better with the GDE eco tune.
http://www.bigstickers.net
maxxgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: