Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #4471
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I guess you made it back, Dan.

You're gonna wonder why you waited so long to get a Duc. I just love mine. The best handling bike I have ever had.
Hello Roger, I came to the same conclusion when I did a little over 1200 mile on a MTS in Italy and Sicily last October. Thought about it for a week and decided I had to have one. My wife didn't even twitch.
Reno dealer is refusing to give me my $500.00 deposit back... so far. No service or warranty work for those short sighted jerks from me. The dumb asses.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4472
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,508
Cool wife, Dan.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #4473
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Cool wife, Dan.
Yeah ... that she is. Sun's out today. Should get up to 40 degree. Good enough to ride.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #4474
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS N RVN View Post
I am seriously considering the new DUC but concerned about the ability to ride dirt and gravel. Feedback please. The GS is a big beast off road But it never stopped me from taking the road less traveled. Can the Multi handle forest service roads?
Yes, it can handle forest service roads just fine. I've been on lots of them in the Sierras with mine. With the new TKC 80's in the 120 front/180 rear sizes, it can handle a lot more than that if the rider is willing. Just protect it (crash bars, real hand guards, REAL side cases that can take a beating, etc) and you'll be fine. The MTS12 feels like a big dirt bike compared to my old GS. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the Multi feels loads lighter and less top heavy. You can feel this just by pushing it around in the garage, and it translates directly when out riding it.

As another poster said, really nasty surfaces are where the Multi is less appropriate because 1) the 17" front wheel wants to fall into every little nook and cranny there is, and 2) the wheels are strong, but not invincible, and at > $1k to replace, hitting rocks at speed is unwise. I can't comment on the report of fasteners vibrating loose on corrugated surfaces because it's never happened to me and I've not read of it happening to others, but then few people take their Mutleys on that sort of surface.

Bottom line, if you want an upright sport-touring bike that can handle dirt and gravel roads and can absolutely burn up twisty back roads, the Multi is a fine choice.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #4475
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 160
I am seriously thinking of selling my '06 Triumph Tiger and pulling the trigger on a '13 MTS PP. I have read all the posts and the only thing that has me wondering is that I have read several folks raving about how great the 1200 is and that you should get one, but when I look at their sig, they have either sold theirs or it is currently for sale.

What's up wit dat?
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4476
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperama View Post
I am seriously thinking of selling my '06 Triumph Tiger and pulling the trigger on a '13 MTS PP. I have read all the posts and the only thing that has me wondering is that I have read several folks raving about how great the 1200 is and that you should get one, but when I look at their sig, they have either sold theirs or it is currently for sale.

What's up wit dat?
I'm keeping mine. Anybody else with one have an opinion?
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #4477
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:

What's up wit dat?
I traded my 2010 1200 on a 2013 1200. There was no question which new bike I'd get, though I did go from a standard to a touring.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #4478
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
TKC 80's in the 120 front/180 rear sizes, it can handle a lot more than that if the rider is willing. Just protect it (crash bars, real hand guards, REAL side cases that can take a beating, etc) and you'll be fine. The MTS12 feels like a big dirt bike compared to my old GS. I don't care what the spec sheets say, the Multi feels loads lighter and less top heavy. You can feel this just by pushing it around in the garage, and it translates directly when out riding it.

the Multi is a fine choice.

-SM
Agreed!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #4479
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:

What's up wit dat?
Fair question. In my case, it's 110% due to ME. Absolutely nothing wrong with the bike at all. I just happen to turn into a juvenile delinquent when I ride my Duc and figure I better save myself from myself before I end up a statistic. The bike is so dang effortless to ride fast it just happens without even trying. One minute you're working your way through rush hour traffic, the next minute you look down and realize you're doing 90+mph and treating the cages like orange cones on an obstacle course. I even tried putting myself in a 100HP mode "time out" in an attempt to chill out and stop riding like a doofus. That lasted a day. Don't get me wrong. The bike will drone all day long on the freeway at the posted limit and be super comfy and not mind at all.....I just can't seem to stand that.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #4480
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I think if you are a sport tourer the Multi has great assets although for me, it's a little cramped. If you are looking for a sport bike or big twin enduro I would recommending heading a different direction.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #4481
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Fair question. In my case, it's 110% due to ME. Absolutely nothing wrong with the bike at all. I just happen to turn into a juvenile delinquent when I ride my Duc and figure I better save myself from myself before I end up a statistic. The bike is so dang effortless to ride fast it just happens without even trying. One minute you're working your way through rush hour traffic, the next minute you look down and realize you're doing 90+mph and treating the cages like orange cones on an obstacle course. I even tried putting myself in a 100HP mode "time out" in an attempt to chill out and stop riding like a doofus. That lasted a day. Don't get me wrong. The bike will drone all day long on the freeway at the posted limit and be super comfy and not mind at all.....I just can't seem to stand that.

-SM
You've just described me on my MTS

I've thought of selling mine for the same reason, the bike is addictive. As I use mine for a daily commute slog I do sometimes tire of its vibey eagerness. Something a little smoother and more relaxing might get me through the week easier
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #4482
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Was a warm enough yesterday to take my new Multistrada S out on some roads that I am very familiar with.

This bike is "Tits".
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4483
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I bought mine the end of August without a test ride....I 'knew' I didn't need to test ride it! Haven't ridden much the last two months due to weather, but took it put yesterday after a spring change. Yes, the bike has some issues, but for sheer FUN and putting a smile on your face, nothing I've ridden comes close.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #4484
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
You noticed that, too...

Quote:

What's up wit dat?
As an "early adopter" of the MTS1200S, I'd currently have 43,000 miles on the beast if I hadn't totalled the first one on hoarfrost in Colorado. Replaced it with the identical bike; just turned 30,000 miles.

I ride 20-25K miles/year, and my primary concern with the Multi was long-term reliability. So far it's been admirable, and neither bike gave me any serious problems in several cross-USA jaunts.

I've test-ridden just about everything (lookin' forward to the new GS), but so far nothing has fit me as well as the Multi 1200 (I'm a little guy: 5-8, 145). With the addition of the Tuneboy electronic cruise control (and of course real handguards, etc.), the bike is just about perfect for my needs as a long-distance tourer/backroad explorer. Apparently, unlike some others, I don't have a problem with "self-control."

Cheers,

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #4485
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Both Edelwiess and Adriatic motor tours offer Ducati's in their tour packages. Since they lease bike for two years at a time I don't think they would do that if the Ducati's were mechanically problematic.