ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 359 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #5956
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
Look I got one of them fancy high roof vans now, wait no that's just snow.

hope you weren't in a hurry

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #5957
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I believe I have 3.55 gearing, and the tires are quite a bit taller. I'd actually like to go to lower gearing, since we do tow a travel trailer fairly often, but when not towing it is nice.
My PSD* had 4.10s in the rear. Was geared to pull at 55mph. Anything over say 62-65mph and it started sucking fuel.

Around town I could get 14-17mpg but that was treating the go pedal gently. Cruising on the freeway I'd get 20-22mpg at 62-65mph. Less than that if I went faster. It'd do 80mph, but it didn't like it.

I don't remember what the sweet spot for that engine was, but whatever it was, it hit it at 55mph. 1850rpm comes to mind, but someone needs to check that. Its been a few years since the ex- got the truck in the divorce.

M
*2wd extended cab, long bed with a cap on it
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #5958
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
My PSD* had 4.10s in the rear. Was geared to pull at 55mph. Anything over say 62-65mph and it started sucking fuel.

Around town I could get 14-17mpg but that was treating the go pedal gently. Cruising on the freeway I'd get 20-22mpg at 62-65mph. Less than that if I went faster. It'd do 80mph, but it didn't like it.

I don't remember what the sweet spot for that engine was, but whatever it was, it hit it at 55mph. 1850rpm comes to mind, but someone needs to check that. Its been a few years since the ex- got the truck in the divorce.

M
*2wd extended cab, long bed with a cap on it
The sweet spot on the Stalker Van is 82mph. I know my GPS showed over 100 one time after passing some trucks, but with a full load of motos and camping gear, that didn't seem like a good cruising speed.

On trips where we take 2-lanes and cruise at about 65, I sometimes get 22-23mpg. Usually though, running 70-75, it's in the 19 or 20 range. I do love the tall gears.

(pic, just because. )

__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #5959
garandman
Beastly Adventurer
 
garandman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 5,803
So when is the official availability for the Transit in US?
__________________
2012 WR250R, 2009 TW200, 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS, 2008 CRF100F

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #5960
JN3n
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JN3n's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: A Racetrack Somewhere
Oddometer: 168
Third quarter 2013.
__________________
JN3n
JN3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #5961
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,038
The sweet spot on my 5.4 is about 67. I really wish I had cruise control since I am always creeping above that. At 67 I can get almost 18 with bikes in it, at 75-80 I get around 15. That is GPS corrected, with the bigger tires my odo/speedo read slightly low.
__________________
"Remember that an enduro tests the endurance of three things: your machine, your body, and your wits. Only one has to fail to keep you from reaching the finish line." Cycle World March 1966
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #5962
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
So when is the official availability for the Transit in US?
It used to be late 2013, now according to their website it's early 2014, whatever that means...

On the Canadian website the Transit will be available with the 2.3 Powerstroke engine After all, 2.3 or 3.2 is same thing for whomever inputed the text...

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #5963
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
It used to be late 2013, now according to their website it's early 2014, whatever that means...

On the Canadian website the Transit will be available with the 2.3 Powerstroke engine After all, 2.3 or 3.2 is same thing for whomever inputed the text...

Ko
Maybe they were just converting Canadian litres to US liters. The Canadian ones are bigger, I heard.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #5964
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Maybe they were just converting Canadian litres to US liters. The Canadian ones are bigger, I heard.

Nope, no excuse... the litters are the same, the gallon is bigger over here

Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #5965
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft, Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
The sweet spot on the Stalker Van is 82mph.
Which happens to be the exact speed Mercedes governed my Sprinter to never exceed.

Coincidence?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #5966
Hayduke OP
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Which happens to be the exact speed Mercedes governed my Sprinter to never exceed.

Coincidence?
Wanna run 'em for pink slips?
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #5967
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,337
I do not need another vehicle

I do not need another vehicle, I do not need another vehicle........................

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/3605568941.html
__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #5968
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft, Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Wanna run 'em for pink slips?
Sure but we have to do it "top gear challenge" style.

We first have to load a cargo of my choosing in our vans.. then drive 2 miles and then unload it.
First one with the cargo there (undamaged) wins


Here's the cargo I choose: a 6 foot diameter sphere



..er... on second thought.. let me check how wide my door openings are

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #5969
Ko
Observant as never
 
Ko's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: a spot in the prairies
Oddometer: 1,108
Camperizing

Looking for suggestions on small shops in Canada willing to camperize and convert vans to 4x4. Thus far I contacted the folks at Sportsman, waiting to hear from them.

Was planning on contacting Chris at Ujoint for a 4x4 conversion and camperizing, but that dream got crushed- the wonderful people at the border will impound my van if they sniff that was modified in US

I'm looking to transform my conversion van with useless ceiling lights into something similar to THIS , just more reliable

thanks,
Ko
__________________
no snowflake ever feels responsible for the avalanche...

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #5970
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder
 
Ruffus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Erie,Ontario
Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Looking for suggestions on small shops in Canada willing to camperize and convert vans to 4x4. Thus far I contacted the folks at Sportsman, waiting to hear from them.

Was planning on contacting Chris at Ujoint for a 4x4 conversion and camperizing, but that dream got crushed- the wonderful people at the border will impound my van if they sniff that was modified in US

I'm looking to transform my conversion van with useless ceiling lights into something similar to THIS , just more reliable

thanks,
Ko
While I was searching for a van on Kijjiji, I always noticed at the top of the page advertisements for 4 wheel drive conversions. You may want to look there for another option.

Found a link

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ440111275
__________________
We spend our lives chipping away at our ignorance :wisdom by Dakez

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??



Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510

Ruffus screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:04 AM
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014