User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 854 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #28591
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
What is involved in qualifying for a CMP status to acquire a Garand?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #28592
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What is involved in qualifying for a CMP status to acquire a Garand?
Pretty straightforward. You need:
  • Proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate)
  • Membership of an affiliated club (local or national org)
  • Proof of firearms training (ex: hunter safety)

"Hardest" part is the affiliated club membership. This can be a national org such as Garand Collectors Assoc, Glock Shooting Sports Assoc. Sometimes local ranges and clubs are too. Find a CMP Affiliated Club!

Submit notarized paperwork and payment, the green rifle case will show up. You can attach a post it note if you're looking for something specific and the CMP crew will do their best, but generally it's luck of the draw. Another option is to visit one of their stores in person, or have someone visit and pick one out for you. Several folks on the CMP forums will do this for a nominal fee ($25-60), and this allows you to really fine tune your rifle. I've done this and was very happy with the result.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #28593
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 8,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Sometimes local ranges and clubs are too. Find a CMP Affiliated Club!
Linky no workie...
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #28594
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Linky no workie...
works for me !
mustang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #28595
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Linky no workie...

try this one http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #28596
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #28597
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Thanks for the replies.
So which is it? Do you own a Penton Six Days or a Penton Mint 400?
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #28598
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
nope it was very clear, def a garand, full stock and very distinctive forend, BAR totally different. could you pull the trigger fast enough on an M1 to LOOK like its full auto? selective fire T20 came out in 1944, did any see service?
It may have had an unofficial "field" mod done to it. Which was very frowned upon at the time, since it could get the GI in question seriously injured.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #28599
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
So which is it? Do you own a Penton Six Days or a Penton Mint 400?
Mint flavor:

green fiberglass tastes minty but don't let the metal fenders touch your fillings.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #28600
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Pretty straightforward. You need:
  • Proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate)
  • Membership of an affiliated club (local or national org)
  • Proof of firearms training (ex: hunter safety)

"Hardest" part is the affiliated club membership. This can be a national org such as Garand Collectors Assoc, Glock Shooting Sports Assoc. Sometimes local ranges and clubs are too. Find a CMP Affiliated Club!

Submit notarized paperwork and payment, the green rifle case will show up. You can attach a post it note if you're looking for something specific and the CMP crew will do their best, but generally it's luck of the draw. Another option is to visit one of their stores in person, or have someone visit and pick one out for you. Several folks on the CMP forums will do this for a nominal fee ($25-60), and this allows you to really fine tune your rifle. I've done this and was very happy with the result.
I bought ammo from them, don't remember if that required club affiliation, but since I was an active peace officer at the time, they accepted that.

EDIT: Actually, here's an excerpt from their rules, looks like they also accept active or prior service in the military.

"Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc."

Speedo66 screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 12:34 PM
Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #28601
Powers77
2009 GSA

Oddometer: 163
[QUOTE=Powers77;20594973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
limp wristing could be a problem, but i would think that is something you would have experienced when you bought the gun years ago. however, it sounds like you don't like shooting that caliber, so you might consider switching to a 9mm glock that you'll enjoy more.

can you have someone else shoot the gun? that way you could rule out the limp wristing thing.

Just took it apart again and looked at the extractor under a magnifying glass. It does not appear "perfect". By that I mean its does not appear completely uniform in shape. Think I'll see about getting a replacement for it and see if that solves the problem.
In the mean time I may have someone else run a few mags through it to see if it is "me". Don't really think it is as although I'm not an expert I do shoot a fair amount (M&P 9mm, Buckmark .22, P238) and don't have any issues with any of the other guns. I'm not "hesitant" in shooting the 23 but after 50 rounds or so, the others are just more enjoyable to shoot. I practice with each that I intend as SD guns to remain proficient, including the 23.
Thanks to all that have replied. It has been helpful. I'll let you guys know when I get it sorted out.
Update for anyone following my issue with the G23. Took it to the range Sunday and got it to replicate the issue only twice out of 75 rounds. Think it may be the magazine as it occured when I started with only 5 rounds in my 13 round magazine. Same issue repeated with only the one magazine. I'm going to get a kit and rebuild both magazines. Hope it finally solves the problem. I also paid very close attention to my form so I really don't think I'm limp wristing it at all. No malfunctions at all with the one magazine.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #28602
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,176
[QUOTE=Powers77;20712746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post

Update for anyone following my issue with the G23. Took it to the range Sunday and got it to replicate the issue only twice out of 75 rounds. Think it may be the magazine as it occured when I started with only 5 rounds in my 13 round magazine. Same issue repeated with only the one magazine. I'm going to get a kit and rebuild both magazines. Hope it finally solves the problem. I also paid very close attention to my form so I really don't think I'm limp wristing it at all. No malfunctions at all with the one magazine.

Sounds like you’re on the right track with the magazine rebuilds, especially because new mags are close to impossible to find. I had a similar problem with a new G19 Gen 4 that I purchased about a year ago. I had frequent FTEs and even some double feeds. I know your 23 is older and a different caliber than my 19 but a couple of easy fixes I did that solved my problems may help you.
  • Added grip tape from Talon Grips – I’m a relatively new shooter and my main concern was that my grip was the cause of the failures.
  • Changed to Mil-Comm synthetic grease to lube my slide. I use it very sparingly, just a pin head drop on the slide rails.
  • Changed to higher pressure ammo – started using +P ammo with a heavier weighted bullet.

Since I made these three changes I haven’t had one FTE or FTF and have shot around 2K rounds. Granted myG19 is new and has the new spring, it’s smaller caliber than your 23 and probably failed for different reasons.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #28603
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 8,003
I'm developing a serious hankering for something chambered in .204 Ruger...
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #28604
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Still my fav : my little cartoon Hand-Cannon

L
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #28605
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
I'm developing a serious hankering for something chambered in .204 Ruger...
I just started reloading for .204 Ruger. No one has brass for any kind of reasonable price. In fact it is just as cheap to buy factory loads as it is to get new brass. Small rifle primers are next to impossible to get and powders for published loads are rarely available.

That said, I love the .204 Ruger. No recoil and extremely accurate. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 Ruger. I love this gun!
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: