Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 304 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #2941
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim View Post
The pieces move the same as their standard chess equivalents, and can also move vertically. For example, like a knight in standard chess, white's parasaurolophus and black's stegosaurus can move forward two and over one, but they can also move up, or down, two and over one, or up or down one and over two. Simple, really.

Really....?
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #2942
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,102
Having just purchased my first house about 10 months ago, I'm new to a lot of this and still setting up my shop/tools, etc.

It's kind of intimidating to post here because some of you guys are true artisan craftsmen on a level I could never reach. Alas, we learn as we go, right?

Homemade mantel with wrapped metal bands. The wood was being used as a jack support holding up a semi trailer at a local thrift/antique store. I tell people it was a reclaimed plank off a Spanish Galleon that I found while walking along the Northern CA shoreline.

Halfway through. (the wood was in rough shape, but strong as hell. No idea what type of wood it is)

Finished. I didn't make the hangers, ordered them.

I know it's not a big deal, but I'm pretty proud of it. It took me a couple of dozen hours and I did everything by hand. Working with the metal was a PITA, I actually asked Smithy for some help. (Thanks mate) Squared off the nuts for that medieval look. I was going to use 4 dummy screws, but went with 2 nut/bolts that went through. Less hassle and much more stout.

Antique door. Looks off-white, but this side is actually pink hued. Shame, because the distressed look is much cooler on this side.

Made it into our headboard.

Antique windows make great picture frames.

That's all I got. Love this thread, you get lots of cool ideas looking at other peoples work.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #2943
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Here's another one I made. The "bread truck" was an International Metro. You made have known this guy......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #2944
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Having just purchased my first house about 10 months ago, I'm new to a lot of this and still setting up my shop/tools, etc.

It's kind of intimidating to post here because some of you guys are true artisan craftsmen on a level I could never reach. Alas, we learn as we go, right?

Homemade mantel with wrapped metal bands. The wood was being used as a jack support holding up a semi trailer at a local thrift/antique store. I tell people it was a reclaimed plank off a Spanish Galleon that I found while walking along the Northern CA shoreline.

Halfway through. (the wood was in rough shape, but strong as hell. No idea what type of wood it is)

I know it's not a big deal, but I'm pretty proud of it. It took me a couple of dozen hours and I did everything by hand. Working with the metal was a PITA, I actually asked Smithy for some help. (Thanks mate) Squared off the nuts for that medieval look. I was going to use 4 dummy screws, but went with 2 nut/bolts that went through. Less hassle and much more stout.

Antique door. Looks off-white, but this side is actually pink hued. Shame, because the distressed look is much cooler on this side.

Made it into our headboard.

Antique windows make great picture frames.

That's all I got. Love this thread, you get lots of cool ideas looking at other peoples work.

I like it!
I showed my wife the window picture frame thing, was trying to explain a similar project the other night and she couldn't visualize it.

What's those big ass fish you got there?

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #2945
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Here's one I'm fairly proud of. The doors will have seeded glass and the customers finisher will antique/faux finish it.
It's going in a kitchen I just finished.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #2946
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post

Sorry dude, you were a parts supplier, your wife made those.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #2947
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
Sorry dude, you were a parts supplier, your wife made those.
Technically still part of the supply chain.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #2948
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
You have nothing to be intimidated about! Nice work! I am jealous of people who can make things like this. I love the way projects like this look when they are finished, but I am so neurotically anal when it comes to detail that I would be trying to fill every worm hole and sand out every blemish, even though those are the details that make it what it is.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #2949
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:

That's real sharp!
Their motto is, "Don't tread on me."
HamboneSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #2950
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post
I like it!
I showed my wife the window picture frame thing, was trying to explain a similar project the other night and she couldn't visualize it.

What's those big ass fish you got there?
Thanks for the kudos guys. The mantel means a lot to me because as I said, we finally bought a home after renting for 22+ years and it's the first thing I made for the house.

The fish were from my most epic Montauk trip, June 14, 2008. 34 and 37lb stripers caught off the surf. Buddy (with waders on) used a bunker chunk, mine (shorts) was a pencil popper at 6am.

The fishing and my friends are the only things I miss about the East Coast. Being 2hrs from Montauk was special.

Quote:
Here's one I'm fairly proud of. The doors will have seeded glass and the customers finisher will antique/faux finish it.

You made this all by hand?
Ho-ly shit that's beautiful mate.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #2951
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:

Nice cabinet! Be sure to post pics with the finish & the completed kitchen.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2952
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
The fish were from my most epic Montauk trip, June 14, 2008. 34 and 37lb stripers caught off the surf. Buddy (with waders on) used a bunker chunk, mine (shorts) was a pencil popper at 6am.

The fishing and my friends are the only things I miss about the East Coast. Being 2hrs from Montauk was special.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #2953
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
It's kinda sad, thinking back now. I remember my high school had a fully stocked wood shop in the back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
I remember when I was in grade 11 or 12 the "industrial arts" program change to "career and technology studies". What used to be a decent shared shop for a really small junior and senior high school ( we had a shop we could stuff about 6 cars in, a few welding booths, a paint room, a dark room, a good sized wood working area with several wood lathes, etc) is now NON EXISTENT. They do some wood stuff still I think, but the shop is GONE... the school got remodeled and all of the hands on stuff is gone.
I agree entirely how this country is on a misguided path. It is no wonder all of or products are made oversees. We seem to only want to train our kids to design the products, but they are clueless on how to actually build them because they were never given the chance to learn how. This country has a tendency to treat kids who aren't headed to college as substandard people. It is somehow less important to be a craftsman than an engineer. I can say I am proud to wash my hands before I go to the bathroom.

If there is one small positive to the trades leaving the schools, it is guys like me who reap the benefits! Check out the two Rockwell/Delta cabinet saws I picked up off of Craigslist for $1250. They originally came out of a high school. The guy I bought them from said the one worked and the other was for parts, but both were complete. I got them home and re-wired them and they both work great. They only came with one fence, so I bolted them together and keep a dado set on the one on the right. I looked up the model numbers online, and one was built in 1948 and the other is from 1952. They were ugly when I got them, but a wire wheel and a fresh coat of paint does wonders.

I also have a Crescent/Rockwell (Rockwell, pre-Delta!) 8" 4-knife jointer that dates back to 1943. These old tools have been in daily service for the last 7 years without a single problem. I bought a brand new Delta 5hp shaper around the same time and have had so many problems with the motor, bearings, vibration, etc... I will never buy another new "major" tool again if I can help it.

Before you comment on the clean shop, trust me - it has not been that clean since!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #2954
HamboneSlim
ಠ_ಠ

Delivered this today:

It's big, but looks small in it's new home.

It's a stereo cabinet: flipper doors, ventilation, cd storage, etc.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #2955
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post

I also have a Crescent/Rockwell (Rockwell, pre-Delta!) 8" 4-knife jointer that dates back to 1943. These old tools have been in daily service for the last 7 years without a single problem.

Before you comment on the clean shop, trust me - it has not been that clean since!
Picked up the same jointer from a school auction in Terra Haute for $60. A little TLC and new blades and it runs great.
Yukon65006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: