Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #91
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
You said you had a 2.5 manual. You did not have VTD: you had the most basic Subaru AWD system with the clutch pack center differential, which is not "electronic." Like the cute-ute class vehicles you mentioned, it is a light duty system with open differentials if you purchased the 2.5i, the cheapest model.

In other words, you are 100% correct in having the least expensive and least capable Subaru system of the several they offer. And have moved on. Good luck.
Neither of mine were the base model and had all of the electronics as well as an alleged "defeat" button to override those systems. It is a shame that Subaru hides the fact that they sell so many different awd systems. Rather than call out the fact that most models don't have true limited slip differentials they just removed that information from the website and catalog, at least when I was buying. They now just use "virtual" limited slip like all the competition with traction control applying brakes to spinning wheels and killing forward momentum when you need it most.

After my subaru experience I gave up on awd as too much of a comprimise and use our 4wd truck with a V8 that only gets about 6 mpg worse than the subaru with a 4cyl did. I'd still have mine if they weren't lemons with numerous quality/build issues.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #92
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Neither of mine were the base model and had all of the electronics as well as an alleged "defeat" button to override those systems. It is a shame that Subaru hides the fact that they sell so many different awd systems. Rather than call out the fact that most models don't have true limited slip differentials they just removed that information from the website and catalog, at least when I was buying. They now just use "virtual" limited slip like all the competition with traction control applying brakes to spinning wheels and killing forward momentum when you need it most.

After my subaru experience I gave up on awd as too much of a comprimise and use our 4wd truck with a V8 that only gets about 6 mpg worse than the subaru with a 4cyl did. I'd still have mine if they weren't lemons with numerous quality/build issues.
Yup,. you've beaten that point into all of us.

What model, exactly, did you have?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #93
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Yup,. you've beaten that point into all of us.

What model, exactly, did you have?
2010 Outback 2.5i Premium, manual transmission (bought back by soa and then sold to an unsuspecting buyer)

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, manual transmission (traded away)
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #94
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,881
Hey Garandman

What can you tell me about the traction control and stability control in my BRZ?

It has a VSC sport button: By default , normal VSC is working, and the traction control is also on. If i press the VSC button, it goes into sport mode, and a light comes in in the dash that shows the traction control is off. But it is not fully off, and if I press it seems like I can shut off the traction control all the way, and a light comes in that says TRAC off.

Yesterday i took it out on some windy roads I know really well, put it in VSC sport mode, and I could get the car to do slight drifts around corners, even a tiny bit of oversteer, as compared to having it in VSC normal mode. Not getting too crazy yet, it only has five hundred miles on it

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #95
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
Citation needed.

In terms of market share, Subaru used to have about 1% overall in the US. They had 4% in New England, 6% in Colorado, and 8% in Vermont. In Massachusetts, the Outback is the number one nameplate in 40 of the state's 326 cities and towns.

FWIW the lighter Impreza does not have as many head gasket problems as the much heavier Outback wagon. The old Imprezas had the Subaru 2.2 - a nearly indestructible engine, even when cared for by hippies, ski bums, and skinflints.
hard to believe the numbers are that low

I think my perception of their numbers is occluded by the fact that I live in Boulder and my parents live in Northampton MA, cities which are known as being extremely liberal and Subarus seem to be favored by the Liberals (and if there were no snow they'd probably all be in Prius'). Boulder County has 2 Subaru Dealerships and a 3rd Independent Used Dealership that deals strictly in Subaru. And those 3 Dealerships are BUSY! Mitsubishi & Suzuki (the other 2 small Japanese marks) have ZERO dealers! and they both make AWD cars as well. I still think Subaru has to be doing something right, despite the vocal minority claiming they're the worst car since their 1970s Pinto.

You don't even need much statistical data to enforce the fact there's a lot of Subarus and Jeeps on the road, when your local accident reports read like this:
Quote:
The Boulder Daily Camera reported a Jeep hit the back of a Subaru station wagon while both were headed east on U.S. 36 around 8 a.m. The Jeep lost control and began to flip, ejecting the male driver.

The Subaru hit the median and was then slammed into by another Jeep. The driver of the Subaru and the second Jeep were not hurt.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #96
padiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I have a 2009 Impreza Outback Sport stick. It now has about 95K miles and other than filters,oil, plugs and belts (which were just changed) it has not had one issue.

I Googled up this article: http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-...ems-explained/

I found the battery/electrical system/head gasket comment in the article very interesting. The old buck sales guy (he was retiring the week I bought the car after a career of Subaru sales) specifically told me to not run all the electrical equipment and the fog lights as it overstressed the electrical system. Seemed odd at the time but, based on the above article, perhaps there was more buried in his comment.

I used to run CRVs, to the tune of about 400K miles combined on two. Although they liked to dance when faced with hydroplaning the awd worked very well. I was always confident in the traction with them. With the Subaru I’ve just never felt as confident in the traction. I even run Nitto ice tires now. Although it doesn’t seem to suffer the wondering that the CRV did with the hydroplaning the Subaru just seems to break loose more so than what the CRV did.

Only comment I ever heard bad about the Rav4 was from an autobody shop. Seems that the rear mounted tire really causes an inordinate amount of damage if pushed into the back of the car.

For me, I'm really only concerned about an external coolant leak as the cats and dog like to hang out in the garage. Has anyone here actually had an external coolant leak on a more recent year Subaru?
padiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #97
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
hard to believe the numbers are that low

I think my perception of their numbers is occluded by the fact that I live in Boulder and my parents live in Northampton MA, cities which are known as being extremely liberal and Subarus seem to be favored by the Liberals (and if there were no snow they'd probably all be in Prius'). Boulder County has 2 Subaru Dealerships and a 3rd Independent Used Dealership that deals strictly in Subaru. And those 3 Dealerships are BUSY! Mitsubishi & Suzuki (the other 2 small Japanese marks) have ZERO dealers! and they both make AWD cars as well. I still think Subaru has to be doing something right, despite the vocal minority claiming they're the worst car since their 1970s Pinto.

It depends on where you live. I live in Minnesota and spend a lot of time in N. Wisconsin as well. Subarus are everywhere around here. In the Twin Cities, I think there are 5 or 6 dealers, plus one in Duluth, and one in St. Cloud.

I'm not sure, but I thought I remember hearing that there were some fairly large Southern cities that had no Subaru dealer at all. Basically, if you live in or near an area that traditionally gets a lot of snow, you'll see them.

As for Suzuki and Mitsubishi. The former is pulling out of the US market, and the latter better do something quick or they'll have to as well. Subaru has a niche market, and are very successful in it. Mitsubishi doesn't.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #98
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Oh, and if I could find one that hadn't been turned entirely to Iron Oxide, I'd be all over one of these.

discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #99
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
I have to say that I am quite happy with my 2011 3.6 Limited OB and the average mileage over the last 4000 miles has been 26 MPG. That is city/highway driving and towing my boat. I have to agree on the interior parts being somewhat on the cheap side compared to my mom's 2007 Outback, but all in all the car does what I want from it. The 3.6 actually tows my boat better than the gas-guzzler Chevy Avalanche it replaced. Never any wheelspin on the crappy boat ramps we have down here.
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #100
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,506
Thought I would share this.

My 2002 has had a big hesitation/stuttering problem for a couple years. No mechanic could figure it out, took it to the go to Subaru guy locally, the dealer as well.

The independent Subaru guy spent about 12 hours diagnosing (he didn't charge me) but couldn't figure it out.

Fast forward to now, I decided to change plugs and wires as a last resort.

Problem solved.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #101
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post

My 2002 has had a big hesitation/stuttering problem for a couple years. No mechanic could figure it out, took it to the go to Subaru guy locally, the dealer as well.

The independent Subaru guy spent about 12 hours diagnosing (he didn't charge me) but couldn't figure it out.

Problem solved.
good job! call them back and tell them you solved the problem and want a job as a subie mechanic
mr openroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #102
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
good job! call them back and tell them you solved the problem and want a job as a subie mechanic
I think I might. The independent guy is supposed to be a savant, I understand that the dealership goes to him on stuff they can't figure out.

I think he was too smart for his own good.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #103
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post

Problem solved.
BTDT, just without the time and money wasted on parts replacers (sometimes called "mechanics"). That's Subaru 101; solution available on almost any internet forum search.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #104
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
so this head gasket problem is a thing of the past right ? and only on earlier models ?
mr openroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #105
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
so this head gasket problem is a thing of the past right ? and only on earlier models ?
i'd say the jury is still out on that.

i'm getting new gaskets on my '07 with 110,000 miles. small external leak, but annoying.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: