Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #7171
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 942
upper tank bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
i have a 690 coming to me in the next few days i read about the tank bolts and seen the offering from various vendors but the prices seen quite excessive.... for a few bolts.

Any reason why I cant just replace the originals wiith stronger bolts ?

i also believe the tank bushes are part of the problem, i heard some one makes replacements - who? or where on the tank are the bushes?
I had my upper tank bolts kinda made for cheap. Ground off the threaded part ( that breaks) and had it drilled and tapped out then put in a new stronger threaded piece. So far so good and it only cost $20 to do both sides.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #7172
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I had my upper tank bolts kinda made for cheap. Ground off the threaded part ( that breaks) and had it drilled and tapped out then put in a new stronger threaded piece. So far so good and it only cost $20 to do both sides.
There are several ways to skin this cat....I bought hardened bolts and used a Delrin shoulder to replace my stock bolts....no problems at this point....I think it was a $10 fix.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #7173
StepOnIt
Assitoner

lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
There are several ways to skin this cat....I bought hardened bolts and used a Delrin shoulder to replace my stock bolts....no problems at this point....I think it was a $10 fix.
Yes I did the same thing on the lower tank bolts also, easy fix. It was the upper ones that made me think of a cheaper (KLR) way to fix them lol.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #7174
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Really liking the RR EVO2 tanks, they sure do snug in very well!

The only issue I had with the install was mounting my upgraded Reg/Rect, I need to make a bracket to position it lower. My RR has plugs instead of leads, so the width is wider than the stock R/R that comes on the 690. Personally, I think it's in a better place for cooling anyway but it's also probably more prone to damage. I'll post pics when I get it sorted out!

The HDB Nav tower is great, love the simplicity and the dual Squadrons should provide plenty of light
Old 02-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #7175
DirtRideRoader
Armed and Dangerous

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
How did you remove the broken piece out of the frame? Drill and easy out or can you just thread it out to the inside with a pair of visegrips?
IBA #23263
DirtRideRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #7176
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Really liking the RR EVO2 tanks, they sure do snug in very well!

The only issue I had with the install was mounting my upgraded Reg/Rect, I need to make a bracket to position it lower. My RR has plugs instead of leads, so the width is wider than the stock R/R that comes on the 690. Personally, I think it's in a better place for cooling anyway but it's also probably more prone to damage. I'll post pics when I get it sorted out!

The HDB Nav tower is great, love the simplicity and the dual Squadrons should provide plenty of light
Can you put up a front shot of bike?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #7177
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Can you put up a front shot of bike?

Thanks
Best I can do at the moment....

Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #7178
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,088
Hdb

Thanks looks great. Might have to get one..
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #7179
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,101
Very slick Aaron...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #7180
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Very slick Aaron...
Thanks Bob! It's all coming together, the EFI is working very well. Slowly dialing in the tuning and it just keeps getting better. It should be pretty damn close to 70 hp at the rear wheel,when all is said and done. 12 ft lb gain in the mid range after the last dyno session. You can take it for a spin in Mexico if you want!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #7181
StepOnIt
Assitoner

vise grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRideRoader View Post
How did you remove the broken piece out of the frame? Drill and easy out or can you just thread it out to the inside with a pair of visegrips?
I was lucky that there was enough thread left to get some vise grips on it from the inside. Also I notice in my friends driveway vs on the trail. I did the other side vs waiting for it to fail.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #7182
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Man, this bike is sweet, but boy do I hate being 5"8. I might have to sell it or trade it for a different bike. Gonna try a link first.
Get a 2012 model much lower. I am 5"9 and still tippy toes, but easily doeable and does not bother me at all!!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #7183
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 690R View Post
Get a 2012 model much lower. I am 5"9 and still tippy toes, but easily doeable and does not bother me at all!!

Chris
I'm 5'8" too. I had Superplush Suspension (in CA, USA) respring, revalve, and lower the bike 1.5". The only disadvantage is that I have only 8.5" of travel now, but I don't ride the bike like I did with my KTM/Thumperracing 320 XCF-W.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #7184
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Trail Tech Voyager KTM 690 Install w/LFI

Destroyed my stock instrument cluster while on an enduro ride this weekend. Looks like the stock replacement is around $330. Also looking at the trail tech voyager as a possible replacement. Would save me about $50. Has anyone else put one of these on their 690 yet? It doesn't look like they make a model specific version, which would mean you would have to run separate leads for all of the monitoring and bypass the stock wiring harness. Not sure how I feel about that. Also, I'm guessing theres no low fuel indicator or Fault Indicator lamp access as well.

The FI I'm not as concerned about, but lack of LFI would be troubling. Anyone know if there's a way to rig a separate LFI lamp outside of the stock instrument cluster?

ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #7185
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I see a lot of people changing the lower tank bolt (good idea) but not too many people changing the bushings themselves. My lower bushings were sloppy as all hell by the time I hit 3k miles so I replaced them with Delrin bushings that I purchased from "partmaker" in the vendor's forum here on ADV. Absolutely no slop in the 9k miles since!
This.

I went through a few sets on my 08 in the first 15k miles. Installed the Delrin ones from Partsmaker, and no issues for the 15k miles after that. I'll probably end up pulling them out of the 08, and installing in the 2012 at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote